Home' Greymouth Star : February 13th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 3
Woman dies at lake
An elderly woman has died after
getting into di culty in Lake Taupo,
despite e orts by two runners to
keep her alive. Police said two
people running at the lakefront
near the Lake Terrace-Taharepa
Road intersection saw the woman
in the water about 9.50am yesterday.
e circumstances of her death are
being investigated. e woman is a
73-year-old local. Her name has not
--- APNZ-Rotorua Daily Post
Log rolls on man
A man felling a pine tree north of
Gisborne su ered serious leg injuries
when it rolled on him. A rescue
helicopter crew was sent to treat the
20-year-old man at a forestry block
yesterday afternoon. He was own
to Gisborne Hospital for further
treatment. --- APNZ
Bee swarm stings boys
Two young boys had to dive into a
stream after being stung by a swarm
of bees in Rotorua about 4.20pm
yesterday. e nine-year-olds dived
into the Utuhina Stream after they
were chased and stung by bees while
playing on a street in suburban
Fordlands. e boys were taken to
Rotorua Hospital as a precaution in
case they had an allergic reaction.
--- APNZ-Rotorua Daily Post
Tourist killed in crash
e woman who died when the
Harley Davidson on which she was
a passenger collided with a station
wagon about 4.45pm on Tuesday
in Northland was a British tourist.
She was 60-year-old Anne Eileen
Tomkinson. e 47-year-old male
rider was in Whangarei Hospital
in a stable condition. e 54-year-
old female passenger of the station
wagon was also in a stable condition
in Kaitaia Hospital. --- APNZ
Dead baby named
e ve-month-old baby who died
after the car she was in crashed head-
on into an oncoming truck in Bay of
Plenty has been identi ed by police.
She was Varnah Brass, from Kaitaia.
Varnah was travelling to Gisborne
with her four-year-old sister, mother
and grandmother, who was driving,
when the car crashed. Police said
the car drifted across the centre line
and hit the light truck on ornton
Bridge near Whakatane just before
2pm on Sunday. --- APNZ
Big Wednesday win
One lucky Kaikoura resident could
be more than $8 million richer after
scooping Lotto's Big Wednesday
last night. e ticket was sold at
Kaikoura New World and won its
owner $8.5 million with division
one and $74,793 with division two,
plus all the prizes that go with Big
Wednesday. Successful numbers were
3, 9, 13, 19, 30, 33; coin toss, heads.
Numbers in Keno draw No 9744: 2,
3, 10, 15, 22, 23, 24, 25, 41, 42, 43, 46,
48, 51, 55, 62, 70, 71, 72, 77. Draw No
9745: 21, 24, 26, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 37,
44, 45, 47, 51, 52, 56, 60, 61, 65, 77, 80.
Countdown may face probe
Fire ghters battled a large paddock re
near Christchurch yesterday.
About 10 trucks were called to the scene
at Old West Road, west of Christchurch,
southern re communications shift
manager Rewi Grace said.
Emergency services were called to the
blaze just before 4pm.
About 1200 square metres of paddock
and a hedge were burned in the re, Mr
Grace said. -- APNZ
Big grass fire
A family of seven living in a tent has
been given the keys to a new home.
e family, including ve children aged
two to 11, had been living in a two-
bedroom tent next to the Wairoa River,
just outside Bethlehem, since December
ey had to use the public toilets across
the bridge and bathe in the river.
e family had applied for several rental
properties on Trade Me and waited for
their application with Housing New
Zealand to be processed for several
Housing New Zealand handed them
the keys to their new home yesterday.
Family members were ecstatic.
e mother of ve, who wanted to
be known only as Kylie to protect her
children's identity, said she was overjoyed
with how quickly the dire situation had
turned around for the family.
"It was literally two and a half days and
it's (the new house) perfect.
"It has four bedrooms and heaps of
e family's ordeal was highlighted on
Facebook after Kylie posted about her
ey were inundated with donations of
food, nappies, clothing, toys and gas the
day she rst posted on Buy, Swap, Sell
"I had to do something but I am so
overwhelmed with the support we've
had," she said.
"I was at tack on the phone with
people o ering support, I don't even
know how to say thank you to everyone."
e family was planning on moving
into their new home straight away.
Housing New Zealand area manager
Teresa Pou said she was pleased to be
able to house the family so quickly.
"It was the rst suitable property that
became available," she said.
"We don't have many large properties
available in Tauranga. is particular
property became available in the past
few days due to the tenancy ending, so
we were able to o er it to the family."
