Home' Greymouth Star : January 13th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
West Coast/New Zealand
2 - Monday, January 13, 2014
A 35-year-old Hokitika resident
was taken into custody late on
Saturday afternoon in relation to a
burglary in town just before noon.
Constable Rees Martin said the
alleged o ender was apprehended
following the burglary of a residential
property about 11am. e man was
granted bail and will appear in the
Greymouth District Court tomorrow
charged with burglary.
Awatuna bridge crash
A 36-year-old Cobden man was
arrested after he drove into the
Waimea Creek bridge on Saturday
afternoon. e driver, who was
uninjured and the sole occupant
of the car, was well over the drink-
driving limit, blowing 778mg. He will
appear in court on January 28 charged
with drink-driving for the third or
subsequent time, and for careless
driving. Meanwhile, Ross police
and volunteer re ghters attended
a minor nose-to-tail collision at the
northern approach to the Waitaha
River bridge yesterday afternoon.
Car hits shop
Two people were taken to hospital
after a car crashed into a shop in
south Auckland on Saturday night.
e crash occurred on Cascades Road
in Pakuranga about 2am, police said.
Two of the four people in the car
were taken to Middlemore Hospital
with serious injuries. --- APNZ
Port of Greymouth. --- Arrivals:
Ocean Odyssey, Electra, one
Greymouth vessel. In port: Cook
Canyon, Ocean Odyssey, elma C,
Electra, 17 other vessels. Expected
departures: Ocean Odyssey tomorrow,
Cook Canyon ursday. Expected
arrivals: Galatea II tomorrow, Jay
Helping hand for four school leavers
A video of a drunk boy
stumbling and slurring at a
Hamilton skate park has been
re-posted to You Tube despite an
earlier attempt by police to have
Google remove it.
Bradley Goudie, of Hamilton,
posted the video of the boy last
week after he captured footage
of the nine-year-old slumped
against a wall at the Clarkin
Road skate park.
But despite a number of people
praising his actions for bringing
light to the issue, police said the
video "revictimised" the boy and
on ursday contacted Google to
have it removed, which it did.
Mr Goudie said the footage had
not been deemed inappropriate
by You Tube's community
guidelines and he successfully
appealed to have the video
reinstated to the website late last
Asked why he re-posted the
footage having shed light on the
issue last week, Mr Goudie said
he wanted "something positive"
to come out of the incident.
He said he was unable to hide
the identity of the boy because of
the restrictions You Tube has on
people editing their footage that
" ere are over 40 to 50 copies
of it on You Tube itself on
other people's channels --- they
could be possibly exploiting the
channel for their own personal
pro ts," he said.
"I've tried to turn it into
a gateway for people giving
donations to the charities
involved that can help out with
this sortofthing. . .Iamtrying
to turn this whole thing into
something more positive."
Police, who are yet to make an
arrest over the incident but are
speaking to a number of people,
said last week that the video
revictimised the boy and pleaded
to Mr Goudie to remove it.
ey could not be contacted
for comment about the matter
e boy's father believed
reposting the footage had taken
things "too far" and he was
disappointed his son was easily
recognisable in the video.
He has tried to make contact
with Mr Goudie but without
"I'm sure these charities can do
their own fundraising rather than
using my son for it," he said.
"People are already aware of
it (the incident) --- the whole
world is aware of it."
University of Canterbury
economist Dr Eric Crampton
said the video was shocking
because "rare and sad events are
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Video of young
e Grey District Council
says contractors tasked with
keeping the Dixon Park toddlers'
paddling pool clean can expect a
"rap over the knuckles" and will
be sent back to give it a proper
Greymouth mother of one,
Kelly Skeddon, said she was
disgusted at the state of the pool
and had upset her three-year-
old daughter by not allowing
her to have a splash in it at the
Ms Skeddon described the
pool as "disgusting".
She had sent an e-mail to the
district council recently asking
for it to be cleaned, yet nothing
had been done.
She also rallied on Facebook
for people to complain to the
council: "We need to keep our
kids safe, and the state of this
pool is unsafe."
e post has 325 likes and
a further 127 people have
commented, some saying that
if the pool was not cleaned up
properly it should be lled in.
