Home' Greymouth Star : July 1st 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
Tuesday, July 1, 2014 - 5
A classic car connected to convicted
fraudster Michael Swann has been
found abandoned in a Christchurch
The red E-Type Jaguar was recovered from
an undisclosed street by police last month.
Detective senior sergeant John Ferguson
of D unedin police confirmed police had
previously been looking for the vehicle.
Police were not in a position to comment
further on the car as a case was before
the court. However, a previous list of
Swann’s assets subject to court confiscation
orders includes a 1974 V12 E-Type
Another E-Type Jaguar had earlier been
confiscated and sold for $53,000.
“ We’re now preparing an application to
put before the court to have the vehicle
confiscated pursuant to the previously
granted pecuniary order,” Mr Ferguson
Swann remains subject to a $6 million
pecuniary order, which effectively means any
property recovered up to that amount could
be used to satisfy the order made under the
Proceeds of Crime Act.
Swann, who lives and works in Christchurch
as part of his release conditions, could not be
reached for comment yesterday.
Mr Ferguson said police would continue
to act on any good information relevant to
He praised the “tenacity” of a detective
working on the long-running case which,
combined with a tip-off from the public,
resulted in the car being recovered.
Last year, police recovered a 1922 Rolls-
Royce Silver Ghost linked to Swann which
was found stashed in a container at Port
Otago’s D unedin container yard.
A Ministry of Business, Innovation and
Employment spokeswoman confirmed the
Official Assignee has $3,334,010 held in
trust as a result of the sale of Swann’s assets.
In relation to the 1922 Rolls Royce,
the Official Assignee was conducting
investigations into the manufacture,
ownership and use of the vehicle, so it could
be properly valued.
It was bought for $160,000 in 2004. An
auction date for the vehicle was yet to be set.
The recovered E-Type Jaguar would be
sold by Turners Auctions in Auckland
Swann spent four years and eight months
in jail for his part in defrauding the former
Otago District Health Board of $16.9m.
— Otago Daily Times
Fraudster’s car found abandoned
The owner of an
company accused of
taking an impounded
boy racer car on a joyride
says he just wanted
to check the vehicle’s
But the tape of a police
inter view, played to a jury
at the Auckland District
Court yesterday, showed
he changed his story after
being told he had been
caught out by a Snitch.
Towie Michael Donald
Woods is on trial before
Judge Brooke Gibson and
a jury, having pleaded not
guilty to one charge of
unlawfully taking a motor
He was called by police
to pick up an impounded
Nissan Silvia from
Mount Wellington in the
early hours of April 15,
The 51-year-old owns
company East City
“The Crown says that
when Mr Woods got to
his yard with the car, he
took it off the back of the
truck and took it for a
joyride,” prosecutor Leo
Farmer told the court
“ What Mr Woods
didn’t know is that
(owner Erin) Ashe’s car
had a tracking device
fitted to it. It’s called a
The jury was played a
DVD of an inter view
Woods had with police in
late April 2012.
Woods said when he
took the car back to his
yard he saw other boy
racers hanging around.
When they left, Woods
followed them in his
truck with the Silvia still
loaded on the back, in
an attempt to get their
licence number for police.
But when police told
him the Snitch data
showed the car hit speeds
of 113kph and 105kph
at times unlikely in a
loaded tow-truck Woods
changed his story.
He said when he
loaded the car on to
his truck at Mount
Wellington the boy
racers were intimidating
him and saying he had
damaged the Silvia’s front
He wanted to check
that wasn’t the case,
so took it for a drive.
He did not think he
was travelling so fast,
however, because he was
uncomfortable in the car.
“ I can’t understand
why I’ve been made
out (as) the criminal
because of this,” he said.
“I’m sorry that I caused
everyone trouble. I’ve lost
everything because of
Mr Farmer said Woods
might argue during the
trial he did not intend to
use the car dishonestly or
that he thought he was
allowed to drive it.
But neither police
nor Ms Ashe gave such
Ms Ashe said she
uncovered her car’s
movements when she
logged on to its GPS
tracking website that
showed where, when and
how fast the car had been
“ I thought my car had
been stolen at first, then
I realised it was still at
the impound yard’s street
address,” Ms Ashe said.
