Home' Greymouth Star : January 26th 2019 Contents Greymouth Star
Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 3
Fill the grid so that every column, every row and 3x3 box contains the digits 1 to 9.
Across 1. Comfort 5. Eased 8. Nankeen 9. Tacit
10. Pachyderm 12. Sic 13. Curio 17. Lid 19. Tasteless
21. Swarm 22. Ascribe 24. Drawn 25. Harvest
Down 1. Canopy 2. Monocle 3. Owe 4. Tense 5. Extempore
6. Sacks 7. Detach 11. Yachtsman 14. Crevice 15. Closed
16. Aspect 18. Drama 20. Smash 23. Cur
1. Commander vowed one would be exposed to scandal (11)
7. Scrupulously exact fitting together of the right pieces (7)
9. Lean upon a bath that’s been put back (4)
11. Soundly rented it at the lowest figure (5)
12. ‘Dream’ fairy produced by a spider (6)
14. Formal demand that I quit, senior being made available (11)
18. It will take the beard off a youngster (6)
20. Conscious of a time of strife with English capital (5)
22. One put in for a loan for a joint of meat (4)
23. General statement until revision can be made in Old English
24. Self-governing end: need pint brewed for it (11)
2. Do surgery to a peer perhaps (7)
3. It’s obvious anyone can enter (4)
4. Nudge one out from below (5)
5. A magic formula to read letter by letter (5)
6. Puts fag out in street as bus turns (5)
8. One not invited to run tried it anyhow (8)
10. A bond to draw together (8)
13. Make a request for a newt in the country (3)
15. Enthusiastic reception got Ivan too excited (7)
16. Song of devotion given as an afterthought to a Lord Mayor
17. It may be blackwater, measured in Fahrenheit always (5)
19. Coming from elsewhere to be situated in an environment (5)
21. Trunk of tree comes up in the lobby (4)
1. Resultant (10)
7. On the move (5)
8. Straightened (7)
10. Naked runner (8)
11. Den (4)
13. Not just (6)
15. Sharp bend (6)
17. Novice (4)
18. Glib (8)
21. Go backwards (7)
22. Of the sun (5)
23. Escapades (10)
1. Woodland god (5)
2. Wild and primitive (8)
3. Gained by effort (6)
4. Strong desire (4)
5. Court game (7)
6. Be of acceptable standard
9. Disparaging (10)
12. Writer of music (8)
14. Rummaged about (7)
16. Cupboard (6)
19. Book of maps (5)
20. Unit of heredity (4)
Across 7. Vexed question 8. Backward 9. Rake 10. Signal
12. Ordeal 14. Eel 15. Resign 17. Ersatz 19. Deaf
21. Eloquent 23. Lance corporal.
Down 1. Negative 2. Weaken 3. Aqua 4. Lead role 5. Stored
6. Work 11. Leniency 13. Antennae 16. Infect 18. Stupor
20. Edam 22. Oars
ARIES (Mar 21-Apr 19): Best friends aren’t the ones
who go along with everything you say without
question. They’re the ones who challenge you
once in a while and either cause you to take a
stronger stand or change your mind.
TAURUS (Apr 20-May 20): There’s something in you
that will keep you doing things the way you
always have. It’s not that you can’t fall in line
and follow directions; it’s that you think there
might be a better way. So go on and find it.
GEMINI (May 21-Jun 21): Some love sentimentality.
There’s hard evidence of this in box-office
statistics and television-watching trends
everywhere. But you’d rather take tenderness,
sadness and nostalgia in small doses.
CANCER (Jun 22-Jul 22): Three is an age-old magic
number, from building seating, to knocking
on wood, to setting up the punchline of a
joke. Three will be present in the magical
triptych of this day.
LEO (Jul 23-Aug 22): Life is rooting for you, though
you may not love the cheer. It’s aggressive-
sounding. But the players aren’t the ones who
get to choose the cheerleaders. Give in to
life’s enthusiasm, whatever form it takes.
VIRGO (Aug 23-Sep 22): Talent creates opportunity.
Opportunity creates talent. Neither are crucial
to success. Desire will bring you everything
you need: talent, opportunity and the work
ethic to keep going until you get there.
LIBRA (Sep 23-Oct 23): People’s bad vibes can affect
you even if they are not about you. Who
needs that? Get away. The minute you get a
whiff of less than optimal environs, enact a
SCORPIO (Oct 24-Nov 21): You have an especially
tight bond with family these days. There are
those who might get a little jealous of the
love flowing between you and your favourite
people. Be sensitive to the feelings of others.
SAGITTARIUS (Nov 22-Dec 21): Even loners are better
off with social support. And for the socially
motivated, it’s important to gather a team.
Accountability is key in goal getting. Build some
into your plan in the form of other people.
CAPRICORN (Dec 22-Jan 19): If you can’t figure out
how to eliminate the obstacles in your path,
maybe you can imagine a way to arrange
them differently. For instance, stack them like
stairs you can climb up and get over.
AQUARIUS (Jan 20-Feb 18): Since you live inside your
own head, you’re aware of your insecurities in
a way that no one around you could be. Stop
worrying and project yourself as you would
like to be. They won’t know the difference.
PISCES (Feb 19-Mar 20): Older people find the banter
of younger ones amusing, or obnoxious, as
it’s a reminder of how they used to relate to
others before they knew so much of life.
Puzzles and horoscopes
Previous Cryptic solution
Previous Quick solution
Simon Shuker’s Code Cracker
How many words of three or more letters,
including plurals, can you make from the
five letters, using each letter only once? No
foreign words or words beginning with a
capital are allowed. There is at least one five-
Good – 8 Excellent – 10 Amazing – 11
Previous solution: art, arts, ats, rat, rats,
raw, sat, saw, star, straw, swart, swat, tar,
tars, taw, taws, tsar, war, wars, wart, warts,
Insert the missing letter to complete
an eight-letter word reading
clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Previous solution: DEATHBED
Links Archive January 25th 2019 January 28th 2019 Navigation Previous Page Next Page