Home' Greymouth Star : January 11th 2019 Contents Greymouth Star
Friday, January 11, 2019 - 3
Boy, 7, drowns at beach
A seven-year-old boy who went
missing in the sea at a Raglan surf
beach has died. Police said they were
alerted just after 3.30pm yesterday a
child was missing at Ocean Beach,
near the Raglan river mouth. After an
extensive search the boy was spotted
in the harbour by a helicopter about
5pm and brought to shore by the
coastguard. Emergency services tried
in vain to resuscitate the boy. — RN Z
Truck driver dies in crash
A truck driver died after his vehicle
rolled on State Highway 35, near
Tokomaru Bay.Emergency ser vices
were called to the incident about
6.40am. Police said the truck rolled
down a bank between Mata Road
and Kaiawha Road. They confirmed
the driver died. The road was closed
at the crash site and was expected to
stay closed for several hours. — RNZ
Bird strikes end flight
A flight from Auckland to Hong
Kong had to turn back after bird
strikes yesterday. Airways New
Zealand spokeswoman Emma Lee
said Cathay Pacific flight CX198, a
Boeing 777, departed from Auckland
at 3.51pm. It experienced bird strikes
shortly after take-off and the pilot
notified air traffic control the flight
would return to Auckland, she said.
The flight circled north of Auckland
for about 20 minutes to dispose of
fuel before landing without incident
about 4.40pm. — NZ C
Fire damages church
Firefighters fought a fire in a
church fire in Porirua, north of
Wellington early today. Fire and
Emergency New Zealand received
calls that Titahi Bay Baptist Church
was on fire just after midnight. It
took 20 firefighters about three
hours to get the blaze under control.
Police and a fire investigator were
investigating. — RNZ
Girl escapes injury
A 16-year-old girl escaped injury
after the car she was driving crashed
in Saleyards Road on Wednesday
evening. Emergency ser vices were
called about 7.15pm. The driver was
the sole occupant, a police spokesman
said. — Otago Daily Times
The paraglider pilot who crashed
at Treble Cone on Tuesday has been
transferred from Lakes District
Hospital to Christchurch. The man, in
his 30s, suffered serious injuries after
a heavy landing near the launching
area on the mountain about 11.30am
on Tuesday. No further information
about his condition was available.
— Otago Daily Times
Numbers in Keno draw No 16528:
45, 46, 47, 48, 54, 67, 71, 76. Draw No
16529: 2, 4, 8, 16, 18, 20, 22, 23, 24,
28, 29, 30, 32, 35, 39, 42, 44, 52, 54, 59.
Draw No 16530: 7, 12, 14, 23, 25, 28,
30, 36, 38, 43, 46, 47, 49, 51, 65, 67, 71,
75, 77, 80. Draw No 16531: 4, 6, 7, 11,
13, 16, 20, 21, 22, 29, 38, 43, 44, 51, 56,
65, 73, 76, 77, 78.
Population set for milestone
A well-known handcyclist is in a critical
condition in Christchurch Hospital after
being hit from behind while out riding
on Wednesday afternoon.
Ian Mark Walker became a paraplegic
after crashing into a truck while out
cycling about 10 years ago.
He recovered and took up handcycling,
later completing the New York Marathon
twice, in 2014 and 2017.
Achilles NZ co-founder and friend
Peter Loft said Walker was also the first
in their team to take part in the Auckland
Marathon last year after wheelchairs
were allowed to take part. — NZ C
Rescuers say the couple who were
airlifted to safety in Aoraki-Mount
Cook National Park yesterday afternoon
were well prepared for their trip.
The Australian couple in their 60s sent
out an alert using a personal locator
beacon at Ball Pass yesterday after they
became exhausted during bad weather.
Rescue Co-ordination Centre New
Zealand received an alert from Ball Pass
about 2pm, notifying Department of
Conser vation (DOC) staff.
DOC alpine search and rescue team
super visor Andrew Tindall said the
couple made good decisions in difficult
“They were well prepared, which was
excellent. They had good equipment,
good food, well prepped for the trip,
they had a locator beacon which they
activated at the right time, they made
sensible decision. They did everything
well, which was great considering how
bad it was on site,” Mr Tindall said.
He was one of four rescuers who were
sent to help the couple.
