Home' Greymouth Star : May 3rd 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Saturday, May 3, 2014
Artist Les Holmes talks about his new mural which was unveiled yesterday outside the Runanga antiques store to celebrate May Day.
The mural honours three of Runanga’s Kiwi rugby league players — George Menzies, Reese Griffiths and Bernard Green — and
representatives of the three families attended the opening to cut a ribbon over their section. Holmes said he was inspired by the
achievements of the Runanga heroes. “It is celebrating our guys, from Runanga the ‘home of champions’.” Holmes also has an art
exhibition set up in the shop across the road from the Miners’ Hall, which was closed last month after suffering extensive damage to the
roof and rain damage inside.
PICTURE: Nicholas McBride
Ar tist honours league players
Aimee Brill and Lee Scanlon
of the Westport News
The Easter storm has cost the Buller
District Council about $677,500, of which it
will have to fund around $460,000, says an
About $325,000 to restore parks and
reser ves would come from the council’s
reser ve contributions fund, leaving a $135,000
shortfall plus insurance excess, the report said.
Council operations manager Steve Griffin
told the monthly council meeting some costs
would reduce with labour help from the army.
The Westport Domain had the highest
damage cost of about $100,000.
His report estimated Victoria Square and
Rayner Park damage at $50,000 each.
He estimated the clean-up of tree debris
on roads would cost $190,000, including
$100,000 for the Karamea highway.
“ It ’s quite horrific looking at some of the
photos of the amount of tree damage on the
road but what ’s even more disconcerting now
is some of those areas have been completely
denuded,” Mr Griffin said. As a result, they
would be susceptible to slips in heavy rain.
New Zealand Transport Agency funding
would cover $150,000 of the roading cost,
leaving council to source $40,000.
Wind storm costs mount in Buller
of the Westport News
West Coast-Tasman MP Damien
O’Connor says he cannot recall
why, when he was Immigration
Minister, he allowed Chinese
businessman Donghua Liu into
New Zealand against the advice of
Liu is now associated with
the downfall of former minister
Maurice Williamson who was
forced to resign his portfolios on
Thursday after it emerged he called
high-level police officers about an
investigation into Liu.
Mr O’Connor said yesterday that
when he was immigration minister
he dealt with about 4500 cases
a year officials had turned down,
and overturned many of them. He
could not recall the Liu case at all.
Liu was arrested in December last
year following a domestic violence
incident with his partner and her
mother at Auckland’s Boulevard
Hotel, which Liu owns.
He pleaded guilty to the two
charges on April 1 and was released
Mr O’Connor said he did not
regret letting Liu into the country.
“ In all those cases you make your
decision based on the information
in front of you and move on.
Because there are so many of them,
it ’s only the exceptional ones you
recall and quite frankly this wasn’t
one of them.”
Williamson crossed the line when
he rang police about the Liu case.
“It’s not protocol, it’s not proper.
I think every politician is aware
of the sensitivity around it and
respects that The Prime Minister
has made the judgment on this one
and I don’t think he’s wrong.”
Mr O’Connor said he could
not recall ever contacting police
himself about individuals facing
“But I’ve rung police for general
policy decisions. I’ve discussed with
police how they make general calls
on who to prosecute and who not
to, in reference to — I think it was
a tourist driving incident.
“But I certainly haven’t done it for
anyone I know or had the details of
the case. ”
He said it was Mr Williamson’s
call whether he resigned as an MP.
Mr Williamson also lobbied for
Liu when Liu sought to become
a New Zealand citizen. Then-
immigration minister Nathan
Guy subsequently approved Liu’s
citizenship, against official advice.
Liu has since reportedly donated
$22,000 to the National Party.
O’Connor can’t recall Liu file
Monteith’s craft beers and ciders are
making a splash overseas with a 14%
increase in export sales predicted for
the 2014 year, owner DB Breweries
In a market where there is heavy
competition domestically and even
more so internationally, DB managing
director Andy Routley said it was great
to have started to crack the overseas
“It’s difficult to grow beer and cider
brands in competitive markets,” Mr
“ We’re very delighted that Monteith’s
is growing so well and we’ve been
able to find that clever mix between
building a brand in its home market,
New Zealand, and exporting its beers
and ciders internationally as well.”
