Home' Greymouth Star : January 15th 2019 Contents Greymouth Star
Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 9
Puzzles and horoscopes
ARIES (Mar 21-Apr 19): Clones are now scientifically
possible, but your experiences, not DNA, made
you amazing. The cool way you handle today’s
challenge couldn’t possibly be accomplished
by anyone else, not even your clone.
TAURUS (Apr 20-May 20): Something you can
neither ignore nor stop is changing in your
environment. The ego wants to fight this but
acceptance will happen sooner or later. Sooner
would keep you from wasting your effort.
GEMINI (May 21-Jun 21): Simple logic suggests if
you can solve a problem, there’s no need to
worry. But worry still serves a purpose. It
was the first indicator you had a problem?
Thank your worries. They’re trying to help.
CANCER (Jun 22-Jul 22): You’re generous when you
want to be. And when you don’t want to be,
there’s a good reason, though perhaps it’s an
unconscious one. If you dare to investigate it,
you’ll learn something new about yourself.
LEO (Jul 23-Aug 22): Remember when you went to a
function and got cornered into listening to an
unsolicited advice monologue that there was
seemingly no end to or exit from? You learned
from that so you’ll know what to avoid.
VIRGO (Aug 23-Sep 22): When you share with someone
you love, it doesn’t feel like giving. It’s
natural and effortless. The energy comes
back to you and you seem to have more than
you started with.
LIBRA (Sep 23-Oct 23): As you’re not a cynical person,
sometimes you don’t stop and ask, “What
is this person getting out of the situation?”
That’s something to inquire about today. It’s
not a cynical question, just a realistic one.
SCORPIO (Oct 24-Nov 21): Are you excelling because
you’re working hard or are you working
hard because you’re excelling? The point is
that it’s really coming together, so enjoy this
exhilarating part of the ride.
SAGITTARIUS (Nov 22-Dec 21): You have ideals, and
you might embody them at some point, but
you don’t have to to be worthy of love and
acceptance. Use them like the ship captain
uses the stars – as guides to orient the map.
CAPRICORN (Dec 22-Jan 19): Having someone you can
rely on is a pretty big deal right now. Just
knowing that there’s someone who’s invested
in your success and well-being will reduce
your overall stress and anxiety.
AQUARIUS (Jan 20-Feb 18): One game strategy is to
pick an arena without too much competition
to increase your odds of winning. It’s a good
way to gain experience and competence until
you’re ready to go to the next level.
PISCES (Feb 19-Mar 20): Rejoice in the discovery of
your own mistakes. It’s what lifelong learners
and those committed to excellence do. It’s
the secret to growing quickly.
Fill the grid so that every column, every row and 3x3 box contains the digits 1 to 9.
Across: 1. Diatribe 4. Acid 8. Seg 9. Sauce 10. Mir
11. Apricot 12. Onion 13. Decapitated17. Maple 18. Frigate
20. Ure 21. Twain 22. Van 23. Task 24. Skittles
Down: 1. Dismay 2. Auger 3. Blunt 5. Compile 6. During
7. Peroration 9. Sacraments 14. Express 15. Amount
16. Tennis 18. Frank 19. Anvil
1. Men cane colt, or otherwise give it a good hiding (11)
8. Put too much on one’s plate for it to pass (8)
9. A recidivist who has returned for the festivity (4)
10. Doctor, being on his lonesome, may sink and die (5)
13. Length of dress in Madras finally wore an air of change (4)
16. Don’t execute one with the rope that holds the mast (4)
17. It is a portent that females should lose their leader (4)
18. In sea-sickness, first of passengers does what others do (4)
20. Make it fit to adopt it as a change for nothing (5)
24. Horn, say, that may cover the shoulders (4)
25. Words that one has strung together may condemn one (8)
26. Count the pleat that unfolds with a car’s identification (6-5)
2. Animals that upset one include the hyrax finally (4)
3. Provide grub for butterfly grub, in part (5)
4. Crooked way to request new beheading (5)
5. Tired gesture used as one slowly moves within it (5)
6. In which hobby-horse rids romance of any change (6-5)
7. Figures with strings of which Maori set ten out (11)
11. Horse given to Aida, say, to make film of the Wild West (5)
12. Example of 11 might have been Roman (5)
14. The particular mysticism that shrouds the host (4)
15. Except for starter of escargots, everything is off (4)
21. Dull and expensive? That’s about right (5)
22. Leaf in the corolla unfolded into a plate (5)
23. Make something woolly for bone to mend (4)
1. Done without attention (10)
7. Become aware of (5)
8. Injured (7)
10. Wearied by anxieties (8)
11. Very big (4)
13. Mumble (6)
15. Smaller in size or value (6)
17. Clothing (4)
18. Feeling for a career (8)
21. Messenger (7)
22. Toxic form of oxygen (5)
23. Dares (10)
1. Seat (5)
2. Famed (8)
3. Brings down (6)
4. Insult (4)
5. Account books (7)
6. Necromancy (5,5)
9. Person almost identical to
12. Coexist peacefully (3,5)
14. Via (7)
16. Rough (6)
19. Religious paintings (5)
20. Tablet (4)
Across: 7. Indefatigable 8. Filigree 9. Cone 10. Enters
12. Twinge 14. Woe 15. Marina 17. Potion 19. Arms
21. Sorcerer 23. Ill-considered
Down: 1. Insignia 2. Demise 3. Fair 4. Sidestep 5. Tai chi
6. Plan 11. Swan song 13. Glowered 16. Insect 18. Tiered
20. Rely 22. Rail
Previous cryptic solution
Previous quick solution
Simon Shuker’s Code Cracker
Insert the missing letter to complete
an eight-letter word reading
clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Previous solution: CHASTITY
How many words of three or more
letters, including plurals, can you make
from the e letters, using each letter
only once? No foreign words or words
beginning with a capital are allowed.
here s at least one e letter word.
Good 6 Ve ry Good 9 Excellent 12
Previous solution: for, form, forum,
fou, four, fro, from, fur, mor, orf, our, rum
Links Archive January 14th 2019 January 16th 2019 Navigation Previous Page Next Page