Winds reaching up to 80kph with light
sideways rain prevented an earlier rescue,
Instead rescuers were dropped off from
a helicopter 400m below the couple and
“They were a little bit distressed about
their situation. They were not in a great
location right at the top of the Ball Pass,”
Mr Tindall said.
Two rescuers set up a camp in a more
sheltered area 150m below while Mr
Tindall helped to support the couple.
“ We put big rocks and all that on
their tent, but their tent got blown away
during the night. That was left on-site.”
Winds reached up to 120kph, damaging
the rescuer’s tents, he said.
In the morning, they helped the couple
move down the mountain, using ropes,
to try to catch a break from the wind to
allow a helicopter rescue.
It was a race against the weather as
conditions were not expected to improve.
“ We got lucky that we got a nice little
fine period,” Mr Tindall said.
The couple and rescuers were returned
back to Mount Cook Village in good
spirits, he said. — RNZ
off Mt Cook
New Zealand’s population could
hit five million by the end of the
According to Statistics New
Zealand, the present population is
Statistics NZ senior demographer
Kim Dunstan said given current
trends, New Zealand’s population
could reach the five million milestone
by the end of 2019, or early 2020.
births, deaths and net migration,
Statistics NZ estimates that the
country’s population increases by
one person every five minutes and
The population hit three million
in 1973 and four million in 2003
but Mr Dunstan said that over
the last few years, the population
had grown particularly quickly.
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$N$NZZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
source: interest.co .nz
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest co nz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
source: interest.co .nz
mark tet move t
As at 4pm January 10, 2019
a2 Milk Company
1140 +4 20.74
ANZ Banking Gr
Auckland Intl Airpt
724 –4 0.12
607 +2 35.96
500 +3 0.15
Fonterra Share Fund
475 –5 55 .20
510 +1 2.16
Goodman Prop Tr
366 –3 7.83
216 –10 15.00
Kiwi Property Gr
138.5 +0.5 211.4
3148 +27 0.23
362 +1 20.81
538 +6 1.45
237 +2 0.03
99 –1 1.00
Port of Tauranga
147 –1 5.05
Prop for Industry
333 +1 5.91
1100 +2 8.35
Sky Network TV
Stride Prop & Inv
Summerset Gr Hldgs
499 +4 0.01
Trade Me Gr
632 –1 0.86
Vista Gr Intl
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
207 +1 9.28
552 +3 2.99
Trading to 10:30am,
Friday, January 11, 2019
DECLINERS: 16 TRADED: 69
Aluminium High Grade
A laid-off Cadbury worker
hopes the last box of a cult classic
chocolate produced at the closed
Dunedin factory will help heal
the mental health wounds of
Containing 64 blocks of
Caramilk chocolate, the box was
snapped up last year by former
Cadbury front-line team leader
Megan Fairley, laid off after 17
years with the company.
The box contains bittersweet
memories for Ms Fairley.
About a year ago, her second-
floor night shift team produced
the last box of the popular
She is now appealing for ideas
from the public about what she
should do with the box.
Ms Fairley said she hoped
to raise money for a mental
health charity via the much-
loved confectionery, following
her experience with mental
health issues after she was made
“ It ’s about raising awareness of
the connection between mental
health and redundancy,” she
“The day you’re made redundant,
that’s not the end of it — that’s
Caramilk was originally
discontinued in 1994, but a
limited edition run in July 2017
led to a million blocks selling out
in just three weeks, before blocks
began changing hands for up to
The poor treatment of workers
by Cadbury owner Mondelez
during the redundancies did not
help their mental health, she
She spoke of the despondent
reaction of staff when it was
revealed the multinational owner
of D unedin’s Cadbury factory
stripped $130 million from its
New Zealand business before
it announced plans to close its
Dunedin factory with the loss of
about 350 jobs.
However, she also wanted to
raise awareness that there was
hope after redundancy.
“ You can go out there and make
Last year, the 39-year-old
launched shopping platform
Notion Fashion from her
Musselburgh home, aiming to
highlight Dunedin and New
Zealand designers, and she
planned to organise two other
events to raise money for mental
— Otago Daily Times
Sweet treat may ease mental wounds
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
Hoping to raise awareness of the mental health impact of redundancy via chocolate is former Cadbury
worker Megan Fairley, of Dunedin.
A group of Auckland workers who
returned from their summer holidays
to find they were jobless say their
livelihoods have been destroyed.
