Home' Greymouth Star : April 8th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
6 - Tuesday, April 8, 2014
Schapelle Corby had trafficked drugs
into Bali three times before her arrest,
and “acted crazy ” to get her sentence cut,
her former Australian cellmate Renae
Lawrence, one of the Bali Nine drug
couriers, was secretly videoed making the
allegations that were broadcast on Network
She said Corby, who was released from
Bali’s Kerobokan jail on parole in February,
was good at keeping her secrets, but “let one
slip one night ”.
“S he said that she knew the marijuana was
in the boogie bag, but the person who was
supposed to be at the airport at the same
time didn’t turn up,” Lawrence said.
“S he told me and the other prisoner that
she’d done it more than this time.
“S he said she’d brought the drugs (into
Bali) before three times. ”
Lawrence also claimed Corby “acted crazy ”
to get her sentence cut.
In 2012, Indonesian President Susilo
Bambang Yudhoyono reduced Corby’s
sentence by five years, citing compassionate
“S he said it herself, she played crazy so
that she would get more sympathy and more
time off from the President of Indonesia,”
“S he would put on more of an act when
someone important came into the block,
like the doctor or the jail boss.”
Corby’s parole is already under review after
her sister Mercedes gave an inter view to the
Seven Network in which she continued to
argue her sister’s innocence.
Authorities assessing whether Corby
should be punished are also taking into
account her mental state, after witnessing
her attempt at self-harm and assessing her
The head of corrections in Bali, Sunar
Agus, said he would not comment on
whether the Lawrence inter view was an
added complication until he had seen it.
But it appears Lawrence may also be in
trouble, because prisoners are allowed to
give inter views from prison only with the
permission of the Justice Ministry.
Lawrence was moved from Kerobokan jail
to another prison in Bali in October, amid
accusations the 36-year-old had conspired
with another inmate to murder two female
But because of her good behaviour, she
was again moved last month to a less-
isolated jail. — A AP
Corby admitted drug
running to cellmate
Peaches Geldof, the daughter of music
legend Sir Bob Geldof and Paula Yates,
has died at the age of 25, reports out of
the UK say.
The model and television presenter was
later pronounced dead by the South-east
Coast Ambulance Ser vice.
A spokesman for Kent police said: “At
this stage, the death is being treated as
unexplained and sudden.”
Bob Geldof said in a statement:
“ Peaches has died. We are beyond pain.’’
“S he was the wildest, funniest, c leverest,
wittiest and the most bonkers of all of
us,’’ he said. “ Writing ‘was’ destroys me
afresh. What a beautiful child. How
is this possible that we will not see her
again? How is that bearable?’’
Peaches has two sons, Astala, who is set
to turn two on April 21, and Phaedra,
whose first birthday will be on April 24,
with her husband Thomas Cohen.
“ My beloved wife Peaches was adored
by myself and her two sons Astala and
Phaedra, and I shall bring them up with
their mother in their hearts every day.
We shall love her forever,’’ Cohen said in
The blonde beauty married the lead
singer of the south-east London band
SCUM on September 8, 2012, at a
Davington church , where her mother’s
funeral took place almost 14 years ago.
Peaches’ mother Paula died of a drug
overdose in September 2000 when she
was just 11 and during an inter view with
Elle magazine in 2012, she admitted she
was still coming to terms with the loss.
She said: “I remember the day my
mother died, and it ’s still hard to talk
about it. I just blocked it out. I went to
school the next day because my father’s
mentality was ‘keep calm and carry on’,”
“So we all went to school and tried to
act as if nothing had happened. But it
had happened. I didn’t grieve. I didn’t cry
at her funeral. I couldn’t express anything
because I was just numb to it all. I didn’t
start grieving for my mother properly
until I was maybe 16.”
She was previously married to rock
musician Max Drummey but they
separated in 2009 after a six-months.
dies at 25
Oscar Pistorius becomes emotional during his trial at the High Court in Pretoria.
A tearful Oscar Pistorius has apologised to
Reeva Steenkamp’s family, telling the court
he had “terrible nightmares” since killing his
girlfriend and often woke up smelling blood.
Sobbing and with his jaw trembling as he
took the witness stand in his defence, Pistorius
said he did not intend to kill his 29-year-old
The Paralympic gold medallist is accused of
premeditated murder, but claims he shot the
model though a locked toilet door believing
she was an intruder.
“I want to take this opportunity to apologise
to Mr and Mrs Steenkamp,” he said, at times
barely audible as he sobbed.
Pistorius said he was “trying to protect Reeva”
on Valentine’s Day last year.
“I can promise that when she went to bed
that night she felt loved.
“There isn’t a moment, or hasn’t been a
moment since this tragedy happened that I
haven’t thought about your family.
“I can’t imagine the pain and sorrow and
the emptiness that I’ve caused you and your
In the court Steenkamp’s mother June,
flanked by other relatives, stared at him stony-
faced during the apology.
She has sat through weeks of gruesome
evidence, including brutal images of her dead
The athlete was speaking publicly for the first
time about the events surrounding Steenkamp’s
Since that fateful night, “I’ve had terrible
nightmares,” he said, adding: “I wake up at
night smelling blood.”
He also said he has been on anti-depressants
since the shooting.