Ms Skedden suggested people
take their children for a dip in
the fountain --- right in front of
the district council o ces: " ey
will be sure to listen then".
Council chief executive Paul
Pretorius said today the pool
had been cleaned a week before
"We then had a long spell of
bad weather, which obviously
made it dirty again."
A council sta member had
checked the condition of the
water today and as a result the
contractor, Westroads, was being
called back in to clean it again.
Mr Pretorius said they would
be given a talking to about
keeping it clean --- and "this
time they will have to give it a
Action over park pool
Four school leavers from the Grey district
will hit the ground running for their
future studies after becoming the latest
recipients of the Dennis Moore Memorial
is year's $2500 scholarships, awarded
by Presbyterian Support Upper South
Island with assistance from the Uniting
Church Council, went to Georgina
Cortis-Smith for her culinary arts studies;
Melissa Downing, who will study nursing;
Reuben Mama, studying broadcasting
communications; and Tessa Smith,
"We had a number of very good quality
applicants, and it was quite hard to whittle
it down to the four," Presbyterian Support
Upper South Island chief executive o cer
Vaughan Milner said.
" e panel felt these four best
represented the di erent criteria that we
e scholarships were established
in memory of Rev Dennis Moore, a
Presbyterian minister who served in the
Ross parish for many years. He was known
for his e orts to support West Coast youths
and help people in need, and when he died
in 1999 he left a bequest to Presbyterian
After discussion with his family and
consultation with the union parishes on
the West Coast, Presbyterian Support set
aside $10,000 a year of his bequest for a
scholarship to help young people pursue
education, either close to home or in other
parts of the country.
e awards committee is made up of Mr
Milner, board member and Mr Moore's
relative Andrew Johnston, and two Uniting
Church representatives, Rev John Drylie
and elma E ord.
Monday January 13
Urgent cases only
Phone 769 7493 first
5pm - 8pm
New Zealand formally
Reg. FD (FDANZ)
Ph 768 0250
Code of Conduct
Premises and facilities
HALLINAN, Carol. ---
Three years ago today
Time takes away the
edge of grief.
But memory turns back
--- Ken, Brian and
Laura, Daniel, Nicholas
Wilson MBE.--- Royal
Navy NZ 9547, WWII,
died January 10, 2014,
aged 91 years. He is
now united with his
beloved wife Dorothy
after a long and brave
battle. Brother of John
and Joan. Loving father
of Josephine (Hamilton),
Fran (Rotorua) and Mel
(Auckland), and grand-
father of Steven and
T ravis (London),
Allison and Catherine
Rose (Wellington). Mes-
sages to email: maples-
den flowers only please
or donations to St Vin-
cent de Paul. Peter's
funeral will leave St
Mary's Catholic Church,
Manuka St, Nelson for
the Marsden Valley
Cemetery on Wednes-
day afternoon, January
15, 2014 following a
Requiem Mass which
will be celebrated at 12
noon. A Rosary will be
prayed in the church on
Tuesday evening at
6pm. Marsden House
F uneral Directors
(Betty). --- January 12,
2013. We cannot believe
that one year has passed
already. You were such
a cherished mother, nana
and great-nana. Miss
you dearly. Love you
with all our hearts.
--- Dianne, Leeanne,
Lisa, Terena and Karl,
Anita and Kerry, John,
Riley, Jack, Harrison
e Department of Conservation has two
sta shing the entire West Coast --- and it
hopes they do not catch anything.
e pair, from the Canterbury o ce, are
surveying lakes and water bodies for pest sh.
Last week they were shing Lake Ryan at
Cobden, and also found the sports sh perch
in a pond behind Four J's dairy and takeaways.
ey also plan to check the old Taramakau
dredge ponds, near Kumara, where rudd was
reported about ve or six years ago --- about
the time rudd were illegally released in Lake
Ianthe, near Hari Hari.
e survey work was instigated after the
Ianthe incursion was discovered a year ago.
