Home' Greymouth Star : May 8th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Thursday, May 8, 2014
A Hokitika teenager was arrested
overnight and charged with
receiving stolen property. Police said
the 17-year-old was to appear in the
Greymouth District court before a
registrar today to be bailed to the
next formal court session.
The winners of the Greymouth
Star and Crayola colouring in
competition are Natasha Lee,
of Kumara Junction, Charlotte
Jamieson, of Runanga, and Summer
and Pippa Fahey, of Greymouth.
They each receive a Crayola Colour
Wonder pack, which comes with
a range of special markers with
a unique ink that will not colour
on skin, fabric or carpets. Colour
Wonder packs each contain 18
pages of hidden designs from
popular cartoons and movies,
that ‘magically’ appear as children
colour in with the Colour Wonder
Arrivals: Jay Elaine. In port:
Jay Elaine, Tainui, Christina,
Electra, Garraway, Happy V,
Tawera, Aquila, 25 other vessels.
Expected departures: Jay Elaine,
tomorrow. Expected arrivals:
Moon Shadow II, tomorrow;
Galatea II, Monday; Cook
Canyon, Tuesday; Ocean Odyssey,
A man initially charged with taking part
in an aggravated robbery had his charges
reduced in the Greymouth District Court
yesterday to one of assault with intent to
Owen Anthony Jackson, 26, of Kumara
initially faced three counts of aggravated
robbery but prosecutor, Steven Greer said
police had been unable to identify five
others involved in the attack on a car driver
and theft of his vehicle so those charges
would be withdrawn.
Jackson was then sentenced to 120 hours
of community work.
Mr Greer told the court that Jackson’s
victim had been in the back passenger seat
of a car parked at the BP Ser vice Station at
6pm on June 30.
He had been one of six men that arrived
on the scene in another car, Jackson getting
out and joining his victim in the rear of the
The Honda was then driven to a secluded
gravel car park near the Blaketown tiphead
where it was joined soon after by the other
When a man left the second car and
attacked the driver of the Honda, Jackson
attacked the other man, punching him in
the head about 10 times.
Both men from the Honda ran off while
another man from the second car got
behind the wheel and drove it away. The
Honda was found burnt out in a rural area
the following day.
Jackson who was identified as one of
the offenders by fingerprints in the car,
admitted that he was there but offered no
other explanation to police.
Lawyer, Tony Garrett, said that Jackson,
a recent import from Christchurch, had no
idea who the other men were. He punched
the man in the car, only three times,
because he had hit him first. Jackson had
given up drugs and now had a permanent
job on a fishing boat.
A Greymouth woman, Tania Bersanetti,
yesterday when police withdrew an assault
charge on the eve of a defended hearing.
Bersanetti, 41, initially also faced charges
of trespass and assaulting a police officer,
but prosecutor Steven Greer withdrew
them leaving one remaining charge, of
assaulting a woman, that Bersanetti was to
After discussions in the judge’s chambers,
Mr Greer then withdrew the third charge
saying that Bersanetti had already spent
time in the cells and it was not in the public
interest to continue with the prosecution.
A Hokitika man who flogged an IHC
honesty box had his sentencing deferred
until May 27. Elton James Williams, 35,
was to be sentenced yesterday but lawyer,
Richard Bodle sought an adjournment
because Williams would be appearing on
other community corrections charges that
day and it was appropriate that all matters
be dealt with at the same time.
On February 13 Williams took the
donation box from the bar of the Railway
Hotel, having hidden it under a sweatshirt
which he had draped over the box.
He broke open the box in the toilets to
obtain about $40 in cash, which he spent
in the bar.
Williams has not been complying with
his current community detention sentence
and was committing other offences despite
it. Community Corrections is asking for a
An intoxicated Haast man’s explanation
for refusing to comply with breath or blood-
alcohol tests at 11pm on October 28 was
that he already knew he was over the limit.
Grant David Sadler, 52, was then charged
with refusing to supply a blood sample
bringing his tally of drink-driving offences
Judge Gary MacAskill yesterday remanded
Sadler on bail for sentencing on June 3,
saying that he would be looking at a term
of home detention, but police were also
seeking confiscation of his Holden Rodeo
As conditions of bail Sadler, who was
given special permission to drive back to
Haast, was to surrender his licence to the
local constable yesterday afternoon and is
banned from driving.
