Home' Greymouth Star : February 13th 2014 Contents www.greystar.co.nz
PHONE 769 7900
ursday, February 13, 2014
$866,000 bid wins Anderson
Corey Anderson was last night "trying
to stop bouncing off the walls" after being
picked up as New Zealand s best-paid player
in this year s Indian Premier League.
e big-hitting young allrounder
was signed by the Mumbai Indians for
$NZ866,000 after they saw off interest from
the Rajasthan Royals, Delhi Daredevils and
National skipper Brendon McCullum,
Jimmy Neesham and Tim Southee were
the other New Zealanders to be picked up
on the opening night of the auction for
the seventh edition of the IPL, scheduled
for April. McCullum went to the Chennai
Super Kings, coached by his manager,
former New Zealand captain Stephen
Fleming, for $627,000. Neesham was signed
by the Delhi Daredevils and Southee was
picked up by the Rajasthan Royals.
However, Ross Taylor --- who had a lean
time last year at now-defunct Pune Warriors
--- Nathan McCullum, Luke Ronchi, Jesse
Ryder, Martin Guptill, Adam Milne, Colin
Munro and Neil Broom did not attract a
single bid, but they can go back on the block
for the second day s action in Bangalore
"It s a bit of a crazy time," Anderson said
last night. "It works in peculiar ways. It s a
bit of a circus; you just watch and hold on."
He had an eye on the activity last night but
said he didn t really know what to expect, or
even if his name would come up.
"To finally see your name pop up, you
starting getting nerves, then once you get
that first bid, you re pretty excited about
what s going to happen from then on. It s a
very exciting time."
Anderson, 23 and owner of the world s
fastest international ODI century in a
summer of furious limited-overs run-
making, admitted one of the first things he
did was check out who his team-mates will
He will be alongside headline acts Kieron
Pollard, Lasith Malinga, Mike Hussey and
current Indian test pair Rohit Sharma and
Anderson was rated a snip at that price by
onlookers after veteran Indian allrounder
Yuvraj Singh drew top price at $2.71 million
from Royal Challenger Bangalore, to be
coached by former New Zealand captain
e much-anticipated bidding for dumped
England batsman Kevin Pietersen had three
franchises toing and froing before the Delhi
Daredevils used their Right to Match card
--- enabling franchises to retain a player if
they match the final bid --- at $1.74 million
to nab him from Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Joke pick of the night? Indian
wicketkeeper Dinesh Karthik --- highest
T20 score for India 31 not out --- was
bought for $700,000 more than Pietersen.
Among McCullum s team mates will be
Indian stars MS Dhoni, Ravi Ashwin and
Six players had been sold for seven-figure
sums late last night.
Players are paid on a pro rata basis. As long
as they are available for selection, even if not
wanted in the final XI, they get their cut.
Seventeen New Zealand players were in
the final auction list.
--- New Zealand Herald
e Wigan Warriors blew a rusty
New Zealand Warriors off the park
46-22 in Hamilton last night, leaving
the home side bruised and coach Matt
Elliott with a long "to-do" list.
Wigan ran away with the game in
the second half, scoring 20 unanswered
points and repeatedly exposing their
opponent s weak right flank.
With 16 of the club s players ---
including former Wigan Warrior
Sam Tomkins --- out of contention
of this match for the inaugural NRL
Auckland Nines this weekend, the NZ
Warriors had just nine players with
NRL first grade experience.
And it showed.
e locals were guilty of handling
lapses and some poor and disorganised
defence in the opening stanza that saw
Wigan race out to a 12-0 lead with
Jack Hughes and Joe Burgess both
touching down within eight minutes.
But led by their strong-running
captain Steve Rapira, second-rower
Ben Matulino and the wide-ranging
Feleti Mateo the NZ Warriors clawed
back with three tries to take a 16-12
lead after 26 minutes.
e crowd of about 4000 went to
the break pleased with a rusty NZ
Warriors holding a 22-16 lead in an
ere was little to cheer about in
the second spell however as the NZ
Warriors were cruelly shown on their
right flank with Burgess scoring two
more tries and others to Gil Dudson
and Sam Powell --- all within 20
When Wigan winger Dom
Manfredi raced 90m to score with 19
minutes to go the crowd knew it was
e Warriors came through the
match without injuries but clearly
have work to do while Wigan leave
New Zealand completing the perfect
build-up for their showdown against
the Roosters in Sydney for the World
Club Challenge next weekend.
e match was the latest in a packed
pre-season schedule for the Warriors
who after this weekend s Auckland
Nines tournament will play the
Broncos at Dunedin on February 23.
--- New Zealand Herald
Wigan too strong
for depleted Warriors
PICTURE: Getty Images
Scott Taylor of Wigan is tackled by Jacob Lillyman, rear, and Sam Rapira
during last night s match at Waikato Stadium.
