Home' Greymouth Star : April 23rd 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
A man who has sued X-Men lm-
maker Bryan Singer claiming he
had raped him as a teenager named
three more Hollywood executives in
lawsuits led yesterday, alleging sexual
abuse and rape and seeking damages
exceeding $10 million.
Michael Egan, 31, who was an
aspiring teen actor in Los Angeles,
said television executives Garth
Ancier and David Neuman and
entertainment rm executive Gary
Goddard were part of an underage sex
ring in Hollywood in late 1999 and
2000 that had abused Egan.
A representative for Goddard said
he was out of the country currently.
Goddard will "review the complaint
and respond appropriately. Based on
what we understand the allegations
to be, the complaint is without merit,"
the representative said.
Ancier did not respond to calls
and e-mails seeking comment, and
Neuman could not immediately be
In a news conference, Egan was
accompanied by his mother Bonnie
Mound and attorney Je Herman.
He told reporters that he had faced
backlash since last week when he
led his lawsuit against Singer, whose
X-Men: Days of e Future Past lm
will open in United States theatres
"Going through this and being
attacked, you see why victims don't
come forward. It doesn't make it a
very pleasant thing to stand up to,"
Egan said. He did urge other victims
to come forward, saying, "We have
people that can protect us now."
In the lawsuits against each
individual, Egan alleged that he was
induced or coerced into sexual activity
at "infamous and degenerate parties"
hosted by former entertainment
business executive Marc Collins-
Rector, a registered sex o ender.
Egan also alleged that the sexual
abuse continued on trips to Hawaii,
where he said he was inappropriately
touched and made to consume alcohol
and drugs, and forced into anal and
e three civil lawsuits against
Ancier, Goddard and Neuman were
led yesterday in federal court in
Hawaii. Each suit has four counts
including battery and assault,
requesting both compensatory and
Herman said they will be asking for
monetary damages over $10m, which
will be decided by a jury if the case is
admitted in court.
Egan's mother cried throughout the
half-hour news conference, saying she
tried to help her son contact the FBI
and Los Angeles police department
14 years ago to report the abuses.
"It's not about money. It's about
disarming these paedophiles who
use their wealth and power to escape
justice," she said.
Ancier, 56, previously held roles as
a top programmer at Fox and NBC,
rising the ranks to become president
of NBC Entertainment, according
to lm website IMDB.com. He has
overseen and developed programmes
such as e Cosby Show, Ricki Lake
and Home Improvement.
Goddard, 59, has worked with shows
on television according to IMDB.com,
and his company e Goddard Group
has also created attractions at theme
parks including Universal Studios,
according to the company website.
Neuman was formerly the
president of Walt Disney TV and
chief programming o cer at CNN,
according to LinkedIn, and is the
president and executive producer of
Last week, Egan led a
lawsuit against director
Singer, alleging that the
lm-maker used his
in uence as a Hollywood
insider as well as a range of
drugs and alcohol to force
anal and oral sex on Egan
while promising him lm
Singer, 48, directed 2000's
X-Men and its 2003 sequel
X2, and is also signed on to
direct the next instalment
in the franchise, X-Men:
Apocalypse, for Fox,
scheduled to be released in
Fox said in a statement
last week that the lawsuit
was a "personal matter" for
the director, adding "these are
serious allegations, and they
will be resolved in the appropriate forum." e director's lawyer, Marty
Singer, said in a statement they will
be "bringing a claim for malicious
prosecution" against Egan and his
lawyer. --- Reuters
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 9
Man claims tv executives part of gay sex ring
Boy made first distress
call from sinking ship
e rst distress call from a sinking
South Korean ferry was made by a boy
with a shaking voice, three minutes after
the vessel made its fateful last turn.
He called the emergency number
which put him through to the re
service, which in turn forwarded him to
the coastguard two minutes later. at
was followed by about 20 other calls
from children on board the ship to the
emergency number, a re service o cer
e Sewol ferry sank last week on
a routine trip south from the port of
Incheon to the traditional honeymoon
island of Jeju.
Of the 476 passengers and crew on
board, 339 were children and teachers on
a high school outing. Only 174 people
have been rescued and the remainder are
all presumed to have drowned.
e boy who made the rst call, with
the family name of Choi, is among the
missing. His voice was shaking and
sounded urgent, a re o cer told MBC
TV. It took a while to identify the ship
as the Sewol.
"Save us! We're on a ship and I think
it's sinking," Yonhap news agency quoted
him as saying.
e re service o cial asked him to
switch the phone to the captain, and the
boy replied: "Do you mean teacher?"
e pronunciation of the words for
"captain" and "teacher" is similar in
e captain of the ship, Lee Joon-
seok, 69, and other crew members have
been arrested on negligence charges.
Lee was also charged with undertaking
an "excessive change of course without
Authorities are also investigating the
Yoo family, which controls the company
that owns the ferry, Chonghaejin
Marine Co Ltd, for possible nancial
wrongdoing amid growing public
An o cial at the Financial Supervisory
Service (FSS) told Reuters it was
investigating whether Chonghaejin or
the Yoo family engaged in any illegal
foreign exchange transactions. e
o cial did not elaborate.