Pistorius told the court that on one occasion
after waking in the middle of the night he
crawled into a cupboard because he was so
The session seemed just as harrowing for the
The court was forced to adjourn for the day
ahead of schedule after defence lawyer Barry
Roux said his witness was exhausted by a lack
of sleep and the day ’s ordeal.
“ Well he does look exhausted, he sounds
exhausted,” Judge Thokozile Masipa said,
granting the defence an adjournment.
After five weeks of prosecution testimony,
yesterday was the first day of Pistorius’s
defence. — AAP
Distraught Pistorius admits
to ‘terrible nightmares’
Sri Lanka has rejected calls
for co-operation with a United
Nations investigation into war
crimes and vowed it will not
subject itself to the jurisdiction of
the world’s highest rights body.
Lakshman Peiris said Sri Lanka
will not allow United Nations
High Commissioner for Human
Rights Navi Pillay to launch an
investigation mandated under a
US-initiated resolution adopted
“ We will not submit ourselves
to this process,” Peiris told
the Foreign Correspondents’
Association of Sri Lanka in
“Sri Lanka will not participate
in this inquiry.”
Peiris’s remarks came a week
after UN Secretary-General
Ban Ki-moon asked Colombo
to engage “constructively” and
co-operate with the UN Human
Rights Council (UNHRC) to
implement a resolution calling
for an international inquiry into
atrocities by both sides.
President Mahinda Rajapakse
said soon after the motion that
he rejected it.
However, the foreign minister’s
statement was the strongest
refusal yet to co-operate with any
The UN has also set aside
a budget of nearly $US1.5
million ($NZ1.8 million) for
the investigation and the office
of the High Commissioner is
expected to present a final report
by March 2015.
“ We have taken a clear policy
decision that we will not subject
ourselves to the jurisdiction
of the (UN Human Rights)
Commissioner,” Peiris said.
However, he added Colombo
remains engaged with other
UN agencies addressing a wide
range of other issues from health
and education to war-displaced
Asked if Colombo will try to
stop foreigners visiting the island
as part of the UN probe, Peiris
said: “No one can come here
without the co-operation of the
government of Sri Lanka.”
He insisted Colombo will press
ahead with its own reconciliation
process five years after crushing
Tamil Tiger rebels and declaring
an end to 37 years of ethnic war
which the UN estimates claimed
at least 100,000 lives.
the resolution calling for a
into alleged serious violations
and abuses of human rights and
related crimes by both parties in
Sri Lanka” on March 27. — AAP
Sri Lanka snubs UN war crimes probe
Russia cautions Kiev over protests
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov
told Ukraine’s acting foreign minister, Andrei
Deshchytsa, in a phone conversation overnight
that Kiev must not use force against pro-
Russian protesters in south-eastern Ukraine,
Lavrov’s ministry said.
“The need to respect the aspirations of the
residents of southeastern Ukraine (and) the
inadmissibility of the use of force to respond to
legal demands (by protesters) to protect their
language, culture and socio-economic rights
was emphasised (from the Russian side),” the
ministry’s statement said.
Ukraine’s interior minister accused President
Vladimir Putin yesterday of orchestrating
“separatist disorder” in eastern Ukraine, where
pro-Russian protesters seized administrative
buildings in three cities, as a pretext to send
Russian troops into Ukraine. — Reuters
Police are offering a nearly $40,000 reward
for information leading to the arrest of whoever
was behind the latest in a rash of acid attacks
disfiguring women in the Colombian capital.
The latest victim was Ines Carillo, who was
opening up the fast food restaurant where she
works on Saturday when an unknown male
assailant surprised her and hurled a chemical
The attack followed one 10 days ago against
a 33-year-old who had her face and nearly
a quarter of her body disfigured. The crime
provoked outrage as it was caught on security
cameras. More than 900 such attacks have been
documented in the country since 2004. — AP
Woman disfigured by acid attack
A Dutch Jesuit priest was beaten and
shot dead by unidentified gunmen at his
monastery in the besieged Syrian city of
Homs on yesterday, the Vatican said.
Frans van der Lugt, 75, who had been
living in Syria since the early 1970s, was
a man of great courage who had refused
to leave the city despite the danger
there, Vatican spokesman Rev Federico
“ Father Frans was killed in the garden
of our monastery,” Rev Ziad Hillal,
another Jesuit who lived there with
the Dutch priest, told Vatican Radio.
“They shot him in the head. It was a
The Jesuit order in the Netherlands said
the priest was taken from the monastery
in the morning and shot twice in the head.
Lombardi praised van der Lugt as a
man of great courage who “despite an
extremely difficult and risky situation,
wanted to remain faithful to the Syrian
people to whom he had dedicated his life
and his spiritual ser vice. ”
Dutch Foreign Minister Frans
Timmermans wrote on his Facebook
page that van der Lugt “only brought
good to Homs, was a Syrian among
Syrians, (who) refused to abandon them
even when it meant risking his own life. ”
Christians made up about 10% of
Syria’s population before protests in
2011 led to a wider civil war. — Reuters
slain in Syria
Cnr Boundary & Herbert Sts, GREYMOUTH
Repeat advertising* in
the Greymouth Star
AVAILABLE TO CASUAL &
LIMITED TIME OFFER
*conditions apply, contact the GreymouthStar for details.
03 769 7920
Contact our advertising team
today for more information
Links Archive April 7th 2014 April 9th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page