Home' Greymouth Star : July 4th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
Friday, July 4, 2014 - 7
Building and Construction
Nick Smith is
“disappointed and concerned” by
the structural engineer behind
the ill-fated CTV Building’s
decision to resign from the
industry professional body just a
week before facing a disciplinary
David Harding faces an inquiry
by the Institute of Professional
(IPENZ) into his work on the
six-storey office block’s design in
The CTV Building collapsed in
the February 2011 earthquake,
killing 115 people.
IPENZ has received a letter of
resignation from Mr Harding, but
said the two disciplinary hearings
will still go ahead on July 14.
However, his resignation means
the voluntary body can no longer
make an order against him.
“As a consequence, the form of
the hearing may be truncated,
and the nature of the disciplinary
limited than if Mr Harding
had remained a member,” an
IPENZ statement said.
Mr Smith’s office said he was
“disappointed and concerned” at
the last-minute move.
“He is of the view that it is
unacceptable for professional
people like Mr Harding to simply
resign and walk away when they
are being held to account,” a
spokeswoman for his office said
“This would not be possible for
any building designed after 2002
but the old Engineers Registration
Act effectively enabled a person to
avoid accountability in this way.
“The situation reflects the
inadequacies in the Act and
determination to make changes
to the system by which engineers
reforms before parliament rises at
the end of the month.
Mr Harding was employed as
a building designer by city firm
Alan Reay Consultants.
His boss, Alan Reay, also
resigned from IPENZ earlier this
year, resulting in an investigation
into his role in the CTV collapse
A separate hearing conducted by
Chartered Professional Engineers
into Mr Harding’s re-assessment
for continued registration as a
chartered professional engineer
in 2011 is intended to proceed as
Mr Harding’s lawyer Michael
Kirkland did not return calls.
Today IPENZ said that since it
can no longer make disciplinary
orders it was free to make public
comments about the CTV
It said the Canterbury
Earthquakes Royal Commission
investigation related to the CTV
building and fully accepts the
It specifically accepted that
the regulatory system of the day
placed no restriction on who
could undertake design work,
with the relevant requirement
being to meet the by-laws of
the Christchurch City Council
which were a set of technical
standards and requirements.
The Malaysian diplomat Muhammad
Rizalman bin Ismail facing charges for
sexual assault wants his return to New
Zealand to be deferred until after Ramadan.
A source in Kuala Lumpur has told the
Herald Rizalman has asked to remain in
the Malaysian capital until after Hari Raya,
which falls on July 28 and marks the end of
the Islamic fasting month.
However, it is understood the request will
not be entertained with a Malaysian foreign
affairs official saying the diplomatic corps
warrant officer will be sent back “as soon as
A doctor at the Tuanku Mizan Military
Hospital, where Rizalman is being held for
tests on his mental and emotional condition,
said he would not be discharged until the
medical examinations were complete.
“ We are still waiting for the reports to the
tests and then the doctors still need to write
their report,” the doctor said.
“It would take more than a couple of days,
so it ’s highly unlikely Rizalman will go
before the weekend.”
It is understood the diplomat has a history
His wife and three children are being
housed at a military apartment near the
hospital and visit him daily.
A senior military officer from Malaysia
will accompany the former defence staff
assistant at the Malaysia High Commission
back to New Zealand.
Malaysian Foreign Affairs Minister
Anifah Aman said the Malaysian
Government would provide legal assistance
to Rizalman if necessary.
The Government said Rizalman was
expected to return “within a matter of days,
not a matter of weeks”.
There is an active warrant for his arrest in
New Zealand, and police said he would be
arrested at the border as soon as he arrives
in the country and taken to the nearest
Green MP Jan L ogie, who has been
speaking to the victim, said the 21-year-old
woman had welcomed the decision to have
Rizalman tried in New Zealand.
“She is pleased that he will be coming
back to New Zealand to face justice.”
Meanwhile, Prime Minister John Key has
directly criticised the MFAT deputy chief of
protocol who gave Malaysia the impression
New Zealand was happy for Rizalman to
leave the country and escape the charges.
— New Zealand Herald
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Muhammad Rizalman bin Ismail is a patient at Tuanku Mizan Militar y Hospital.
Malaysian diplomat seeks
delayed return to NZ
A victim of a group assault says she
and her friends are now being cyber
bullied by those linked to the teenage
Tae Flavell, 19, has a broken ankle
and a bruised and battered body
following Saturday ’s assault, but it is
not the physical pain which affects
her the most.
Since she and friends Annalise
Cooper, 19, and Makayla Spiers, 18,
went public about being attacked
by a group of girls and the resulting
footage circulating on social media,
they have been subjected to on-line
“They talk on Facebook about how
we are liars and we provoked them,
and even if that was the case — which
the ground being booted,” she said.