Another person familiar with the
matter told Reuters that prosecutors
were looking into suspected tax evasion
by the rm, its a liates or the Yoo family
with assistance from the National Tax
Service. A spokesman at the tax agency
declined to comment on the matter.
" ere are lots of reports in the media,
so as the regulator we need to check if
they are true," another FSS o cial said.
Neither the Yoo family nor the
company was immediately available for
Several crew members, including the
captain, left the ferry as it was sinking,
witnesses have said, after passengers
were told to stay in their cabins.
President Park Geun-hye said yesterday
that instruction was tantamount to an
"act of murder".
Many of the children did not
question their elders, as is customary in
hierarchical Korean society. ey paid
for their obedience with their lives.
Four crew members appeared in court
overnight and were brie y questioned by
reporters before being taken back into
custody. One unidenti ed second mate
said they had tried to reach the lifeboats,
but were unable to because of the tilt.
Only two of the vessel's 46 lifeboats
Two rst mates, one second mate and
the chief engineer stood with their heads
lowered and it was impossible to tell
who was speaking.
One said there had been a mistake as
the boat made a turn. Another said there
was an eventual order to abandon ship.
He said the crew gathered on the bridge
and tried to restore balance, but could
"Maybe the steering gear was broken,"
Media said the ship lost power for 36
seconds, which could have been a factor.
Public broadcaster KBS, quoting
transcripts of the conversation between
the crew and sea tra c control, the Jindo
Vessel Tra c Services Centre, said the
passengers were told repeatedly to stay
For half an hour, the crew on the third
deck kept asking the bridge by walkie-
talkie whether or not they should make
the order to abandon ship, KBS said.
No one answered.
"We kept trying to nd out but ... since
there was no instruction coming from
the bridge, the crew on the third oor
followed the instructions on the manual
and kept making 'stay where you are'
announcements," KBS quoted a crew
member as saying. "At least three times."
Lee was not on the bridge when the
ship turned. Navigation was in the hands
of a 26-year-old third mate who was in
charge for the rst time on that part of
the journey, according to crew members.
In a confused exchange between the
sinking Sewol and maritime tra c
control released by the government, the
crew said the ship was listing to port.
"Make passengers wear lifejackets and
get ready in case you need to abandon
ship," tra c control said.
e Sewol answered: "It's di cult for
the passengers to move now."
A spokeswoman for Oscar Pistorius says
suggestions the Paralympian took acting
lessons ahead of his emotional murder
trial testimony are "totally devoid of any
We "deny that our client has undergone
any 'acting lessons' or any form of
emotional coaching", Anneliese Burgess,
media manager for the Pistorius family,
said in a statement on his website
Pistorius broke down repeatedly in
the witness box as he gave his version of
shooting dead girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp
on Valentine's Day last year.
His vomiting and loud crying have often
disrupted proceedings, and some have
questioned his sincerity.
Well-known South African columnist
Jani Allan claimed he had been coached
for his emotional performance.
"I have it from a reliable source that you
are taking acting lessons for your days in
court. Your coach has an impossible task,"
she wrote in an open letter posted on her
website last week.
"Oscar, you are the latest in a long line
of faux heroes.
"Like so many who preceded you,
you have betrayed your people and
disappointed your fans," she added.
But the Pistorius family described her
allegations as " ctitious", saying any
"suggestion that Mr Pistorius 'took acting
classes' is totally devoid of any truth".
" is type of comment makes a mockery
of the enormous human tragedy involving
the Steenkamp family and our client and
his family," Burgess said in the statement.
Pistorius says he red four shots through
a locked cubicle door thinking Steenkamp,
a 29-year-old model, was an intruder
coming to attack him in the dead of night.
Prosecutors have argued that the
shooting came after a row in the early
His trial was postponed for the Easter
break and will restart on May 5.
Pistorius family denies he took acting classes
South Korean rescue workers travel in boats near a giant o shore crane, which will be used in the salvage operation of capsized
passenger ship Sewol which sank last Wednesday, near the site of the sinking in the sea o Jindo.
Australian authorities believe Prince
Charles is likely to attend the 100th
anniversary Anzac Day dawn service at
Gallipoli in 2015.
e Prince of Wales is expected to
join Prime Minister Tony Abbott on
the Turkish peninsula on April 25 next
year along with other Commonwealth
An o cial invitation is yet to be
sent to Buckingham Palace but the
Australian government intends to ask
a member of the royal family to attend.
e Queen is scheduled to travel
to France in June this year to mark
the 70th anniversary of the D-Day
landings at Normandy.
e palace in mid-2013 indicated
Her Majesty would be scaling back
longer overseas ights.
Gallipoli ser vices director Tim Evans
said that was signi cant.
"I also understand that if approached
the royal family would like to send a
very senior member of the royal family,
so you can draw your own conclusions,"
Mr Evans said.
"Prince Charles would be a very
welcome nominee, but the decision is
for the palace."
e Department of Veterans' A airs
o cial added: "In 2005, for the 90th
(anniversary), it was the Prince of
Wales (who attended)."
