Home' Greymouth Star : January 15th 2019 Contents Greymouth Star
Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 3
Home invasion arrest
A woman has been arrested in
relation to a home invasion in which
a 92-year-old woman resident was
attacked in her home in Kawakawa
last week. Detective senior sergeant
Rhys Johnston said police had
arrested a 24-year-old woman. She
will be charged with aggravated
burglary and wounding with intent
to cause grievous bodily harm, and
will appear inthe Kaikohe District
Court today. — RNZ
A man has been charged with
murder over the death of another
man in the south Auckland suburb of
Otara. Police were called to a property
in Otara Road at 6.50pm yesterday,
where a 62-year-old man was found
dead. A 44-year-old man has been
arrested and charged. He is due to
appear in the Manukau District
Court. Police believe the two men
were known to each other. — RN Z
Two charged over death
Two men have been charged with
assault in relation to the death of a
22-year-old on Matakana Island.
Freedom Taikato died on New Year’s
Day on the island in the Bay of
Plenty. A 23-year-old and 59-year-
old have both been charged with
common assault. They are due to
reappear in the Tauranga District
Court on Thursday. — RN Z
Gunman at large
Police are still hunting the gunman
who shot a man in the lower back
and buttock early yesterday near
Whenuapai in Auckland. Police were
called about 4.30am after a 33-year-
old man received gunshot wounds
on Brigham Creek Road. The man
was taken to hospital in a critical
condition but last evening he was
stable. — NZC
Cyclist collides with car
A cyclist received moderate
injuries after colliding with a car in
Queenstown last night. The accident
happened at the intersection of
Shotover and Camp Streets at
7.50pm, police said. The 28-year-
old male cyclist was taken to Lakes
District Hospital in Q ueenstown for
treatment, a St John spokesman said.
— Otago Daily Times
Arrest over shooting
Police have arrested a man after
another man was left with gunshot
wounds to his stomach in Auckland
late last year. A 28-year-old was shot
in Otara in December. A 23-year-old
man has been charged with wounding
with intent to cause grievous bodily
harm. He is due to appear in the
Manukau District Court. — RN Z
Numbers in Keno draw No 16544:
42, 46, 47, 56, 59, 67, 69, 71. Draw No
16545: 4, 7, 12, 13, 23, 27, 28, 29, 31,
34, 41, 44, 47, 54, 58, 60, 73, 77, 79, 80.
Draw No 16546: 4, 5, 13, 14, 20, 23,
24, 25, 31, 34, 35, 39, 51, 54, 59, 61, 66,
68, 70, 76. Draw No 16547: 3, 4, 5, 7,
11, 22, 25, 30, 31, 35, 46, 47, 50, 53, 61,
71, 73, 75, 76, 79.
Outpouring of grief over dead teens
Wellington bus drivers employed by
NZ Bus are planning to strike tomorrow.
The Tramways Union said the strike
would affect ser vices in Wellington
city and suburbs. Spokesman Kevin
O’Sullivan said the strike would run
between 9am and 3pm. He said the
strike had been caused by NZ Bus asking
the union to change the way it arranged
stop-work meetings. — RN Z
Bus drivers to strike
A man has been charged after an
alleged paintball gun drive-by shooting
spree through Dunedin in which he shot
at two 14-year-old boys.
The 19-year-old was arrested at 6.30pm
on Friday, after firing out of a car window
in John Wilson Ocean Drive.
Senior sergeant Craig Dinnissen said
one of the boys had two welts on his back
after the incident.
It was lucky police were able to
distinguish the weapons were paintball
guns and not firearms, he said.
“ If we couldn’t, it would have been an
AOS callout. Things can escalate hugely.
“ What was going through his brain at
the time? If anything actually was.’’
The charge would mostly likely be
assault with a weapon, Mr Dinnissen
Police were making further inquiries
into the driver of the car, who could also
Police were working to connect the
incident with another that day in which
three Ritchies tour buses were struck
by paintball guns in Ravensbourne
shortly after 3pm, which impaired driver
Police were “pretty confident ’’ they were
connected, Mr Dinnissen said.
— Otago Daily Times
Officers were injured rushing to
help three teenagers trapped inside
a fleeing vehicle when it burst into a
ball of flame, police say.
Police said they had abandoned
pursuit before the car hit some laid
road spikes and crashed into a tree
about 11.13pm, catching fire and
killing the three occupants.
The teenagers killed after the
car they were driving exploded in
Christchurch were Glen Mcallister,
Craig Mcallister and Brooklyn Taylor.
Glen and Craig, 16 and 13
respectively, were brothers.