DOC's Helen Armstrong said they used
'geeminnow' traps close to shore for small fry,
as well as adult and juvenile gill nets.
e aim is to nd incursions of rudd,
gambusia, cat sh and koi carp, which, among
other things, can damage the sport shery.
DOC relies on public sightings, and
encourages anglers to report unusual sightings
to the local o ce.
Between now and April, the DOC pair will
survey water ways from Haast to Westport,
generally working in two-week stretches.
"We are getting paid to sh," said Aliesha
Esker, who also manages some recreational
shing at weekends.
People caught releasing sh without a
permit can be ned up to $5000.
DOC hoping for no bites
PICTURE: Laura Mills
Helen Armstrong with a 'geeminnow' trap at Lake Ryan, Cobden, last week.
State highway 7 at Omoto was reduced to one lane on Saturday morning when this car and a utility
vehicle collided just after 11.30am. No one was injured. Police said the car had rear-ended the ute. Police,
Fire Ser vice and St John all attended.
Omoto collision PICTURE: Paul McBride
PICTURE: Viv Logie
e toddlers' dirty paddling pool, which has not been cleaned since early December.
Victim contacts police after report
Police are questioning a man who
may have been the victim of what
was described as a "ferocious" daylight
assault in Albert Town, Wanaka, last
Constable Martin Barham said
yesterday a man had responded to
a newspaper article which said the
victim had ed the Dale Street scene
on ursday, before being spoken to by
e man had contacted police but
wished to remain anonymous. Mr
Barham would not say where the man
"All I can say at the moment is that he
has contacted us to say he's been made
aware of a newspaper story.
"But he's not local to be spoken to, so
I've had to arrange for an o cer from
out of the area to go and speak to him,"
Mr Barham said.
"But he did express that he was the
victim in that case."
Both police and victim impact
statements would be taken.
After the incident at 12.44pm on
ursday, police asked the public to look
out for the victim of the assault who
was thought to be a tourist in his 20s
who was travelling with a woman of the
same age in a silver Mitsubishi Chariot
Sergeant Simon Paget, of Wanaka, said
witnesses described a long and ferocious
attack and it was likely the man ed
because he was frightened.
Two Albert Town brothers appeared
before justice of the peace Joy McDonald
in the Queenstown District Court on
Friday charged in relation to the alleged
Jarred Wira, 20, and Beaudine Wira,
17, were charged under the Crimes
Act with assaulting persons unknown
with intent to injure them, carrying
a maximum penalty of three years'
Jarred Wira also faced a second charge
of breaching bail.
A third person, aged 15, was being
dealt with by CYFS and a fourth person
is to appear in the Queenstown court
today, in connection with the incident.
--- Otago Daily Times
e Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
are on the lookout for a nanny to look
after baby George on their trip to New
Zealand and Australia in April, Britain's
Daily Mail newspaper has reported.
e royal couple's current nanny,
Jessie Webb --- who looked after Prince
William when he was a child and came
out of retirement to tend George --- has
reached the end of her contract.
Mrs Webb, 71, took the job on the
condition that she would work only for
three months, the newspaper reported.
"Mrs Webb is still at Kensington
Palace and William and Kate are keen
to retain her services, but they are
discreetly looking for extra help for the
month-long trip this spring," the paper
e Duke and Duchess did not hire a
maternity nurse after George's birth last
July. Instead the couple moved into the
Middleton family home in Berkshire so
that Kate's mother, Carole, could help
When they moved to Kensington
Palace last September, they persuaded
Mrs Webb to join their household.
It had been rumoured that Carole
Middleton could join the tour Down
Under to help look after George.
However, aides insist that will not be the
case and the couple will instead hire a
Prospective candidates would need
to be experienced, discreet, trained in
paediatric rst aid and demonstrate an
ability to cope in stressful situations,
Janine Bayley of nanny recruitment
agency Rock mybaby.co.nz said.
"We have placed nannies and
babysitters for some high pro le families
including Hollywood actors while
visiting in New Zealand," Mrs Bayley
said. "We nd their expectations just the
same as other families, although we do
encourage the nannies not to become
"At the end of the day, parents want
someone who is responsive to their
child's needs, able to provide a quality,
educational environment and someone
who knows how to have fun. Regardless
of where we are in society, we just want
the very best for our children."
e royal entourage may include
a housekeeper and Kate's personal
hairdresser, Amanda Cook Tucker.