The iron casting company MFL Ltd
went into receivership on December 18,
leaving about 90 workers out in the cold.
Pati Pele was 23 when he began
working for the Mount Wellington
foundry as a machine moulder.
He said he climbed the ranks to
furnaceman over 30 years, but his career
was now in tatters after he was made
“ It’s not very good because my whole
life was over there, everything that I’ve
had. I was doing all right there and now
it ’s all a mess. My other workmates are
worse off than me, the ones who have
Mr Pele said the news came as a shock.
His team celebrated the end of the year
with a Christmas party before knocking
off for the holidays.
It was not until a colleague driving
past the foundry saw machinery getting
stashed into containers that they realised
something was wrong, he said.
“ We had no idea, we were already
on our holidays. It ’s a bit of a shock,
especially hearing from them if we could
all come back early to start back to work
early and then finding out that we were
actually closing down.”
MFL, formerly known as Masport
Foundries, made precision iron castings
and alloy products, which were sold here
It had been trading for more than
100 years and although Mr Pele said he
was in line for a $200,000 redundancy
payout, he did not think he would see
Despite this, he said he counted
himself lucky he did not have a family to
support like his former colleague Dave
Mr Mukherjee started with MFL six
years ago. He has a family with two boys
and a mortgage.
The 63-year-old said he feared he
would not be able to find another job.
“ What ’s happened in the company
is absolutely immoral and unethical.
They let off 85 employees just like that
and they didn’t even give a second
thought to the welfare of all these
Director of Challenge Partners, which
owns MFL, Paul Ayres said he felt bad
for the men.
“ I feel awful about it. We’ve been
facing this risk for the past two years,
since things started going wrong.
“ We’ve sat there late at night and
thought horribly about people going
home and saying they can’t put food on
“ To be honest I think most people
would have given up this fight quite
some time ago but that was the biggest
thing going through our minds and
that ’s why we carried on, literally, until
the 11th hour. ”
He said the company had been dogged
by the significant risks since they took it
on in 2014.
Every effort was made to save the
company but the weak New Zealand
dollar, combined with plant failures
and customer losses, forced it into
receivership, he said.
Mr Ayres said the company ’s struggle
was no secret but it trudged on with the
hope that things would be better.
“Sometimes when you’re very close,
and in the past two years we’ve been as
close three or four times but managed to
find a way or had reason to think next
month would be better, if you go and tell
everybody it will definitely go wrong,
there’s no doubt about it.
“Sometimes you have to keep that to
yourself so that confidence remains in
the organisation.” — RNZ
The Government will try to
help a group of up to 30 Chinese
construction workers who have been
left without work and a place to live.
Last month, the group voiced
concerns about Peter Li, to whom
they said they paid tens of thousands
of dollars for work visas.
The men were given contracts with
a labour hire company, National
They were promised steady work,
but the men said that had not
happened and on Monday they were
trespassed from their temporary
Police were called when they tried
to retrieve their belongings the next
The workers are restricted from
working for any company other than
National Personnel because of the
type of visa they hold.
Immigration Minister Iain Lees-
Galloway said Immigration New
Zealand was working with the men
and the Unite union to see what help
it could offer.
“The sorts of things that they ’ll
be looking into is, can there be a
variation to their visas that allows
them to pick up work (with other
believe that a number of
employers have come for ward and
offered the opportunity to work, and
that ’s what these workers are looking
“They just want to be able to work,
earn some money, and take care of
themselves while they ’re in New
Mr Lees-Galloway said the workers’
welfare was a priority.
Police said no one had been arrested
over the trespass but they were still
investigating whether any offences
Meanwhile, a worker, Chen
Genxiang, said a Chinese community
group had provided accommodation
for about 18 of the men.
“ Two women from the community
group came yesterday,” she said
through a translator.
“They’re also Chinese. They gave us
some food. We felt reassured. They
told us that they will help us to make
contact with the Chinese consulate
here and get back the money we paid
Immigration NZ said the options
available to the workers would depend
on their personal circumstances.
An Immigration New Zealand
investigation into Mr Li is continuing.
Move to help stranded Chinese workers with visa variation
Police following up report
on O’Connor’s driving
Police are following up a report about
the way a vehicle believed to be driven
by Labour MP and former Police
Association head Greg O’Connor
travelled through Central Otago.