They were fleeing police late on
Sunday night when they ran over
police spikes and crashed into a tree
before the wreck burst into flames.
In a post on Facebook, the sister
of Glen and Craig said it was “ hard
enough” losing one brother but to lose
both “has destroyed me”.
“ I love you both endlessly. Rest in
paradise my angels.”
Juanita Rose, mother of Glen and
Craig, told Stuff she was in “severe
shock” and called her sons her “babies,
Canterbury district commander
Superintendent John Price said a
disaster victim identification team
would formally identify the teens in
He said police officers rushed to the
car to rescue those inside.
“Both officers went directly to the
vehicle, they did their very best to
remove the occupants from that
vehicle but unfortunately they were
unsuccessful,” he said.
He said the officers were treated and
are recovering at home.
The officers were devastated, he said.
“ You can imagine — they were
trying to stop someone from harming
themselves or from harming other
members of the public on our roads. ”
It had been seen speeding in the
central city, but the way it was being
driven prompted police to stop the
Police confirmed those who died
were teenagers and confirmed the
car — a white Mazda Familia —
had been stolen from an address in
“As a police officer and a parent
of children I am devastated by this
needless loss. ”
“ We do know that they were young
people and were teenagers, and I do
know that this is absolutely a tragedy.
When we lose a young person in our
community there are no winners.”
Mr Price said the car was thought to
be travelling about 135kph and going
through red lights when police began
He said the pursuit went up
Moorhouse Avenue for about a
minute before police abandoned the
“They subsequently relocated the
vehicle driving down Blenheim Road.
“The vehicle has then left the road,
it has hit a tree and the fuel tank has
been dislodged, and as a result of that
the tank ruptured and the ensuing
fire has commenced. There has been
a ball of fire — we know this from
CCTV footage — and you can see
the ensuing damage. ”
He said police faced a difficult
challenge balancing the need to
protect the public from dangerous
driving while avoiding having drivers
take even greater risks.
The fatal crash following a police
pursuit was the third in Christchurch
in less than two months.
Alexia Noble-Hazelwood, 18,
was killed when the car she was in
smashed into a school building on
Gloucester Street, late on November
16, a Friday night.
The car had earlier been involved in
a police pursuit which was abandoned
just minutes before the crash.
In the early hours of Wednesday,
Tunnicliffe, 25, and passenger Renee
Percy, 35, a pregnant Christchurch
mother, were killed after Tunnicliffe
sped away from police before crashing
into a power pole on Breezes Road.
Police followed the car after
Tunnicliffe fled but abandoned the
chase after less than a minute due to
the “dangerous nature of the driving”.
Police Association president Chris
Cahill it was a “real tragedy” that
would have been “unforeseen” when
laying the road spikes.
“O ur thoughts go out to their
families, it is a real tragedy. Even more
tragic is it was avoidable, just don’t
drive in that manner.”
Early reports suggested officers
involved had “done everything right ”.
“They have withdrawn from the
fleeing driver when they realised they
were not going to stop, then used road
spikes to try and deflate the tyres to
slow the vehicle down.
“The results here are unforeseen, but
if they hadn’t taken that option and
they continued to drive at that speed
they posed a danger to the public.”
Mr Cahill said reports the driver
and passengers were teenagers was a
“ It is all too common. (Teenage
drivers) is an issue for police, they
don’t know who is driving the vehicle
and they have got to react to what is
in front of them.” — RNZ
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$N$NZ KIKIWIWI DDOLOLLLAARR ($NZ1)
source: interest.co .nz
LOLOLONNNDODODONNN (((UUU $S$/S$/S$/OOOUNUNUNCCCE)E)E)
PPRPRPRPRECECECECIOIOIOIOUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSS
source: interest co nz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
LOLOLONNNDODODONNN (((UUU $S$/TON
source: interest.co .nz
mark tet move t
As at 4pm January 14, 2019
a2 Milk Company
1143 +8 22.11
ANZ Banking Gr
134 –1 7.17
Auckland Intl Airpt
725 –1 5.41
609 +1 11.26
2100 +17 1.25
1390 +10 18.46
Fonterra Share Fund
468 –1 94.82
731 +7 7.08
258 +1 9.54
Goodman Prop Tr
– 2.5 4.10
Kiwi Property Gr
138.5 +0.5 35.08
3130 +14 3.24
362 –0.5 2.95
531 +6 2.82
Port of Tauranga
146 –1 5.53
Prop for Industry
837 –2 7.47
1130 +2 51.37
688 +1 0.60
204 –1 22.00
Sky Network TV
364 +2 83.92
Stride Prop & Inv
Summerset Gr Hldgs
626 +2 2.00
935 –1 0.50
Trade Me Gr
Vista Gr Intl
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
561 –1 74.75
Trading to 10:30am,
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
DECLINERS: 26 TRADED: 78
Aluminium High Grade
PICTURE: New Zealand Police
The remains of the car which burst into flames after a crash that claimed
three lives, following a police pursuit in central Christchurch.