DB predicted the equivalent of 15
million bottles, or five million litres of
Monteith’s beer and cider, would leave
New Zealand for overseas this year,
however, this is still relatively small in
comparison with New Zealand’s well-
established wine export industry and
the overall beer market.
Wine exports exceeded $1.3 billion
annually for the first time in March and
the total volume of beer available for
consumption was 285.8 million litres
in the year ended September 2013,
according to Statistics New Zealand.
DB Breweries is fully owned by
Dutch company Heineken, after it
bought DB’s former parent company
Asia Pacific Breweries in 2012.
Monteith’s main export market is
Australia, but Mr Routley said the
association with Heineken has helped
to further expand the brand, with
distribution channels opening up in
“This year, the step change for us is
being able to leverage Heineken and
the relationships and the reach that
has, because it ’s enabling Monteith’s to
reach a new level in terms of its export
potential,” Mr Routley said.
Monteith’s success internationally has
seen it lift into the top 10 beers, and the
top five ciders in Australia.
Mr Routley attributes the success to
having a great product but he also says
the view of New Zealand internationally
has helped, something competitor Lion
New Zealand agrees with.
“ From our consumer research in the
UK and the US, the two big things
which came up were that New Zealand
is great because of the purity of its
ingredients and also because people
view New Zealand as an adventure
capital of the world, and that rubs off
on to our products a bit,” says Lion
international and craft director Danny
According to Mr Phillips, craft beer
was seen in the industry as having huge
potential overseas, with a number of
craft breweries doing well globally.
Despite the success, Routley is quick
to note that DB will not be relaxing any
“ We’re delighted with the success of
the (Monteith’s) brand but there’s no
complacency. This is a very competitive
category and we know consumers
have a choice, so our job is to ensure
we continually develop something
consumers want to drink.”
Monteith’s beer and cider exports will
make up 30% of the total Monteith’s
volume this year.
beers sales rise 14%
Qualified FD Since 1973
The engagement is
Neville Earl, eldest son
of Mr Earl Charles and
Mrs Thelma Agnes
Murdoch, of Invercargill
daughter of Mr Ernest
Michael (Mick) and
Mrs Elva Elizabeth
Prendergast of Grey
and KP appreciate the
kind messages arriving
from family, friends and
KERSTEN - COLL. —
John and Toni are happy
to announce the engage-
ment of Jesse to Nathan
Coll, son of Matt and
My life, my funeral
At some time in life
you will go through a
Make the decisions
around this difficult
time easier for your
Make them for
This FREE easy
to follow pack is
available for YOU.
Visit or call us for
your “My Life,
My Funeral” Pack.
134 Tainui Street,
Phone 768 0250
FRENCH - HEALEY.
Derek and Ellen of
with Owen of Clyde,
and Marianne and Elrick
thrilled to announce the
engagement of Nerine
and Mark on April 21,
and very best wishes for
a happy future together.
Love from both families.
Thursday May 1, 2014,
Unit, Greymouth. In his
year. Loved and
Margaret, loved father
and father-in-law of
Diane and Basil Ford
and David Leggoe,
cherished Pop of Nicola,
Dean, Kylie, Brad and
Michael, Great-Pop of
Faith, Tyler, Brodie
brother and brother-in-
law of Daphne and
Edgar Langdon (both
deceased), Richard and
ceased), and Natalie,
Thelma Tasker (de-
ceased) and George and
Elaine McFarlane, and a
loved uncle and friend
Messages to 134 Living-
stone Street, Hokitika
7810. A Funeral Service
for Stan will be held at
Saint Andrews United
Street, Hokitika, on
T uesday May 6,
commencing at 1pm.
Following the service
Stan will be laid to rest
in the Lawn Section of
the Hokitika Cemetery.
FDANZ. Phone (03)
We loved you yesterday
We love you still
We always have and
Margaret, Paul, Jolene,
Jamie, Laurie, Brody,
Jesse and families would
like to thank everyone
for the love, kindness,
support, flowers, baking
and cards we received
during the tragic loss of
our dearly loved Barry.
To all staff at Mount
Hutt our heartfelt thanks
goes out to you all for
attending to Barry on the
morning of his tragic
accident. To Caroline
and Grant Hood, there
are no words that we can
say about the com-
passion you showed our
family on that fateful
morning; it would not
have been easy for the
both of you. To the
Methven Fire Brigade
and Police we will be
forever grateful. To our
families and friends
thank you for your love
and ongoing support. To
everyone who came to
say goodbye to Barry,
including his workmates
for their Guard of
Honour, thank you.