Mr O’Connor says he cannot recall
driving in an erratic or alarming way,
was not involved in any accidents or
near-misses, and would be happy to talk
Police said a member of the public
contacted them about a car being driven
on State highway 6, the Gibbston
Highway, east of Queenstown, about
8.45pm on Wednesday.
Police searched for the vehicle,
registered to Mr O’Connor, but could
not find it on Wednesday night. They
said yesterday they would be following
up on the report.
Mr O’Connor confirmed that he was
on State highway 6 on Wednesday
night as he drove his son Michael from
Christchurch to Queenstown while
on holiday. He had no idea what the
member of the public ’s concern might
“ I can’t think of anything it might
“ I was travelling with my autistic son
and if he ever needs attention, I try to
pull over,” Mr O’Connor said.
“ I’d be interested to know what the
perception was. I’d be very, very surprised
if someone thought I was speeding.
“ I can’t recall anything, certainly
nothing that resulted in a near-miss or
anything like that. I ’m scratching my
Asked whether he had been drinking,
he said: “I don’t drink.”
He said police had not been in touch
with him, but was happy to talk to them.
A police spokesman said the member
of the public had contacted police
because of “the manner in which the
vehicle was being driven”.
“The vehicle was not located at the
time. This report will be followed up by
Mr O’Connor was the longest-ser ving
president of the Police Association
before he became the MP for Ohariu in
Before that, he was a police officer,
rising to the rank of senior sergeant, and
once spent 18 months undercover in the
drug and gang scene in the North Island.
In 1995 he became the association’s
president, a position he held until 2016.
He also spent eight years as the
chairman of the International Council
of Police Representative Associations,
representing 1.5 million officers from
over 30 countries. He was awarded life
membership of the Police Association in
2017. — Otago Daily Times-NZME
Frustration for Dunedin evacuees
Frustration is growing among
some St Clair residents unable to
return to their homes since they
were forced to evacuate last month.
Six properties, four in Motu Street
and two in Allandale Road, have
been off-limits since the Dunedin
City Council issued dangerous
building notices in December,
after a large slip and cracking
was discovered under one of the
Allandale Road houses.
One resident remains in emergency
accommodation provided and paid
for by the council.
The Earthquake Commission has
received claims from all six property
Motu Street resident Johanna
Kinvig said she was frustrated at
the lack of communication from
both the council and the EQC.
Ms Kinvig said the only
discussion she has had with either
organisation since last year was a
council staff member calling to ask
if the EQC had contacted her.
“ It’s very frustrating.
“ I have heard nothing about how
they are going to fix the problem
and who is going to fix it,” she said.
She has had to move into a rental
home and has had to clear her
Motu Street home.
“ We don’t even have a time-frame
and I, like the other residents, want
to return home ASAP. ”
Another property owner, who
did not want to be named, said he
was also frustrated at the lack of
An EQC spokesman confirmed
there had been no contact with the
residents since last year.
They had been told by e-mail
before Christmas that any progress
was unlikely until this week.
Sur veyors would be assessing the
slip and the surrounding properties
this week. The residents would be
updated when more information
became available, the spokesman
said. — Otago Daily Times
in Timaru fight
Four men have been stabbed in what ’s
believed to have been a gang fight in
Timaru early today.
Police said they were called to Dunkirk
Street about 3.20am with reports of gang
Four men were taken to hospital. One
needed surgery and another was in a
serious condition, they said, while the
two others were moderately injured.
Two men were later discharged from
Police believed those fighting were
known to each other and officers were
examining the scene.
They said they wanted to hear from
anyone who saw or heard anything in
the early hours this morning who had
not yet spoken to police. — RN Z
Truck driver freed
A truck driver received minor injuries
after becoming trapped in his vehicle
when power lines fell across it after it
left the road north of Waimate early
Waimate Volunteer Fire Brigade
firefighters were alerted to the crash,
at the intersection of Hook Swamp
Road and State highway 1, Makikihi, at
7.16am, and helped with traffic control,
a Fire and Emergency New Zealand
It is thought that the truck may have
hit a power pole, and that a power
company helped to switch off the power,
to free the man.
The road was briefly closed, and was
then reduced to a single lane before
being reopened. — Otago Daily Times
Links Archive January 10th 2019 January 12th 2019 Navigation Previous Page Next Page