The court heard that a patrol car tried to
flag down Sadler’s vehicle on the Jackson
Bay Road but he ignored the siren and
flashing lights for 2km before stopping.
When he got out of the car he was unsteady
on his feet and slurred his words while
telling police that he had consumed 12 to
Aggravated robbery charge
reduced to assault
Thursday May 8
Urgent Cases Only
Phone 769 9300 first
Grey Medical Centre
While you, dear mother,
rest and sleep,
Your loving memory will
Bill, Kaye, Jill,
David, Christine, Leigh
Treasured memories of
a loved sister
Colleen and Kelvin.
with family on May 4,
2014, aged 80 years, at
Tauranga. Wife of the
late Peter. Dearly loved
mother and mother-in-
law of Christopher and
Angeles, Marguerita and
Claude and Charles.
L oved Nana
Aleksandar, Luka and
Lydia. Beloved sister
of the late Nancye
O'Sullivan and Charles.
Forever in our Hearts
A Requiem Mass will be
celebrated at St Mary
Tauranga on Friday May
9, 2014 at 1.30pm.
followed by interment at
Pyes Pa Cemetery. All
messages to the Hunt
family, C/- PO Box 650,
family would like to
thank friends and neigh-
bours for their sincere
messages, cards, baking,
etc. I would also like to
thank the Hokitika
District Nurses, the
doctors and staff at the
High Street Medical
Centre, and David,
Janette and Tim for their
personal care during our
sad time. A special
thank you to Lionel, our
neighbour, who assisted
me and my dear husband
at the end.
Age is but a number,
But love lasts forever.
Army personnel from Burnham Military Camp were picking up deadwood in Westport on Monday as they helped to clean up some
of the damage from the windstorm that hit the West Coast late last month. Army personnel have been on the West Coast since April
24, working in Whataroa and Westport where they helped clear the Buller bridge, clear street debris and in Karamea where they
helped clear land.
PICTURE: Sean Spivey
Army helps with storm clean-up
of the Westport News
The Coal Town Museum/i-Site
cultural hub is in financial trouble less
than a year after opening amid promises
the move to central Westport would
boost patronage and cut costs.
The Buller District Council has agreed
to suspend the rest of this year’s rental
and is considering what to do about
The museum/i-Site pays $67,000 a
year in rent and receives a $114,000
annual subsidy from ratepayers.
Manager Chris Hartigan said
yesterday that the facility would
probably have to close if it could not
obtain more financial relief.
Mr Hartigan and Coal Town Trust
chairwoman Gail Howard met the
council behind closed doors last week
after Deputy Mayor Graeme Neylon
tried unsuccessfully to hold the
discussion in public.
Subsequent inquiries from the
Westport News prompted a media
release from Mrs Howard yesterday
which reveals Coal Town’s initial
budgets relied on wrong information.
The release said Coal Town had also
found itself operating in a “challenging
The museum/i-Site had asked council
for relief from its rental commitments
and would make a submission to
council’s draft annual plan.
Mrs Howard said Coal Town had
traditionally been 30% public funded
and 70% commercially funded, which
was good for ratepayers. Many other
museums were funded 90% by the
Responding to questions,
Hartigan said the new facility had lost
about $10,000 since opening. The loss
was expected to reach $13,000 by the
end of June.
“The problem it creates is a lack of
cashflow to be able to operate over the
winter period. D uring the construction
period, while the museum was closed,
we used the cash reserves we had and so
have nothing to fall back on.”
Retail sales had dropped 29% last year,
but year-to-date were up 86% on last
year and 25% on two years ago.
If the museum had to close, its assets
would transfer to the council and the
reliance on ratepayer funds would
increase, Mr Hartigan said.
Mr Neylon was a vociferous opponent
of the $3.5 million Coal Town/i-Site
development. He said the current
crisis had confirmed his previous
“I didn’t think the whole rationale for
the thing was on a sound footing. In
terms of the business doing better —
I didn’t believe that by shifting Coal
Town in with the i-Site that everything
would be hunky dory.
“That ’s why I didn’t want to go ahead
with it, because I knew we would come
“But the fact is, and I think it was
pointed out the other night, we’ve got it
and we’ve got to deal with it.”
Coal Town in
Bathurst says it wants to drastically
reduce the area it initially mines at
Denniston, and in turn pull back
its compensation payments to
the Department of Conser vation,
suggesting that it should pay nothing in
the first year rather than the $4 million
The Australian-owned company has
been hit by collapsing international
compensation package with DOC,
agreed to last year, would fund pest and
predator control over 25,000ha in the
Kahurangi National Park and 4500ha
on the Denniston Plateau, as well as for
historic projects on the plateau.