-- APNZ-Bay of Plenty Times
e Commerce Commission should
urgently investigate serious allegations
about supermarket giant Countdown
demanding retrospective payments
from its suppliers, Horticulture New
Countdown --- already facing a
consumer backlash over its Australian
parent's ban on New Zealand
products --- was accused yesterday of
blackmailing New Zealand suppliers
into paying to keep their products on
Labour's outspoken economic
development spokesman Shane
Jones made his claim of a
"Countdown shakedown" under
cover of parliamentary privilege but
appears to have the backing of Food
and Grocery Council chief executive
and former National MP Katherine
Horticulture NZ chief executive
Peter Silcock said the group had not
been told by any of its members ---
some 5500 commercial fruit and
vegetable growers --- of the practices
Mr Jones described.
"But we would be extremely
concerned if any of our growers had
been treated like that," he said.
"It is not always comfortable, but
the allegations made by Mr Jones
go way beyond a robust commercial
" ese allegations need to be
investigated by someone independent,
like the Commerce Commission, and
it needs to be done quickly.
"When you are a grower supplying
a major customer you have to
respond to their demands. But if
their customers are engaging in
practices that are illegal in this
country, then that needs to be sorted
Mr Jones has also called for a
Commerce Commission inquiry,
while Food and Grocery Council
chairman Pierre van Heerden said an
inquiry would not do any harm.
He told Radio New Zealand that
everyone who submitted to an inquiry
should be given anonymity so there
was no fear of repercussions on any
" en it's up to the commission to
decide whether the practices that are
alleged were correct or not."
Mr van Heerden said he had
discussed the issue with the
managing director of Countdown
owner Progressive Enterprises, Dave
Chambers, on Friday.
"He has given me the assurance
that, under his watch, there will be
no retrospective payments from any
e council welcomed that message,
and the main thing was to resolve the
"With Dave saying that there will
not be any retrospective payments, that
is a good thing for the membership
who may feel that they've been put
Mr van Heerden said negotiations
between suppliers and chains
were "robust" and the demand for
retrospective payments was a recent
His colleague, Ms Rich, yesterday
con rmed the organisation was aware
of "a number of incidents where our
member companies have been asked
for retrospective payments".
"We have raised our general
concerns about this practice with
the supermarket chain involved," she
" is is a serious issue that is
new to the New Zealand grocery
sector and we view it as an
unwelcome development. We have
asked members to report further
Mr Jones told Parliament's House
yesterday a number of New Zealand
suppliers had told him that they had
been called to meetings with the
supermarket chain's managers.
e supermarkets demanded
"backdated cheques and recompense
for the losses the supermarkets assert
they su ered last year," he said.
"And if they don't pay these
cheques, they are being told no shelf
space into the future. In any other
sort of country that's blackmail, that's
Mr Chambers said he "categorically"
denied Mr Jones's claims.
His company would "fully co-
operate with inquiries from the
Business commentator Rod Oram
told Radio NZ that suppliers were
massively disadvantaged if they had
to absorb the cost of unsold stock.
e sector was very competitive and
the tactics in negotiations between
suppliers and supermarkets were
hard-ball, he said.
"It's a very, very unequal
relationship. I think it's one of the
most uncomfortable commercial
relationships that I know."
Countdown's Australian parent
Woolworths was last week accused,
along with the Coles supermarket
chain, of removing New Zealand-
produced goods from their house
brands because of pressure to support
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$NZ KIWI DO
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
NZX50 CONSTITUENTS market
As at 4pm February 12, 2014
0.95 +0.01 723.0
1.70 +0.005 11.54
ANZ Banking Gr
33.60 +0.11 76.83
Argosy Prop Tr
Auckland Intl Apt
3.61 -0.03 16.21
1.48 -0.02 144.7
5.17 -0.03 9.42
Diligent BM Services
4.59 -0.01 0.50
DNZ Prop Fund
4.04 +0.01 33.64
9.35 -0.06 589.2
Fonterra Sh'ders Fund 6.15
4.55 +0.01 2.97
Goodman Prop Tr
0.97 +0.005 46.06
Guinness Peat Gr
2.93 -0.06 27.65
0.91 -0.01 4.57
2.17 -0.005 7.20
Kiwi Prop Tr
1.12 +0.01 14.85
12.80 -0.10 3.40
Michael Hill Intl
Mighty River Power
1.98 -0.01 88.12
1.24 -0.01 4.00
2.67 -0.03 26.87
13.90 -0.08 0.36
1.03 +0.005 39.03
Prop For Ind
1.27 +0.005 3.38
7.65 -0.03 142.1
Sky Network TV
5.73 -0.02 37.92
3.63 -0.02 583.1
Steel & Tube
Summerset Gr Hldgs
2.40 +0.005 1028
3.89 +0.03 228.6
2.30 +0.02 56.88
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
3.42 +0.01 51.14
40.18 +0.28 12.81
Trading to 10:30am,
Thursday, February 13, 2014
RISERS: 26 DECLINERS: 22 TRADED: 85
Aluminium High Grade 1,671.00 1,672.00
Great Britain GBP
JPY 90.480 83.990
United States USD
Aust-owned supermarket denies blackmailing NZ suppliers
A man who hired sex worker Mellory
Manning on the night she was killed
was unable to reach her by text later that
night and the following two days, the
High Court at Christchurch has been
e man, whose identity is suppressed,
told the court he met Miss Manning for
the rst time on December 18, 2008,
and had sex with her in his car before
dropping her back at her usual spot on
the corner of Manchester Street and
Peterborough Street about 10.30pm.
