Home' Greymouth Star : April 15th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
6 - Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Police have launched a criminal
investigation after a 25-year-old hunter
was shot dead by a member of another
Yesterday police named the man as
Adam David Hill, a western Southland
He is survived by his partner and two
Mr Hill was shot about 11.30am on
Sunday while out hunting with friends in
the Longwood Forest, about 50km west
of Invercargill. He died at the scene.
He was shot in the chest by a high-
powered ri e belonging to a member of
another hunting party, also from western
Southland, detective sergeant Mark
McCloy, of Invercargill, said.
"His friends are pretty distraught.'' Both
parties were unknown to each other, he
Emergency services were called to
the remote but popular hunting area at
1.30pm, after one of Mr Hill's friends
raised the alarm.
A medic from Te Anau along with police
were winched into the area by helicopter
and recovered the body of the hunter.
Mr McCloy said police were treating
the matter as a criminal investigation and
charges were possible.
Investigation would determine the
range at which the man had been shot,
and it was unclear whether Mr Hill had
been wearing high-visibility clothing.
Police were yet to interview all members
of both parties.
In a statement, Mr Hill's family thanked
the community for their support but
A post-mortem examination was
conducted in Invercargill yesterday.
Mr McCloy said the incident was a
timely reminder for hunters to "identify
"If in doubt, do not re.''
--- Otago Daily times
A museum in a hangar at Wanaka
Airport devoted to one of the German
Air Force's main ghter aircraft
during World War Two will open to
the public for the rst time at Easter's
Warbirds over Wanaka air show.
e hangar contains a four- fths
scale replica of a Focke-Wulf 190 D9,
full-size versions of which fought
Spit res and Hurricanes of the Royal
e Focke-Wulf Museum is the
dream of Swiss-born Gilles Kupfer,
who describes it as "the project of my
Mr Kupfer, 43, sketched his rst
Focke-Wulf at the age of 16 and then,
in 1999, began building his replica in a
small space between two houses in his
home town of Veytaux.
He started with "zero money" and
spent 14,000 hours over ve years
crafting every piece of the aircraft
himself, aside from the engine, which
is Russian made.
Capable of 500kph, his replica ew
for the rst time in Switzerland in
Mr Kupfer moved himself and his
replica to Wanaka after getting to
know pilots who ew vintage aircraft
in the warbirds airshow.
His hangar also contains the parts
for his latest project, a full-size 190
D9, likely to take him another ve
years to complete.
Using a family inheritance, he
bought his hangar but lives in a
backpackers hostel in Wanaka. He
says his dreams are about ying,
rather than making millions of
Focke-Wulf ghters were own by
Luftwa e ace Hans Dortenmann,
credited with 38 victories from 150
--- Otago Daily Times
First plane for German hangar
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
Focke-Wulf Museum founder Gilles Kupfer and his replica World War Two ghter at Wanaka Airport.
Plans for a $100 million
waterfront hotel in Dunedin have
been scrapped and the developers'
partnership with the Dunedin
City Council has descended into
Hotel developer Jing Song
yesterday con rmed she had
torn up a memorandum of
understanding with the council,
signed just last month, which had
aimed to nd ways to progress the
Ms Song's move came after
she gave the council until 4pm
yesterday to hand over a report
outlining options to address
tra c problems at the hotel site.
e report --- being prepared
by tra c engineering consultants
from both sides --- was due on
March 21, but was yet to be
completed. By 4.35pm yesterday,
after the report had not arrived,
Ms Song advised
the council the
with it, the hotel
Ms Song said she
at the outcome,
after three years'
work, and accused
the council of not
"We are now extremely
disappointed and sad. e
actions tell all. ey didn't take it
seriously," she said.
"We can't work with a council
However, Dunedin Mayor Dave
Cull rejected the claim last night
and hit back, suggesting Ms Song
was using "a pretext" to escape the
saying is they're
a pretext. eir
they're giving for
abrogating this are
not true --- they
don't stand up."
Mr Cull said
the council had
responded "with alacrity" to
several requests from Ms Song's
company, Betterways, in recent
Instead, he believed Ms Song
had concluded, as others had
earlier, tra c problems at the site
" e council has made every
e ort to ful l the agreement that
we made," he said.
Ms Song rejected Mr Cull's
claim when asked last night.
"I'm not sure where he's getting
this idea from, and I don't think
he's telling the truth," she replied.
e tit-for-tat accusations
came just a month after Mr
Cull and a beaming Betterways
Advisory Ltd director Steve
Rodgers announced, at a packed
media conference, the two parties'
agreement to work together.
e "partnership" initially
required each side to employ a
consultant tra c engineer to
work together to address complex
tra c issues posed by a 27-storey
hotel at 41 Wharf Street.
Mr Cull said he regretted the
partnership had "come to an
end in an untidy way", as he
and the council had also put a
"huge amount" of e ort into
trying to advance the hotel.
--- Otago Daily Times
Labour will roll out a
nationwide bowel cancer
screening programme within
three years if it is elected, leader
David Cunli e announced
Mr Cunli e said the current
screening programme would be
extended to Waikato and Otago-
Southland District Health
Boards next year, because these
regions had high rates of bowel
A national programme would
be introduced within the
Mr Cunli e said National
was dragging the chain on an
expanded scheme for bowel
cancer, which killed about 1200
New Zealanders a year.