In a letter and consent application
received by the West Coast Regional
Council last week, Bathurst said it was
proposing an extended construction
phase, and slower initial rate of mining.
Consequently it wanted to amend the
timing of the compensation payments.
It expected work would start at the
proposed Escarpment Mine on or
about July 1.
The company said the “total
Under the current plan Bathurst is
meant to make two payments in year
one of $1m and $250,000. On the first
anniversary, it would pay $687,500 and
$3.342 million, and so on.
It wants to reduce this in year one to
$204,450 and $381,550. In year two, it
wants to pay nothing.
However, once it ramps up, it would
pay more than what had been agreed to
After two years, it proposes reverting
to the original mining schedule as
proposed through the consenting
Regional council consents and
compliance manager Jackie Adams said
DOC had agreed to the proposal. As
the payments were in the terms of the
resource consents, Bathurst also had to
apply to the council.
Mr Adams noted that the total
amount paid would not change.
Bathurst wants to reduce mine area payments
The power was deliberately turned off
at Grey Base Hospital during the big
storm three weeks ago after a series of
Chief executive David Meates said the
hospital experienced many short-term
power interruptions and voltage drops
that on most occasions were too short to
give the generator time to kick in.
“This led to many short-term power
outages of a few seconds’ duration or
‘ brownouts’, which were disrupting the
operational capacity of the site,” Mr
A teleconference was held between the
on-site staff and the engineering team
in Canterbury and it was decided they
would fail the mains manually and ride
the storm out on the back-up generator
in order to protect the hospital.
Mr Meates said many of the local staff
worked late and through the weekend
to ensure ser vice delivery was relatively
Buller Hospital was affected by a longer
power cut, and the standby generator
there worked as designed.
However, Mr Meates said the storm
had highlighted some deficiencies in the
system. For example, Kynnersley Home
did not have an emergency supply.
The feasibility of connecting the rest
home to the standby generator was now
being looked at.
“It is very fortunate that we
have invested monies in electrical
Greymouth Hospital and a temporary
standby generator at Buller. If this
had not occurred, the outcome and
consequence of the storm would have
potentially been much worse,” he said.
Ross man, Kristofer Craig Jason
Hipson, will make Runanga his
home, and part-time prison, for the
next three months.
Hipson, 20, was sentenced
yesterday to three months home
detention — to be ser ved at
Runanga — and disqualified from
driving for 15 months on a charge
of driving while disqualified.
His Ross home was not
appropriate for a home detention
sentence so Hipson was told to find
another one or go to prison. Hipson
had misjudged an intersection,
allowing his car to stray into a ditch
at Hari Hari, on January 16.
A policeman who helped tow him
out discovered that Hipson was a
It was his fifth disqualified driving
charge but the court treated him
leniently on the third and fourth,
finding special reasons for not
imposing further disqualifications.
Yesterday’s judge, Gary MacAskill
was not so generous.
“ You are disqualified for 15
months. You are a recidivist offender
who would have been going to jail
but for your new address.”
Lawyer, Richard Bodle, said that
Hipson had been driving for work
not pleasure and had taken a risk
that he now regrets. Hipson had
disassociated himself from bad
Eldon Wereta George Wilson,
17, of Hokitika was sentenced to
nine months of super vision and
100 hours of community work
on charges of driving while
forbidden and trespassing on
He was also disqualified from
driving for four months because
his breaches of the conditions of a
learner’s licence had been persistent.
“ You are clearly in need of
super vision, Judge Gary MacAskill
said to Wilson.
are to include drug and alcohol
assessment, and or, counselling
and counselling for gambling
Disqualified driver to serve
sentence in Runanga
A recent arrival on the West
Coast who boasts a 16-page
criminal history citing 141 previous
convictions did not seek bail when
he appeared in the Greymouth
District Court yesterday on charges
of theft and possession of a cannabis
Matui Taipu Walker, 44, already
been in custody since April 28,
Judge Noel Walsh, saying then
that he was not prepared put the
Hokitika community at risk of
Walker had been living in
Hokitika less than two months
when police allege that he stole
25 meat packs from a freezer in a
Sewell Street property at 1.30am
on Anzac Day.
Police later recovered the meat,
and a cannabis pipe, when executing
a search warrant on Walker’s flat.