Mongrel Mob gang prospect Mauha
Huataki Fawcett, 26, has denied
murdering Miss Manning, claiming
police pressured him into making false
confessions that he was present when
she was killed over an unpaid debt.
e Crown alleges Miss Manning,
27, was raped, bashed with weapons
and stabbed at a Mongrel Mob gang
pad before her body was dumped in the
In evidence read to the court today, the
man said that after they had sex, Miss
Manning o ered her cellphone number
and said she would like to meet up with
him for a co ee.
"I had no intention of using her or
meeting her again, but I said yes because
I didn't want to o end her."
Miss Manning handed him a piece of
paper with her telephone number on it.
"When she gave me the piece of paper
she said she would like to meet up again
for a co ee sometime. I didn't reply," he
However, the man said he texted her as
he was driving home, saying, ' at was
nice. Have a good night'. She replied,
saying, 'Cool, text me any time'.
e man said he texted her again about
10.43pm but received no reply.
At work the following morning, he
heard that a woman's body had been
found in the Avon River.
e man said he texted Miss Manning
again that night and again on Saturday
"I had no idea it was Mellory in the
On December 21, a detective showed
him a photograph which he identi ed as
the woman he had engaged for sex.
"I only met Mellory that night. I think
she introduced herself as Mel."
He said he gave the piece of paper that
Miss Manning had given him to police.
Earlier, the court heard that Fawcett
and a patched Mongrel Mob member
had been looking for Miss Manning on
the night she was killed.
A woman, whose name is suppressed,
said Fawcett, who she knew by his gang
nickname, "Muck Dog", told her they
were looking for a "chick called Mel"
while the three were sharing cannabis in
a red Mazda car driver by Fawcett about
" ey were looking for her. ey said
she owed money," she said.
e woman said she did not know
When she got out of the car, Fawcett
and the mob member drove away
She said they were going to look up
the street to see if Miss Manning was
An ESR scientist told the court toxicology
tests showed that Miss Manning had
methadone, cannabis, morphine, traces of
an anti-anxiety drug and a sleeping aid
drug in her system at the time of her death.
No alcohol was detected.
Evidence yesterday, from Miss
Manning's cellphone records on
the night she was killed, traced her
movements from her usual working
spot at on the corner of Manchester St
and Peterborough Street to Galbraith
Avenue in Avonside, where the Crown
alleges she was murdered at a Mongrel
Mob gang pad.
e trial continues. --- APNZ
Man tells court
of Mellory texts
New Zealand's tallest skyscraper
will rise in the heart of Auckland,
A $350 million 52-level 209m
skyscraper has been announced
for a central city site left vacant
since the 1980s when Chase
Corporation demolished the
Royal International Hotel.
Chinese developer New
Development Group is to build
the tower, known now as NDG
Auckland Centre, on the site
of a car park and bungy jump
bounded by Elliot Street, Albert
Street and Victoria Street.
Auckland Council has granted
resource consent for the giant
which will be dwarfed only by
the 328m Sky Tower. A building
consent is still pending.
Mayor Len Brown announced
details of the tower yesterday,
saying it would be a huge
transformation for the city.
"Alongside the Sky Tower, this
will be a world class development
for Auckland that will create
hundreds of new jobs, energise
the CBD and boost Auckland's
GDP, through a more than
$350m investment by NDG," Mr
"It's also an example of the
major commercial opportunities
created by the City Rail Link
project. To date the private sector
has con rmed more than a billion
dollars of new investments along
the proposed route, including
Precinct Properties' downtown
retail and o ce development
($300m) the NZ International
Convention Centre ($400m) and
Elliott Towers ($350m)," he said.
It is not the rst time big plans
have been announced for the site,
which has been sitting empty
Less than a month before that
year's stock market crash, a newly
formed property rm, Acadia
Corp, sent a wrecking ball into
the Royal International Hotel.
e hotel was the agship of
beer giant Dominion Breweries.