Facebook threats connected to the
assailants — which included links
to the footage — warned of similar
threats awaiting others who talked
This week, a mother of one of the
teenage girls connected with the
serious assault apologised over her
The attack had left Miss Flavell
experiencing anxiety and panic
attacks, and “I am ner vous to go out
because I know people will be talking
“I just want them to realise that it
is not just the physical pain they have
inflicted upon us. It is hard to deal
with mentally as well ... I am very
traumatised. I am having nightmares
and they don’t understand that.”
Her friends no longer wanted to
socialise in town, and the incident “is
going to affect us for so long”.
However, she had been
over whelmed by support from all over
New Zealand since attack was first
“People have been very kind.”
Yesterday, police confirmed
they had made headway with the
“Police inquiries into the incident
are progressing well,” senior sergeant
Mark Crawford said
“ We have spoken to a number of
witnesses who have come for ward
and to almost all of those who were
present at the time the incident
— APNZ-Otago Daily Times
Assault victims Makayla Spiers, left, Annalise Cooper and Tae Flavell.
being cyber bullied
A $10 million expansion
at Cerebos Gregg’s
Dunedin plant will add
17 new jobs to the city.
The company confirmed
the number of jobs,
and said they would be
The good news comes
in what has been a
difficult year in the
South, with a Southern
Cross Forest Products
restructure costing 79
jobs at Balclutha, Milton
and Mosgiel, and about
70 job losses at Oceana
Gold’s Macraes mine near
Palmerston earlier this
Dunedin Mayor Dave
Cull said the new jobs was
“a great outcome”.
The confirmation came
as work continues to
demolish a Forth Street
building Cerebos Gregg’s
New Zealand country
manager Andre Gargiulo
said was once part of the
original Gregg’s factory.
Mr Gargiulo said
the building being
demolished had been
“ unused for many years
“They have been empty
for a while and in a state
of disrepair and needed to
announced in March
it would pump $10
million into expanding
its D unedin-based coffee
That was part of a plan
to consolidate its coffee
and food production to
Dunedin and Sydney — a
decision expected to result
jobs from its Auckland
plant when it shuts on
At present, the
Dunedin facility only
produced instant coffee,
but by December it was
expected roast and ground
coffee would also be
manufactured at the site.
That meant it would
become the centre of
the company ’s coffee
Mr Gargiulo said in
March millions of dollars
had already been invested
in the D unedin plant.
A further $10 million
would be injected into
the Forth Street factory,
to redevelop the site and
install new plant and
He said yesterday the
Forth Street building
would be replaced by an
extension of a warehouse,
a new amenities block
for staff, and some car
“Essentially, the new
warehouse will be built
over the old buildings.
“So, it’s really all about
gaining extra storage
The construction of the
new warehouse was due to
be completed by the end
of the year.
— APNZ-Daily Times
create more jobs
EVERYTHING FOR YOUR HOME
Like us on
PROUDLY MADE INNEW ZEALAND
QUEENSIZE MATTRESS & BASE
Endorsed by the NZ Chiropractors Association for
outstanding postural support, the Sleepyhead Torquezone
spring unit is renowned for its strength and durability.
Plush layers of Dreamfoam and Latex Gold pillowtop for
PROUDLYMADE IN NEW ZEALAND
Fabric may vary
* DISCOUNT IS OFF OUR STANDARD RETAIL PRICE AND APPLIES TO STOCK ONLY.
EXCLUDES APPLE PRODUCTS, BEKO WHITEWARE, GAME CONSOLES, MP3 PLAYERS, TABLETS,
SELECTED COMPUTERS, CARPET, GOODS ALREADY ON SPECIAL AND SMART SAVER ITEMS.
CRT & ATS CARDS ARE WELCOME, BUT NO FURTHER DISCOUNT APPLIES.
NOT AVAILABLE IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANY OTHER CURRENT PROMOTIONAL OFFER.
Selected Whiteware from
on all Furniture & Beds!
BONUS *Via Redemption
HWH450 SOUND BAR
Bring in your old set
top box and receive
UA48H6300 48” FULL HD 1080P LED/LCD TV
6 MONTHS OF SURF
STUDIO 3+2 LOUNGE SUITE
Clean modern lines and great comfort, all covered in hard-wearing Pellissima.
*Trade-in is for your old lounge suite in good overall condition
& linen sold separately.
RIVIERA QUEENSIZE MATTRESS & BASE
springs for personalised support and minimal partner disturbance.
layers and quilt provide a plush luxurious sleep experience.
* Trade-in is for your old bed
in good overall condition
TOP LOAD WASHER
ECLIPSE 4 PIECE BEDROOM SUITE
WITH QUEEN HEADBOARD
Eclipse is a simple design that suits any situation.
2 COLOURS AVAILABLE
SECONDS: THESE GREAT PIECES ARE
NOT UP TO OUR SUPPLIERS USUAL
STANDARD SO THEIR LOSS IS YOUR
GAIN. CHECK IT OUT NOW!
Cnr Boundary & Herbert Sts,
GREYMOUTH Ph: 768-4205
Links Archive July 3rd 2014 July 5th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page