He had broken a window to get
access to the freezer.
Lawyer Eymard Bradley said in
April that Walker believed that he
was not guilty because he was “off
his head” on alcohol and drugs and
had little recollection of the theft.
He was aware that his drinking
and drug taking was becoming
unmanageable and was trying to
“He does not believe that he is
fully responsible for his actions
because of his illness.”
Bodle, said that Walker was still
contemplating his plea. Remanding
him in custody to a case review
hearing on June 17, Judge Gary
MacAskill said: “I don’t fancy his
chances of raising a successful
Recent arrival has long criminal history
The Sou’Westers will soon bring their
country and roots sound back to the West
Coast for the first time since 2012.
The band last performed in Hokitika at
the Wildfoods Festival two years ago and
are returning to perform at the Old Lodge
Theatre in Hokitika on May 31.
During their absence they have released
their album Going West, which spent six
weeks in the New Zealand album charts.
The Sou’Westers will play songs from their
album about New Zealand imagery steeped
in rich harmonys.
The band is made up of West Coaster
Dean Hetherington, a finalist in last year’s
MLT Songwriting awards, Aly Cook from
Tasman who was named New Zealand
Female Country Artist of the Year 2012
and award winning songwriter Liam Ryan
from Christchurch, best known for being a
member of iconic New Zealand band The
Narcs and Midge Marsden Band.
The Sou’Westers have performed gigs
last year from Northland to Nelson and
Australia, and Cook said they were looking
for ward to a small intimate concert in
“The Old Lodge Theatre is a lovely venue,
we always love to come to the coast for its
beauty, inspiration and it’s people, we have
sold a lot of CDs on the Coast and I hope
people will book to come see us perform the
Tickets are $20 and guests will receive a
meal during intermission. Tickets can be
pre-booked on-line through Event Finder.
Sou’Westers to bring country and roots sound back to Coast
Labour MP Damien
O’Connor says he will
hold a public meeting on
the future of Grey Base
Hospital in mid-June,
saying he wants to give
West Coast residents
the opportunity to look
health bosses in the eye.
announced the meeting
last week, and invited
Health Minister Tony
Ryall to Greymouth.
He said today he had
not heard back from Mr
Ryall, but the invitation
“If the minister or
the (district health)
board can look us in the
eye and tell us exactly
what they will deliver
. .. people need faith in
the process. Increasing
numbers of West
Coasters are distrusting
what we are being
told,” Mr O’Connor
It was an opportunity
for the minister, the
DHB and Ministry of
Health to explain clearly
to the public “what
exactly we will be getting
from a new hospital
“ What will that mean
for the rest of the
ser vices across the entire
The final sign off came
Mr O’Connor said
there was still be a need
for people who were
concerned to come along
and hear about the plans
“ We’ve had so many
statements of assurance,
but seen so little on the
ground. It ’s about time
people fronted up.”
By not holding the
meeting until June,
officials and the minister
would have time to work
through details, Mr
report released to the
Greymouth Star late
last month, dating from
November, revealed that
for $60 million, the new
would have only 36 beds;
the current hospital has
Plans releaed today
reveal a $67m hospital
with 60 beds, and three
Hospital power turned off
during storm after series of
West Coast women are being called on
to put up their hands up for a new award
to recognise women taking on two of
life’s great challenges — launching their
own business while raising a family.
Entrepreneurial mothers are being
asked to come for ward as part of the
Fly Buys Mumtrepreneur Awards, a
new scheme for all women who have set
up a business while bringing up kids at
The programme is open to businesses
from any industry and is awarding
10,000 Fly Buys points to category
winners and an additional 30,000
Fly Buys points to the supreme
mumtrepreneur of the year award
winner. The points are the equivalent
of a complete technology overhaul or
return flights and accommodation for
an overseas family holiday.
Fly Buys chief executive officer
Stephen England-Hall said the awards
were set up to recognise mothers who
have taken an entrepreneurial idea and
turned it into a reality.
“ We know the barriers to success for
anyone starting a business are high,
let alone for women whose focus and
energy is also needed elsewhere in their
There are five categories to enter,
including best product or ser vice,
best on-line or technology business,
best creative business, best food and
beverage business and the best agri
Entrants will be judged by an expert
To apply or nominate someone visit
are open from April 9 until June 20.
Coast women entrepreneurs
urged to put hands up
Links Archive May 7th 2014 May 9th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page