uPolice confirm car was stolen
A $55,000 bronze gnome
sculpture stolen from outside
Gow Langsford Gallery has
been found abandoned in west
Anna Jackson, director of Gow
Langsford Gallery, told the New
Zealand Herald the gnome was
recovered this morning after
it was dropped off at the Glen
Eden Salvation Army with a
note saying “Please return to
Gow Langsford Art Gallery
Ms Jackson said the gallery
received a call from police to
report the $55,000 statue, titled
Thinker, had been found.
“Staff at the Salvation Army
called police when they turned up
to work about 9am,” she said.
“ When I got here the police
were doing fingerprints and
things. We are now allowed to
take him home.”
Ms Jackson said the sculpture,
named Thinker, by renowned
artist Gregor Kregar, will now live
safely inside the gallery.
“He is in pretty good condition.
He will need a bit of a clean and
a polish and then I think we will
put him on show in our Lorne
Street gallery seeing as though
he is a bit of a celebrity now so
people will get the chance to see
him,” she said.
The statue was stolen from its
plinth outside the gallery in the
early hours of Christmas Day.
The thieves, wearing high
visibility vests, spent an hour
removing the statue from its
mount before loading it into
a vehicle outside the gallery’s
Gallery Director John Gow said
the 2m-tall artwork had been
installed just one week prior to
Gow Langsford has displayed
artwork on the plinth at the
corner of Wellesley and Kitchener
Streets for 20 years.
This is the first time any artwork
has been stolen. — RN Z
PICTURE: Gow Langsford Gallery
Gow Langsford Gallery director John Gow with Thinker, a 2m-tall bronze statue stolen over Christmas.
on Govt to
Huawei is again calling
on the Government to
explain why, following
Bureau (GCSB) assess-
ment last year, it has been
barred from helping Spark
build a 5G data network.
The Chinese company
has repeatedly denied
suggestions — led by the
United States — that its
technology could be used
by Beijing to spy on other
Huawei was back in
international headlines this
week after an employee was arrested in
Poland on spying charges.
The company sacked the employee and
said the alleged activity had nothing to
do with it.
Its chief financial officer was also
arrested in Canada last month, with
documents linking the company to
suspected front companies in Syria and
Huawei New Zealand deputy
managing director Andrew Bowater said
he had been asking for a meeting with
ministers and officials without success.
“ We haven’t had any contact from
them and they haven’t been able to
explain what they believe the risks are,”
GCSB Minister Andrew Little
said yesterday it was not appropriate
for himself or the GCSB to be
communicating with the company.
“The GCSB has said, as they
announced at the end of last year, that
they do consider that there are national
security concerns,” he said.
“The next step of the process is for
Spark to consider — along with the
GCSB and its personnel — whether
those concerns can be mitigated in any
“ While that process is under way it ’s
not appropriate for the GCSB to be
dealing with Huawei, or for myself to be
dealing with Huawei.”
He would not say what particular
risks were identified by the
“There are a number of
factors that come into it,
that have come into the
GCSB assessment. They’ll
be known to Spark.
“Spark’s job at this point
is to consider whether or
not they can mitigate those
Mr Little said China’s
National Intelligence Law,
brought in last year, was
a “known concern” that
would also apply to other
Chinese companies and
“Any Chinese corporate
or Chinese citizen can be compelled to
co-operate and collaborate with Chinese
intelligence,” he said.
“ Yes, that ’s a known concern.
“ I think when it comes to the
infrastructure risks that the GCSB has
to assess and take responsibility for, then
that obviously is a factor that ’s going to
“Any Chinese citizen and any Chinese
company is affected by that law — and
it ’s not just domestically in China, it’s
anywhere in the world. ”
He also had not had contact with the
Five Eyes nations about Huawei.
“ I personally haven’t had any messages
from representatives of the intelligence
agencies of any of the Five Eyes countries
(New Zealand, Australia, Canada, US
and the United Kingdom) in relation to
Huawei,” he said.
Mr Bowater was still confident any
problems could be worked through.
“As I say, we’re up for any sort of
discussion,” he said.
