Home' Greymouth Star : April 30th 2014 Contents 3
Old cast back for
new Star Wars
Elvis a hit —
60 years ago
$1 (Home Delivery 75c)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 30, 2014
Est. 1866 Phone 769 7900
An off-duty Greymouth police
sergeant who crashed his vehicle
into a fence near Punakaiki as he
was returning from competing
in the Buller half-marathon on
February 8, pleaded guilty to
careless driving, when he appeared
in the Auckland District Court
yesterday. Matthew Charles Frost
will appear in the Auckland court
again tomorrow for sentencing,
which was delayed because police
files had not been transferred from
Greymouth to Auckland in time.
Frost told the judge he was in
Auckland for a week to visit family.
He represented himself in court.
West Coast police area commander
Inspector John Canning said he was
unable to comment on the matter,
other than to say an employment
investigation into the crash was
DOC hut refunds
due to closures
The Department of Conservation
said today it would refund trampers
their hut fees after the devastating
windstorm forced the closure of
walking tracks Coastwide. DOC
staff are working to clear trees and
slips on storm-damaged tracks,
including the Heaphy and Copland.
“ We will work to reopen other
affected tracks as soon as we can but,
in some cases, it may take longer
to bring them up to their usual
standard,” ser vices director for the
north and western South Island,
Mike Slater, said.
The flood that scoured out part of
the former Reefton rubbish dump
has so far cost the Buller District
Council $150,000. A report to the
council meeting today says further
expenditure is to be expected. The
Inangahua River eroded the dump
last year, scattering rubbish for miles
Fine, high cloud, light winds
An Australian passenger mistook
the cockpit door for the toilet,
triggering Friday’s hijack scare
on a Virgin Australia flight from
Brisbane to the Indonesian holiday
island of Bali, police said. Matt
Lockley told Bali police after his
arrest that he banged on what he
thought was the toilet door for a
last-minute bathroom break before
the Boeing 737-800 aircraft landed.
‘Goldrush’, month-long celebration to mark Greymouth 150th
A potential month’s worth of
events to mark Greymouth’s 150th
anniversary will begin on September
27 with a gold treasure hunt.
The actual sesquicentennial falls on
150 years after pioneer
storekeeper Reuben Waite set up
shop on the site now occupied by
Grey District Council working
group member Ali Grooby suggested
at a meeting yesterday starting the
celebrations in mid-August, to
provide more time to organise a
festival of different events.
Grey District Mayor
Kokshoorn said it would be easier
to attract people from places such as
Canterbury if the treasure hunt —
proposed for Karoro beach — was
held during the school break. “A lot
of school kids would want to come
over and have a dig,” he said.
The working group decided to start
the gold hunt on the first day of the
September school holidays.
That will coincide with the 100th
Greymouth Competitions Society
Festival of Dance at the Regent
Theatre, to take advantage of the
influx of visitors in town for the
The gold hunt will take place on the
beach between Watsons Creek and
the Suburbs Rugby League ground.
Gold-painted stones will be buried
and the finders will redeem them for
the real thing. Mr Kokshoorn has said
previously that a minimum of 3oz of
gold in 1oz lots will be available.
The working group also discussed
encouraging businesses to put
up window displays of how their
building had been used in the past.
A historic cemetery talk and tour,
a showing of old 35mm film of the
town, and a fireworks display were
also suggested as potential ideas for
However, Mr Kokshoorn said the
goldrush day would be the main
event used to market the celebrations.
He was confident of the council
putting about $30,000 toward the
events. The group also discussed
potentially charging people a gold
coin donation to take part in the hunt.
Ms Grooby also mentioned a street
parade featuring people dressed in
costumes celebrating momentous
decades in Greymouth history,
and possibly ending a fortnight of
celebrations with a mini whitebait
festival in October.
Government will spend more than
$60 million on a new Greymouth
Hospital after a leaked report showed
ser vices would have to be cut drastically
to bring it in on budget.
A confidential report released to the
Greymouth Star yesterday revealed that
for $60m, the new hospital would have
only 36 beds, not 62. Some surgery
would go, food cooked off site and
some staff moved into low cost sheds.
The document was dated March 31,
However, Mr Ryall’s office said today
a clerical error put the wrong date on
the report, and it was actually published
in November, 2013.
The March date was put on it when
it was reprinted for release to the
In a statement, Mr Ryall said “the
new Grey Base Hospital will have a
pricetag over $60m and will provide
West Coasters with one of the best
hospitals in the country”.