Its interior was decorated by Lady
Kelliher, wife of DB managing
director Sir Henry Kelliher, and it
hosted the Beatles in 1964.
Acadia planned a $120m,
32-storey o ce tower on the site,
due to open in 1990.
But after the crash, the site
was turned over to car parks as a
succession of developers oated
and then abandoned their dreams.
Acadia was taken over by Sir
Ron Brierley's BIL, which sold
the site to Colin Reynolds' Chase
Chase wanted to install its retail
subsidiary Farmers Trading Co
on the ground oor. Above that it
planned an o ce tower connected
to Chase's Finance Centre by a
sky-bridge across Victoria Street.
It was to be New Zealand's
version of London's Canary
Just a few months after
Chase revealed its plans, the
Government placed the r m's
property arm under statutory
management, a move that marked
the start of its spectacular demise.
After Chase, the site fell into
the hands of an Indonesian
rm before it was bought by the
present owner --- Korea's DaeJu
--- for $25.5m in 2003.
DaeJu's planned a 67-storey,
$450m retail and apartment
complex known as the Elliott
A statement from Mr Brown's
o ce revealed further details of
the giant 52-level monster which
is also to contain a top-class
hotel, previously speculated to be
Despite New Zealand's growing
appetite for on-line shopping,
a large number of new shops
are planned and the block will
have an eight-level podium.
Aucklanders frustrated about
the lack of inner-city car parking
could also get relief because the
statement said six levels of below-
ground car parking were planned.
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Auckland plans NZ's tallest skyscraper
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
An artist's impression of the proposed Elliott Tower in central Auckland.
A French tourist has admitted her
role in a car crash that claimed the
life of an unborn child on Sunday
In the Manukau District Court
today, Marion Laure Heurteboust
pleaded guilty to three charges of
careless driving causing injury.
e two-car head-on collision
happened about 9.30pm on
Whangarei Heads Road,
ree people in the other car,
an 18-year-old man, an 18-year-
old woman and a 14-year-old boy,
were injured and the 18-year-old
woman's unborn child died as a
Defence lawyer Paul Borich
asked for Heurteboust, 27, to be
sentenced as soon as possible but
Judge Jonathan Moses wanted
more information about the victims
and the case was adjourned.
Mr Borich said Heurteboust,
who stood in the dock with her left
arm in plaster, would have money
to pay a ne and emotional harm
reparation. --- APNZ
Tourist admits causing crash
Unborn child killed in collision
Insurance company payouts for the
Canterbury earthquakes have topped
the $10 billion mark.
By the end of 2013, insurers had paid
$6.7b in commercial settlements and
$3.5b in residential settlements, the
Insurance Council says.
Insurance Council chief executive Tim
Grafton says $2b of the commercial
payouts were made last year.
He said the total did not include the
Ports of Lyttelton payout to be made
in the rst quarter of this year of $428
million, the largest insurance payout in
New Zealand history.
" at means 70% of all commercial
claims have now been settled and
reinforces the value of insurance in
helping the commercial sector to quickly
recover from what was one of the
biggest-ever insurance disaster events
globally," Mr Grafton said.
Residential payouts in 2013 were more
than $1.56b --- about $4m a day, Mr
Canterbury Earthquake Recovery
Authority gures suggested 42% of
Over Cap claims --- those above the
rst $100,000 plus GST cap for damage
repair to insured homes paid by the
Earthquake Commission --- have been
paid, he said.
In addition, 58% of Out of Scope
claims --- those outside EQC scope, such
as driveways, pathways and swimming
pools --- have been paid.
EQC's website said that it had paid
out $6.8b in claims itself, including
News the $10b mark has been passed
comes a day after more than 300
disgruntled Christchurch homeowners
held a public meeting to air their
grievances over the way claims have
been handled by the government-owned
claims management company Southern
Response. --- NZN
top $10 billion
A motorcyclist was taken to hospital
after colliding with a car in central
e man was reportedly travelling
at about 40kph when the collision
happened at the intersection of
Karangahape Road and Mercury Lane
It is understood the man has back
and neck injuries and is in a serious
condition. However, the injuries were
not thought to be life-threatening.
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Cyclist run over
A cyclist has su ered a broken leg and
possible broken pelvis after a hit-and-
run in south Dunedin.
A St John spokesman said the man in
his 20s was knocked o his bicycle by a
vehicle just before 10pm yesterday.
He was taken to Dunedin Hospital
after the incident near the intersection
of King Edward and Melbourne Streets.
Police had not located the vehicle early
today. -- Otago Daily Times
Links Archive February 12th 2014 February 14th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page