“ If that meant . . . not having Chinese
citizens . . . as staff — as weird as that
would be — we’re up for that discussion
as well to have 100% localised staff.
“ We would consider that if they
thought that would solve that issue.”
Regarding the developments in Poland,
Mr Little said the decision by the GCSB
pre-dated it, and it “remains to be seen”
whether it would have any impact in
future. — RN Z
Fewer workplace deaths
The number of workplace deaths
dropped last year but the government ’s
safety agency says it is still too high.
Forty-two workers died in accidents
in 2018, down from 50 in 2017 and in
The agriculture sector had the highest
number with 16 people killed on farms,
followed by construction and forestry
Work Safe New Zealand chief
executive Nicole Rosie said new health
and safety laws were among changes
that were starting to focus businesses on
protecting their workers.
“These things have all been key
deterrents or key changes in the system.
“ It’s not one thing, it’s many things.
There’s a lot more businesses that
are starting to see the value of health
and safety, not from a compliance
perspective, but from actually overall
business performance as well.
“So there’s a lot of things that are
influencing and improving outcomes
and we need to accelerate that.
However, she said New Zealand still
fell behind other countries like Australia
“ We are still in the bottom quartile of
OECD comparative countries even with
“So while we have seen improvement
we’re not a very good performer relative
to countries we would normally compare
Ms Rosie said more would need to be
done, with plans for 2019 to step things
up in problem areas.
“Of our priority sectors construction
and forestry have seen quite large
downward trends, like 30% to 50%
“Agriculture has remained rather
static so we haven’t seen the same shift
in agriculture and that reflects the fact
that significant risks that cause harm
in that sector are substantially the same
as they ’ve always been; quad bikes and
“ We are very heavily focused with that
sector on what are the inter ventions that
will most change performance. ” — RNZ
Junior doctors ‘ frustrated ’
Dunedin resident doctor James
Anderson and many of his
colleagues walked off the wards this
morning, as a 48-hour strike began
Dr Anderson, for one, is not
happy about not being at work.
“ We are all there to be doctors and
work in a hospital and look after
patients: that ’s why we spend six
years training and spend another six
to 12 years training before we get to
consultancy,” Dr Anderson said.
“This strike is about wanting to be
able to give safer care and maintain
safer rosters: talking to the doctors,
you can feel their frustration. ”
Members of the union, the
Resident Doctors’ Association, and
district health boards have been in
talks for a year on a new collective
Dr Anderson — a paediatric
registrar, local RDANZ organiser
and a member of the national
settlement bargaining team — said
it was frustrating that 12 months of
talks had ended up with one strike
going ahead and a second one
scheduled for later this month.
“ What doctors are going on
strike for is not for more — we
are striking to keep our current
contract and keep the terms and
conditions which are protecting us
at the moment. ”
Dr Anderson said the main issue
of contention was DHBs trying to
scrap a requirement to consult with
the union and local RMOS before
varying employment conditions.
“That could mean a doctor could
be asked to move hospitals on a
regular basis, without consultation
. . . it also means they could vary
the type of work we do, so the shift
pattern could change.”
Payments for working antisocial
hours, weekends and night shifts
were also in dispute. “ They want
to take away loadings on those
payments, which would effectively
be a pay cut.”
More than 3000 resident doctors
nationwide stopped work this
morning and the strike has led to
the postponement of hundreds of
operations and appointments.
— Otago Daily Times
Three men have been charged after
a derelict Dunedin former hospital
building was targeted once again by
Two 26-year-old men and one aged
22 were located by police dogs at the
former Glamis Hospital in Mornington
at 10.40pm on Friday and apprehended.
Senior sergeant Craig Dinnissen said
the men broke into the building and
were damaging property.
They will appear in court today on a
charge of unlawfully being on a property.
The building in Montpellier Street
has repeatedly been targeted by vandals,
arsonists, trespassers and squatters since
it was left vacant at least four years ago.
It was reported in December owner
Leng Seak Loke, who lives in Malaysia,
planned to return Dunedin when he
was able and make a decision about the
building’s future. — Otago Daily Times
A man is seriously injured after two
trucks collided in North Canterbury,
causing gas to leak on the road.
One of the trucks was carrying gas
cylinders. Emergency ser vices were
called to the corner of Greta Road and
Scargill Valley Road, on State highway 1
in Greta Valley, about 9.10am yesterday.
One truck rolled and the driver was
seriously injured, police said. Gas bottles
were lying around the road after the
collision. A St John spokesman said
the person was flown to Christchurch
Hospital in a serious condition. — RN Z
Links Archive January 14th 2019 January 16th 2019 Navigation Previous Page Next Page