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Wanted: A NZ nanny for Prince George
Companies are cracking down
on o ce romances, with bosses
increasingly being asked to sign
contracts promising not to have
sex with sta --- or if they do, they
must declare the liaison to avoid
Air New Zealand con rmed it has
introduced a formal code for its 80
senior executives. Another company
has banned senior sta from sexual
relationships with co-workers, even
if both parties are single. ere
were several high pro le workplace
sex scandals last year --- notably
Auckland Mayor Len Brown's
extra-marital a air and that of
naval Commodore Kevin Keat,
who was red after a court-martial
over his sexual relationship with a
A top employment lawyer says
companies are increasingly looking
to introduce rules around o ce
ings to manage potential fallout.
Air New Zealand spokesman
Andrew Aitken said chief executive
Christopher Luxton introduced a
code last year requiring personal
relationships to be declared "so
there is never any ambiguity around
the company's expectations".
Minter Ellison employment law
partner Jennifer Mills said she
helped a company, which she would
not identity, write a policy to forbid
senior sta from "inappropriate
relations" with colleagues late last
year. e move was prompted by
suspicions that a airs had taken
place between senior and junior
sta , but would only result in
action if a relationship brought the
company into disrepute.
" at's the most stringent policy
I've seen. e more usual policy is if
you are going to have an intra-o ce
relationship you need to disclose it."
Another corporate client sought
help last year after a manager and
subordinate were caught having
sex at a sta function. e manager
was "exited" and the company
adopted rules around workplace
relationships. Disclosure policies
were becoming more common, she
"When I started 23 years ago
I never heard of it. Now I'm
addressing this issue once a week.
ere's a heightened awareness that
it causes damage in the workplace.
Good employers don't want that."
Dairy leader Fonterra, Telecom,
police, the Defence Force and
supermarket giant Progressive
Enterprises are among other
big New Zealand employers
requiring sta to disclose personal
relationships with colleagues.
Ms Mills said nine times out of
10, employees who confessed extra-
marital a airs were not disciplined,
but companies would introduce
strategies to ensure the a air did
not compromise the business.
Simpson Grierson employment
law partner John Rooney said
companies needed to be realistic,
as many people met their partners
at work. Human rights lawyer
Graeme Edgeler said banning
relationships did not infringe those
rights, but could cause problems
if hiring was a ected, or it led to
Married navy Commodore Kevin
Keat was red in October after
he was found guilty at a court-
martial of failing to disclose a
sexual relationship with a civilian
Auckland Council was also
embarrassed by mayor Len Brown's
extra-marital a air with Bevan
Chuang, for which Brown has been
censured by councillors.
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Workplace romance ban
Hackers are using New
Zealanders' e-mail accounts to send
out thousands of spam messages,
and Telecom admits it still does
not know the cause or scale of the
Computer users with Yahoo!
Xtra e-mail accounts are being
advised to immediately delete any
suspicious e-mails they receive,
even if they apparently come from
On Friday, Telecom said it was
working with Yahoo! to investigate
the issue, and suspicious e-mails,
often with "Hi" or "Hello" in the
subject line, have ooded e-mail
Yesterday a Telecom spokeswoman
said the company was urgently
seeking answers to the issue.
"At this point we don't have
con rmation of the cause or the
scale of the problem.
"In the meantime our advice to
customers is that they should mark
suspicious looking e-mails as junk/
spam and should never click on the
links contained in them, even if the
e-mails come from a known contact."
If a customer thinks their account
may have been used to send out
spam e-mails, then they should
change their password as soon as
Advice on how to do this can be
found on Telecom's website, www.
A total of 87,000 accounts were
compromised in an attack in
February last year.
At the time, Paul Brislen of
Telecom Users' Association New
Zealand, said Yahoo! had an
"utterly awful" security record and
equally bad customer ser vice.
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Xtra trouble for Telecom
Links Archive January 11th 2014 January 14th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page