Please accept this as our
ment to you all. We will
never be the same as
before our loss, but we
are ever so much better
for having Barry in our
lives. Barry, Dad and
Grandad will forever be
in our hearts.
A Reefton man has admitted
threatening to strangle a police officer
with his handcuffs.
Kyle Phillip Tredennick, 25, had
originally planned to defend charges
relating to the incident but lawyer
Doug Taffs told the Westport District
Court on Thursday his client had “seen
the light on the road to Damascus”.
Tredennick pleaded guilty to charges
of threatening to kill, disorderly
behaviour and resisting police.
Police prosecutor Steven Greer said
Tredennick was socialising at Wilsons
Hotel in Reefton on December 21.
Local police constables visited the
hotel and saw an intoxicated female
there and went to escort her home.
Tredennick jumped the fence of the
hotel and chased the police car. The
car stopped and Tredennick went to
its window and started yelling abuse.
Police asked him to move away from
the car but he continued to yell and
swear at them and tell them they were
not taking her away.
A constable got out of the car
and Tredennick approached him
aggressively. After warning him, the
constable pepper sprayed Tredennick,
handcuffed him and put him in the
Tredennick threatened to wrap the
handcuffs around the constable’s neck
and strangle him. He also threatened
to stab the officer once he was released
and said the officer’s life in Reefton
would not be worth living.
Defending, Mr Taffs agreed with
Judge Noel Walsh that the offending
had been the result of “too much fire
Mr Taffs said that while Tredennick
could not recall talking about stabbing
anybody, he accepted he had acted
inappropriately and he’d have to
accept the evidence that the two sober
police officers would give.
He recalled telling the officer “you’re
finished in this town”.
Mr Taffs said Tredennick had come
to the attention of the constable in
Reefton and the constable’s attention
had been consistent.
youth and “too
much fire water” had led to a testy
Tredenick now knew Reefton was
not a good place for him until he
was more mature. He had moved to
Judge Walsh said Tredennick had
vacated not guilty pleas to the three
charges, which he had originally
intended to defend on the basis that he
couldn’t recall talking about stabbing
anyone. On the three charges he
convicted Tredennick and sentenced
him to 160 hours of community work.
Reefton man admits trying to strangle officer with handcuffs
Judith Collins’s staff sought a briefing
from Ministry of Foreign Affairs staff
ahead of the ‘private’ dinner she had
with Oravida bosses and an unnamed
Chinese border control official in
Beijing last year.
Ms Collins has faced claims of a
conflict of interest over the dinner
given Oravida had previously
sought Government inter vention
to overcome problems in getting its
products into China, her husband
ser ves on the company’s board, and it
has made substantial donations to the
In March, Ms Collins acknowledged
she was wrong not to tell Prime
Minister John Key and the public
of the dinner earlier and that in
hindsight she should have treated it
as part of the official business of the
trip, and ensured it was disclosed in a
Cabinet report on the trip.
More recently in the face of ongoing
Opposition attacks, she has refused to
answer questions in Parliament over
the dinner saying it was private and
she had no ministerial responsibility
However, documents released by
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and
Trade this afternoon show that ahead
of her October 2013 visit to China
Ms Collins’s staff sought a briefing
from Mfat staff in the week before the
October 20 dinner.
“ We will require a briefing for the
dinner”, an unnamed staffer told two
of Mfat ’s Northern Asia Division
personnel on October 15.
An Mfat staff later notes in an
e-mail to Beijing that Ms Collins’s
office had changed its mind about the
briefing, saying: “Nothing from Mfat
is required. The Minister is having a
private dinner on the Sunday evening.”
E-mail exchanges between Ms
Collins and Mfat staff show she
wanted New Zealand Ambassador
to Beijing Carl Worker to attend the
Mr Worker is shown asking whether
an unnamed person, likely to be the
Chinese official would be attending
“the private dinner”.
He was later told by an Mfat staffer
that “your attendance is not expected
Labour MP Grant Robertson said,
“ it was clearly a dinner with an official
of sufficient standing that she believed
it required a ministerial briefing”.