Tom Latham will prepare today as if he is
making his test debut in the clutch second
test against India starting at the Basin Reserve
e Canterbury lefthander is in the New
Zealand squad as cover for Ross Taylor, whose
wife, Victoria, is expected to give birth to a
second child at some point this week.
No one is talking deadlines, but if the baby does
not arrive early today the country s best batsman
is expected to sit out the match.
So Latham, already a limited-overs
international and in strong batting form, is
working on the basis that he is in for a test in
which New Zealand can register a notable series
victory, provided they are not beaten by the
world No 2 Indians --- not that that attitude
rests comfortably with the hosts.
"Probably the best way to come into a team is
when they re doing well," Latham said yesterday.
" ere will be pressure on me but I ve always
wanted to play test cricket and it s a dream."
Latham will be half of the ninth New Zealand
father-son combination to play test cricket if he s
chosen. Father Rod played four tests in the early
1990s and was part of the World Cup squad in
the storied summer of 1992.
Latham has made 687 Plunket Shield runs
this summer for Canterbury, at 68.7, second
only in aggregates to the perennially prolific, but
unwanted Michael Papps.
at includes an unbeaten 241 against
Wellington in December.
His cricket has been played this season as a
opener, but he ll be required in the middle order
if he plays in the test. Not that the 21-year-old
is fazed by that.
"It s not a position unfamiliar to me. is is my
first season opening for Canterbury.
"It s nice to have put those numbers on the
board. e consistency is the most pleasing thing
about it and it s nice the selectors have rewarded
me for that."
Latham was one of two players brought in
from the 40-run first test win and, through vastly
different circumstances, both could be playing
ere is an old dictum about not changing
winning teams. at should never be a locked-in
concept, and with a question mark over Taylor s
availability and the thought that legspinner
Ish Sodhi might be stood down in favour
of all-rounder Jimmy Neesham it is a real
By contrast, India are likely to stick with an
ey have their top six batsmen locked in, and
the three seamers --- Mohammed Shami, Ishant
Sharma and veteran Zaheer Khan --- were
strong in New Zealand s weak second innings at
Sharma got some bad news yesterday, having
been left out of India s world T20 squad. But his
nine wickets in the first test were his best return
for two and a half years.
at leaves left arm spinner Ravi Jadeja. He is
a sparky type in the field, bowls tidily and is a
e option is the taller offspinner Ravi Ashwin,
who has a fine record of 104 wickets in 19 tests
and a couple of test hundreds, but lost his place
two tests ago to Jadeja in Durban.
e pitch, a distinct green yesterday, is expected
to play similarly to that for the West Indies
test before Christmas --- that is, helpful to the
seamers for much of the match, but with runs in
it for the batsmen good enough to make use of
If Latham plays in the second test against
India, he will follow father Rod as a test player.
--- New Zealand Herald
Latham set to step in for Taylor
Only 13 Coasters
make start line
of The Westport News
Most golfers struggle to score
a single hole-in-one --- former
Greymouth man Russell Nelson can
not believe he has scored two in less
than a week.
e first came on Tuesday last week
on the par 3 second hole at Westport s
Nelson hit a wedge, the ball bounced
once, then rolled into the hole.
Among his playing four that day was
local parish priest, Father Raymond
"He blessed me," Nelson laughed.
On Sunday, Nelson repeated the
feat, this time on the par 3 13th using
a seven iron.
All the foursome hit good shots, but
none knew exactly where their balls
had landed because the green is out
of sight of the tee. Closer up, they
spotted three balls on the green and
Nelson jokingly told his mate: "When
you go past the hole could you pick
my ball out?
"He laughed and he walked over to
it, then gave me the thumbs up."
Nine months ago, Nelson was not
having such a good time on the
Westport links. He suffered a heart
attack there as he was about to begin
a round last May and later underwent
a triple bypass. His surgeon told him
it was a miracle he had sur vived and
that if he had lifted his club to tee off,
he would have been dead.
Now 66, Nelson took up golf as a
teenager. A doctor prescribed walking
for exercise after he lost his foot in a
plywood factory accident.
Walking around a golf course
seemed more fun than walking the
He scored his first hole-in-one
during a tournament in Greymouth,
when he was about 19, but kept
it secret after one of his foursome
warned him he would have to shout
"He said the whisky drinkers drink
doubles and the beer drinkers drink
whisky and you re unemployed."
Nelson now plays off a 12 handicap.
He had a golf lesson in Nelson
recently because he had been having
trouble with his irons.
"I came back and it s been superb
e odds of scoring a hole in one
are calculated at 12,500 to one for the
average golfer and 2500 to one for a
PICTURE: Westport News
Russell Nelson in fine form with the golf clubs.