Prince Charles has a strong
connection with Australia having
been a student at Geelong Grammar
and subsequently visiting more than a
Mr Abbott is expected to be joined
in Gallipoli in 2015 by New Zealand
Canada and Ireland could also
send heads of state while France is
considering its options. Some 8700
Australians died during the eight-
month Gallipoli campaign in 1915,
while more than 2700 New Zealanders
were killed. It is estimated up to 87,000
Turks lost their lives.
Prince William and his wife Kate
will attend the Anzac Day parade in
Canberra this Friday at the end of their
three-week royal tour Down Under.
Prince Charles may attend 100th anniversary Gallipoli service
A United Kingdom
man who swallowed a
live gold sh as part of a
on-line drinking dare has
been ned $544.
e RSPCA says Gavin
Hope was taken to court
after he drank a glass of
water with the sh in
it for a Neknomination
challenge, and footage of
the stunt was posted on
RSPCA chief inspector
Michelle Charlton said
the video rst shows the
a pint glass with lager,
chilli, tequila, a fresh
egg and sh food before
revealing why the sh
food is going in.
"He picks up another
glass containing a small
amount of water and
the gold sh, which is
swimming around, and
shows it to the camera
before drinking it down,
and following it with the
pint," she said.
"A vet report advised
that the stomach
would be a completely
unsuitable place for a
gold sh and that the sh
would have died in time,
the cause of death being
a mixture of su ocation
and acid ph levels in the
stomach, as well as the
alcohol he drank."
e society said that
Hope told them that he
had owned the gold sh
for a couple of months.
He said he thought
it was ill as it kept
swimming into the sides
of its tank and he was
going to ush it down
the toilet but decided
to drink it as part of his
Hope pleaded guilty
to an o ence under the
Animal Welfare Act ---
that he failed to meet the
needs of a gold sh by
failing to protect it from
pain, su ering, injury or
disease by drinking it.
acts like an on-line
mail. is reported to have
originated in Western
Australia. --- PA
launched an emergency
operation to prevent a
stricken tanker from
unleashing 10,000 cubic
metres of crude oil into
Emerald Sea o the
country's north coast.
of Madagascar's port
authority said specialist
teams are being own
to the Indian Ocean
island after the
Bahamian- agged ship
Tromso ran aground last
e 120m vessel has
bust one of its two hulls,
according to Sambalis.
" e ship's owners have
chartered an aircraft from
South Africa to send
a specialised team and
equipment," he said.
It is hoped that the
crude can be pumped out
of the Tromso and into a
ship that is arriving from
Sambalis said the ship
ran aground because of
Tourists at the resort
town of Ramena ---
packed for the Easter
holidays --- looked on
as the boat oundered
around 2km o the coast.
Nepalese guides on Mount Everest say they
are packing up and leaving the mountain
after a meeting at which they decided to
abandon this year's climbing season to
honour colleagues killed in an avalanche.
"We had a long meeting this afternoon and
we decided to stop our climbing this year to
honour our fallen brothers. All sherpas are
united in this," local guide, Tulsi Gurung,
told AFP from base camp yesterday.
"Some guides have already left and others
will take about a week to pack up everything
and go," said Gurung, whose brother is among
those missing after an avalanche killed 13
sherpas and left three buried in deep snow.
Another sherpa guide, Pasang Sherpa,
added: "Sixteen people have died on this
mountain on the rst day of our climb, how
can we step on it now?"
e guides had threatened to cancel all
climbing on Mount Everest and issued an
ultimatum to the government, demanding
higher compensation, an agreement to revise
insurance payments and a welfare fund by
e decision to abandon the season
appeared to pre-empt the outcome of talks
which are under way in Kathmandu. High-
pro le western mountaineers left base camp
for the capital overnight to seek a resolution
to the crisis.
" ey have decided that compensation is
not the only issue, they feel like they have to
close down Everest this year as a memorial
to those who died," said Ed Marzec, an
American climber, who spoke to AFP from
Sherpas earn between $3488 to $6977 a
season, but their insurance cover is almost
always inadequate when accidents happen.
More than 300 people, most of them local
guides, have died on the 8848-metre peak
since the rst ascent by Edmund Hillary and
Tenzing Norgay in 1953. --- AFP
oil spill from ship
Everest sherpas pack it in for season
Sri Lanka has detained a British tourist for
having a Buddha tattoo on her right arm and
ordered her deportation.
e unidenti ed woman was arrested at the
country's main international airport yesterday
and appeared before a magistrate who ordered
her deportation, police said in a statement.
She has an image of the Buddha seated on a
lotus ower tattooed on her right arm.
"She was taken before the Negombo
magistrate who ordered her to be detained
prior to deportation," it said, adding that she
was arrested shortly after her arrival on a ight
from neighbouring India.
It did not say what charges were brought
against her, but Sri Lanka barred another
British tourist from entering the island in
March last year for showing "disrespect" to
Buddhism by having a Buddha tattooed on
Sri Lanka, a majority Buddhist nation, is
highly sensitive to perceived threats to the
religion. --- AFP
Sri Lanka detains tourist over Buddha tattoo
Links Archive April 22nd 2014 April 24th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page