“I also note the comment that
the official had ‘agreed to meet the
“That clearly implies this was
something that was being driven by
the minister and Oravida.”
“ Judith Collins has tried to present
this as a casual dinner with the friend
of a friend. It was far from that.
“ It was a dinner organised well in
advance with an official who’d been
asked to be there. That is not a private
NZ First leader Winston Peters said
it was “difficult to conceive of an event
that could be less official than one to
which the New Zealand ambassador
“ Did Minister Collins want the
ambassador at this dinner to impress
a senior Chinese border official with
how extensive milk company Oravida’s
‘pull’ was with the New Zealand
Government?” Mr Peters asked.
Ms Collins said her office “routinely
asks for briefings for everything, even
New Zealand Herald
Collins sought briefing before ‘private’ Oravida dinner
This winter is shaping up to be easier on the
electric bill, with scientists predicting average
or above-average temperatures for much of
the country over coming months.
Niwa’s latest climate outlook for the next
three months, also suggests an El Nino
climate system could arrive at the tail end of
The report predicts that from May to July,
temperatures are likely to be above average for
the east of the North Island, average for the
west of the South Island and either average or
above average everywhere else.
The cheerful outlook has been put down to
sea surface temperatures being warmer for 16
That is the result of neutral conditions in
the equatorial Pacific Ocean that are
expected to continue for the next three
While cold snaps, frosts and snow in
alpine areas could still be expected, below-
average temperatures were predicted to be
the least likeliest outcome for all regions of
New Zealand, Niwa meteorologist Chris
“Certainly it’s possible it could be colder,
but if you’re a betting man, you wouldn’t be
betting on colder than average temperatures
Hard on the heels of winter, however, is a
forecast El Nino that some have predicted
could linger for the rest of the year and
Of the 14 models Niwa monitors, 11 are
predicting El Nino conditions over August to
In New Zealand, the ocean-driven system
typically brings cooler, wetter conditions,
bringing higher rainfall to regions that are
normally wet, and often drought to areas that
are usually dry.
Mr Brandolino said an El Nino this year
might mean stronger and more frequent
southerlies, with more rainfall on the West
Coast and less on the east.
While farmers have been encouraged to
plan ahead, Mr Brandolino said an El Nino
might not be bad for some farmers.
New Zealand Herald
Cheaper winter power bills possible
A man mowed down and injured at
least 15 cows with his car — killing
one — while trying to evade police, a
court has heard.
Scott John Henry, 45, of Tokoroa,
was sentenced in the Rotorua District
Court yesterday to three years’ prison
on a raft of charges committed between
September 2012 and January this year.
The charges included recklessly ill
treating animals, unlawful possession
of firearms and ammunition, dangerous
driving, driving while disqualified,
failing to stop for police, possession
of cannabis, methamphetamine and
LSD, unlawful hunting, cultivation of
cannabis and trespassing.
Judge Phillip Cooper said the
most serious offending happened on
December 12, 2012.
Henry was driving on State highway
1 near Lichfield when police tried to
pull him over.
He sped away, driving erratically,
including taking blind corners on the
wrong side of the road.
“The situation became so dangerous
(police) disengaged from the pursuit,”
the judge said.
Henry then turned on to a farm track
toward a shed and yard where milking
was taking place. He rammed through
metal gates and knocked down “at least
10 cows”, the judge said.
“ He drove over some that wouldn’t or
couldn’t get out of the way,” he said.
Some of the cows ended up upside
down in feeding troughs, he said.
One cow had to be destroyed and at
least 15 were injured, two permanently.
Henry then drove through another
farm gate and electric fences to escape.
Judge Cooper said Henry’s behaviour
across all the offending could be
characterised as “ larrikin and cowboy ”.
“ You were completely out of control
and showing no regard whatsoever for
the safety of the public,” he said. “It’s
really a miracle you didn’t kill yourself
or someone else. ”
In reaching the end sentence, Judge
Cooper took into account Henry’s
offer to pay reparation of $4000 to the
farmer for vet ’s fees and damage to the
property. Henry’s lawyer, Andy Schulze,
confirmed a cheque had been handed
over for that amount.
Henry was also disqualified for
driving for three years and an order
was made for the forfeiture of firearms,
ammunition and other property seized
APNZ-Rotorua Daily Post
Man mows down 15 cows
Links Archive May 2nd 2014 May 5th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page