Health Minister Tony Ryall
is waiting on the results of a
$24 million pilot programme at
the Waitemata DHB before he
considers a broader scheme.
e Government wanted to
collect evidence on whether the
programme was cost-e ective,
and was concerned about
whether there would be enough
sta to meet the demand of an
Mr Cunli e said the results of
the Waitemata trial spoke for
"More than 58,600 people
completed a bowel screening test,
more than 3200 went on to have
a colonoscopy and cancer was
detected in 128."
Labour's screening programme
would initially target those aged
between 50 and 64, and would
consider raising the threshold to
74 years at a later date.
e Waitemata programme,
which screens 50 to 74-year-olds,
would remain the same.
"Bowel cancer kills ve times
as many Kiwis each year than are
killed on our roads," Mr Cunli e
"Screening results in at least a
15% reduction in the death rate
and prevent 180 deaths a year."
Labour estimated that the
cost of running the scheme in
Waitemata, Waikato and Otago-
Southland would be $14m a year
e Labour leader had
announced plans for a national
scheme when he was Health
Minister in 2008, but this stalled
when National came into power
because of di cult economic
Once a national scheme was
in place, it was expected to cost
between $60m and $70m a year.
Green Party health spokesman
Kevin Hague did not support
Labour's proposal, saying it
was important to understand
the negatives of a screening
programme before massively
"It's easy to quantify the bene ts
of a screening programme. It's
a heck of a lot harder to know
about any harm that has been
He pointed to the rejection
of a national prostate screening
programme because the potential
risks of side-e ects --- such as
impotence and incontinence
--- outweighed the bene ts of
detecting prostate cancer.
Mr Hague said it was clear
that the workforce was not
in place to meet any increase
in demand for colonoscopies.
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Bowel screening priority: Labour
Prime Minister John Key
yesterday accepted there may
be merit in gathering more data
on foreign ownership of New
Zealand housing as Opposition
parties continued to criticise
his Government for failing to
prevent overseas buyers bidding up
In a speech yesterday NZ First
Leader Winston Peters said that
faced with a housing crisis, "the
Government is refusing to act on
curbing demand by limiting the
purchase of our housing stock by
non-resident, non New Zealand
He pointed to recent comments
from Finance Minister Bill
English that foreign purchases of
houses in New Zealand was "not a
"How does he know how many
houses are being bought by non
New Zealanders? He does not ---
but as Minister of Finance it is
worse he doesn't want to know."
Mr Peters said NZ First had called
for a register for foreign ownership
of land and houses and had policy
to stop non-residents "who are not
New Zealand citizens from buying
our houses and land, except if
they rst meet a stringent criteria
related to New Zealand exports
and economic interests".
"When the dust settles on
election night 2014, New Zealand
First will be in a strong position
which makes the policies we stand
for extremely relevant." Labour
also has a policy that if elected,
it would block all purchases of
existing property by people who
did not live here, or did not plan
to live here.
Mr Key said there was "a credible
argument to see whether we
should start collecting more data"
on foreign ownership of housing.
However, it would not be
straightfor ward to compile that
data, "it depends on the structure
that someone's buying that
property in, it depends on what
their intentions are".
"On the best sort of data we can
see, much of which is anecdotal,
the majority of o shore buyers
who buy a property, buy it because
there is a fairly close connection
in New Zealand. ey intend to
emigrate here, they have a family
member here, all of those types
of things, all of which boost the
economy in lots of other forms."
National was not considering a
ban in any case.
" at hasn't been the view
that we've taken that that's been
necessary at this point." National
believed supply side issues
such as land availability were
the main factor in rising house
prices in Auckland as well as
the city's increasing population.
--- APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Rethink on foreign home-buying
A woman who used more than
$1 million of her sister's money
to secure mortgages has been
found guilty of fraud.
Michelle Roberta Innes, 59,
had stood trial in Auckland
District Court on 10 charges
laid by the Serious Fraud O ce
She was found guilty yesterday
of all 10 charges including theft,
theft by a person in a special
relationship, and theft by a
person required to account, the
An SFO investigation,launched
three years ago, found Innes had
used more than $1m entrusted
to her by her sister, as well as a
Pauanui property owned by her
sister, as security for mortgages
for her own bene t.
e o ending took place over
seven years between 2001 and
SFO director Julie Read said
fraudsters often targeted those
close to them where there was a
"It is important to ensure
that there are proper checks
and controls when you entrust
your money to others no matter
what your relationship with that
person might be."
Innes was remanded on bail to
be sentenced in June. She faces
a maximum sentence of seven
years in prison. --- APNZ
Woman guilty of fraud after using sister's money
Cnr Boundary & Herbert Sts, GREYMOUTH Ph: 768-4205
EVERYTHING FOR YOUR HOME
* "Laying Included" offer ends for measure and quotes booked in, for the selected product, where the order is confirmed prior
to 30th April 2014, Carpet, Smoothedge, Doorbars, Underlay, Freight Charges and any other items that may be required to
complete your job will be charged out at normal rates or while stocks of the selected colours last. "Laying Included" discount
does not apply if purchasing using CRT or ATS Card.
THAT'S JUST $51.88 PER SQM
AUGUSTA SOLUTION DYED NYLON CARPET
Carpet is sold in broadloom metres.
One metre of carpet is 3.66 metres
wide i.e. 3.66 square metres.
Links Archive April 14th 2014 April 16th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page