COAST TO COAST
Entrants are coming from all over the world
for the 32nd Speight s Coast to Coast tomorrow,
but only 13 West Coast athletes have taken up
Altogether, nearly 600 competitors are signed
up for the two-day race, which heads off from
Serpentine beach at dawn tomorrow, and the
gruelling one-day event on Saturday.
About 60 people are entered in the separate
mountain run event, 125 in the one-day, with 25
three-person teams and 65 two-person teams.
Operations manager Dale Coulter said those
numbers were similar to last year.
"A lot of events are down, so to maintain is
good," Coulter said.
He acknowledged the low number of West
Coast entries this year: "Some areas are down,
while some are up."
Coulter said the new organisers, Queenstown-
based Trojan Holdings, which has this year
taken over from event creator Robin Judkins,
would be looking to encourage more Coast
competitors to engage in the event located at
"With the new organisers there are going to
be quite a few new initiatives."
Representatives from the company would be
overseeing how the event was run this year.
ey would also be looking to try to make it
easier for international competitors to join the
race, Coulter said.
e few West Coast competitors entered have
come from all around the region --- five from
Greymouth, one from Hari Hari, one from
Reefton, one from Otira, one from Westport,
two from Ahaura and two from Franz Josef
An entry has come from as far afield as the
United Arab Emirates by a former Greymouth
man in the two-day event.
Coming from across the ditch are 31
Australian competitors, nine from the United
States, 34 from the United Kingdom and five
However, there is again no sign of an entry
from royals in-law Pippa Middleton, who last
year blogged that she wanted to take part in the
Coast to Coast.
Making up the bulk of the entries are 127
competitors from Christchurch.
e two-day title will be up for grabs this year,
as Greymouth chiropractor Seamus Meikle will
not be defending the title he won last year.
Meanwhile, winner of the Greymouth
Mountain Man multisport race last month,
American, Scott Cole, will line up for the one-
e ages of the athletes are once again varied,
with three competitors aged 16 taking part in
teams this year. ey will have a few years on
the oldest competitor, aged 70.
Dubbed as the "world s premier multi-sport
event", the Coast to Coast sees competitors
start at Serpentine beach and cycle 140km
across three stages of 55km, 15km and 70km,
run a 33km mountain stage from Aickens to
Klondyke Corner over Goat Pass, and kayak
67km down the Waimakariri River through
the Waimakariri Gorge to the finish at Sumner
beach, in Christchurch.
Arsenal squandered the chance
to return to the top of the Premier
League when they failed to break
down Manchester United in a
goalless stalemate at the Emirates
e home side had the better
chances against a listless United but
their failure to win left Chelsea top
on 57 points, one clear of Arsenal
with 12 matches to play.
Manchester City stayed third
on 54 points and have a game
in hand after their home fixture
with Sunderland was postponed
because of dangerously strong
Liverpool are fourth on 53
points, a Steven Gerrard penalty in
stoppage time giving them a 3-2 win
at bottom of the table Fulham who
Tottenham Hotspur are fifth,
three points behind Liverpool,
after a superb 4-0 win at Newcastle
United following two goals from
Emmanuel Adebayor and one each
by Paulinho and Nacer Chadli.
In the other match to survive
the weather Stoke City drew 1-1
with Swansea City at the Britannia
Stadium. --- Reuters
Arsenal blows it with MU
Former New Zealand cricket great
Sir Richard Hadlee has refused to
comment on criticisms levelled at
him by Chris Cairns.
Cairns, a former Black Cap,
named Sir Richard as one of the
New Zealand Cricket (NZC)
board members who had questions
to answer when he hit out earlier
this week against his treatment
during an investigation into match
Cairns was named in December as
one of three former New Zealand
cricketers being investigated over
claims of fixing in three countries ---
allegations he vehemently denies.
On Sunday he hit out at cricket
bosses saying the investigation
had been slow, unjust and had
allowed rumour and speculation to
He said he had not been supported
by NZC and had yet to hear
anything from the International
Cricket Council (ICC).
In particular he singled out four
senior NZC figures, including Sir
"Sir Richard Hadlee is a board
member, too. How would he feel
having his family name drawn
through the mud?" he said about the
former Black Cap.
However, Sir Richard refused to
discuss the comments when asked
about them today at the launch of
the countdown to the 2015 Cricket
"I can t comment on anything
like that. I m a New Zealand
Cricket board member so it s
inappropriate for me to talk about
that," he said.
When pushed on the specific
comments Cairns had made about
him, he said: "He did mention a
number of names, yes, but I can t talk
about that, sorry."
away for some photographs.
Hadlee mum on Cairns criticism
Links Archive February 12th 2014 February 14th 2014 Navigation Previous Page