“ We’re not spending multi-millions
on a new hospital to have worse
ser vices — and West Coasters should
be confident in that obvious logic,” Mr
“I will be taking the plans for the new
Grey Base Hospital to Cabinet for sign
off in the coming weeks.”
The doctors’ union, the Association of
Salaried Medical Specialists, said today
the release of the document with the
wrong date was “a massive stuff up by
the National Health Board”.
“It has caused immense confusion and
further undermining of trust towards
the NHB and Government. The NHB
does not have egg dripping down
its face; instead its face is saturated
with runny egg. I suspect the Health
Minister will be furious with the NHB. ”
Former long-standing Minister of
Health, Labour’s Annette King, said
today it was time for Coasters to know
what they could get for $60m — or
more importantly what they could not
The Coast was promised a $60m
hospital, similar to Whakatane, but
that hospital opened four years ago and
with inflation, $60m would not buy as
much, Mrs King said.
“People need to wake up and get on
their feet. You deser ve the same ser vices
people get in other areas.”
She asked if the West Coast was
losing out because the seat was not held
by a National MP.
West Coast-Tasman MP Damien
O’Connor said that after consultation
with clinicians and the West Coast
District Health Board, $76 or $78m
had been requested for the new hospital.
He said there was a “big gap” between
the two figures and it was time for the
minister to answer questions: “Are we
going to get the same level of health
ser vices on the West Coast?”
Marjorie Kiely has seen three popes, five
bishops and eight parish priests in her 31 years
as principal’s assistant at John Paul II High
She has also seen 119 staff come and go, been
to the Post Office 6740 times, watched 12,000
students undertake their secondary education
at the West Coast ’s only Catholic secondary
school, and worked for seven principals, starting
with Sister Anne Fennell and finishing with the
current principal, Keiran Stone.
Mrs Kiely took up the position in 1983,
the same year John Paul II High School was
integrated, and three years after St Mary’s
High School and the Marist Brothers’ School
She has watched many students succeed in
their careers: “So many have done so well over
the years, there are too many to list.”
For three decades Mrs Kiely has been the first
port of call for every student who walks through
the doors of John Paul II.
“I’m known as the school grandmother, the
uniform police and the witch,” she smiled.
The special character of the school -- its
Catholic faith -- had played a special part in the
development of the students, both academically
and personally, but she had also made some
“ wonderful” collegial contacts at Greymouth
High School and Tai Poutini Polytechnic —
“ liaising with other schools has been great ”.
After re-marrying two years ago, Mrs Kiely
said she began thinking about moving on.
After packing up her desk yesterday, she said
she was going to relax, buy a bike, take walks
and catch up with friends and relatives she had
not seen for a while.
PICTURE: Viv Logie
School’s out for Marjorie Kiely after 31 years as the principal’s assistant at John Paul II High School.
Want a free Samsung Galaxy S5
smartphone without the $1049
pricetag? You bet!
To celebrate the launch of Galaxy
S5, the Greymouth Star has a
phone to give away to one of our
As well as this, anyone who
purchases a Samsung Galaxy S5
from a Vodafone store or
on-line between April 11 and
May 11 can enter a Vodafone draw
for $100,000 worth of gold. Simply
register on-line at
pick a spot in one of Vodafone’s
37 4G-coverage locations around
Vodafone is also offering a
Galaxy S5 for $0 on the Red $129
plan with a 24-month term.
To enter our draw for a free
phone, send your name, address
and phone number to: Samsung
Giveaway, C/o Greymouth Star,
PO Box 3, Greymouth, or e-mail
with Samsung in the subject line.
Strictly one entry per household.
Entries close on May 9.
Win a Samsung Galaxy
Three popes, 12,000 students ...
Ryall: more than $60m
105 Mackay Street
Phone 768 5799
34 Hamilton Street
Phone 755 8589
12 Herbert Street, Greymouth | Phone: 768 0822
Sales A/hrs: Alastair Hamilton 768 7300 | www.coast.toyota.co.nz
Pricing over 60 months,
weekly at 12.5% with a
$350 booking fee. Normal
terms and conditions apply.
Check out these fantastic Signature Class Vehicles
2009 COROLLA GX
1.8L VVTi, 4 speed, automatic
DEPOSIT:$3150 WEEKLY PAYMENT:$94.06
2012 Camry Sedan
2.5L VVTi, 6 speed, automatic
DEPOSIT:$5548 WEEKLY PAYMENT:$165.35
2010 Landcruiser prado gx suv
3.0L D4D, Turbo Diesel, 5 speed, automatic, 7 seater
DEPOSIT:$7950 WEEKLY PAYMENT:$236.90
Links Archive April 29th 2014 01-May-2014 Navigation Next Page