“At this point I realised
it had just been taken for
When questioned by
Woods’ lawyer Jeremy
Bioletti, who did not
make an opening
statement to the jury,
Ms Ashe said she never
noticed the Snitch
The trial is expected to
finish today. — APNZ
The Interislander ferry Aratere will
arrive back in Wellington on Wednesday
after lengthy repairs — with the total
cost to taxpayers including lost revenue
and a stand-in ferry totalling more than
The ferry has been in Singapore since
March, where it has undergone testing and
repairs, after losing a starboard propeller
At a media briefing this morning Kiwi
Rail said the overall financial impact
including lost revenue, charter of the
replacement ferry Stena Alegra and cost
of repairs is estimated to be between
approximately $25m and $30 m.
Kiwi Rail continue to maintain that there
was no warning of the loss of the propeller,
and said none of the ship’s control system
monitors were abnormal.
While in Singapore, a number of
national and international experts looked
at all potential factors that could have led
to the tail shaft failure.
Kiwi Rail said from those expert
opinions, and findings while in Singapore,
they have concluded there were a number
of factors that led to the loss of the
As a result they were now reviewing their
insurance, commercial and legal position,
and because of this they were unable to say
more as to what caused the malfunction
without “prejudicing their position.”
Details of work to be carried out over the
next fortnight will include more sea trials
and under water inspections.
A leak down test to check for oil leakage
and a crash stop to measure the stopping
distance of the ship will also take place.
New Zealand First leader Winston
Peters said Kiwi Rail should announce
who will be fired for the Aratere
debacle after the financial impact was
“Incompetent management, on high
salaries, should be paying for this with
Kiwi Rail chief executive Peter Reidy
acknowledged that people had lost trust in
it, and said the company would now work
to regain that trust.
“ We’re being transparent about what
happens, and being transparent about
what we’re doing in the next two weeks
to get this back into ser vice.” The Aratere
carries out 45% of Kiwi Rail’s capacity,
alongside Interislander ferries Arahura
The Stena Alegra was replacing its
services, and had its last Cook Strait
crossing last Saturday. The Aratere is
tentatively scheduled to resume ser vice
from July 14. — APNZ
Aratere ferry costs reach $25m
A Mosgiel man is struggling to sleep
after being beaten and stabbed in
Kaikorai Valley, D unedin, on Friday
“I can’t sleep. I wake up every half
an hour with flashbacks of what
happened,” Brett Greenheld says.
The 21-year-old walked out of the
lock-up, which he and his friends
used as a workshop for their cars, in
Kaikorai Valley and found three men
waiting for him about 7pm.
“I got held down, kicked, punched
and stabbed,” he said.
“I was stabbed twice in the chest and
once in the top of the head and cut all
over the face.
“I thought I was going to die.”
He needed 17 stitches as a result of
the wounds, which were caused by
what he thought was a box cutter.
“My whole face was covered in
blood,” he said. “It was pouring out of
“ When I ran back back into the
workshop, I half-covered the floor (in
The attackers ran away and he was
able to call a friend, who alerted
Since the attack, Mr Greenheld
said he had been frightened about
returning to the scene.
“Every time I go down to the
workshop I get the shakes,” he said.
He did not know the attackers but
was able to get a close look at them.
“ Two were Maori with quite solid
builds, with black hoodies on ... and
there was one white skinny guy.” He
thought the attack might be personal
but “I don’t have a grudge against
anyone and they don’t have a grudge
“ I haven’t done anything to anyone,”
They did not speak during the attack
but laughed as they ran away.
Sergeant Dean Pearce, of Dunedin,
said police were reviewing security
camera footage of the incident and
called for any information the public
It was “quite a nasty assault ”, he said.
Mr Greenheld was in a lot of pain
after the attack and was “still very
sore”. — Otago Daily Times
PICTURE: Otago Daily Times
Brett Greenheld shows the wounds
he received after being attacked and
stabbed in Kaikorai Valley on Friday
Man struggling to
sleep after being
beaten and stabbed
Red Stress-Free Chair and Storage Box
From Y Furniture Greymouth
FREE CHAIR $1995.00
STORAGE BOX $499.00
or more at any of these
participating stores to go
in the draw.
Links Archive June 30th 2014 July 2nd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page