Home' Greymouth Star : July 10th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
8 - Thursday, July 10, 2014
How to Survive the Bulls of Pamplona author gored in bull run
Israel punishes Gaza
An American who co-wrote a book
called “Fiesta: How to Sur vive the
Bulls of Pamplona” was badly gored
in the morning bull run at Pamplona’s
San Fermin festival.
A Spanish man was also gored in
the “encierro”, when runners in red
scar ves and white outfits dash through
the Spanish town’s streets pursued by
Chicago resident Bill Hillmann, 32,
tripped and fell when a bull gored
him in his right thigh, according to
festival website sanfermin.com .
The Spaniard, a 35-year-old man
from Valencia, was gored in the chest
and taken to hospital in a semi-
conscious state, officials said. The two
men are in a serious condition, the
regional government said.
A further three, all Spanish, were
taken to hospital with lesser injuries
from the chaotic stampede through
the narrow streets of Pamplona’s old
town, authorities said. All the injured
were men. Few women take part in
the run. Authorities did not give the
names of the injured men.
The overnight run was the third in
the week-long San Fermin festival,
depicted in Ernest Hemingway ’s
1926 novel The Sun Also Rises.
The daily bull run starts at 8am
(local time) and usually lasts abouy
three to five minutes.
It ends at the bull ring, where the
bulls are corralled before reappearing
in the evening bullfight, when they
San Fermin has become a global
tourist attraction, with tens of
thousands of Spaniards and foreigners
pouring into the Navarran capital.
Many participants drink and dance
Hemingway aficionado Hillmann
travels to Pamplona every year to take
part in the festival.
The black bull that gored him was
the heaviest of the morning’s six bulls
from the Victoriano del Rio ranch,
weighing around 600kg.
A 27-year-old man from Madrid
was the last person to be killed during
the bull run after being gored in the
neck in 2009. There have been 14
fatalities over the past century at the
fiesta, which dates to the 13th century.
The violence in Iraq is hastening the
end of nearly 2000 years of Christianity
there as the few remaining faithful flee
Islamic State militants, archbishops
from Baghdad, Mosul and Kirkuk said
War and sectarian conflict have shrunk
Iraq’s Christian population to about
400,000 from 1.5 million before the
United States-led invasion in 2003,
and now even those who stayed are
leaving for Turkey, L ebanon and western
Europe, the prelates said on a visit to
Brussels seeking European Union help
to protect their flocks.
The three — Chaldean Catholic
Patriarch Louis Raphael Sako, Syrian
Catholic Archbishop of Mosul Yohanna
Petros Mouche and Kirkuk’s Chaldean
Catholic Archbishop Youssif Mirkis —
are all eastern Catholics whose churches
have their own traditional liturgy but are
loyal to the Pope in Rome.
“The next days will be very bad. If the
situation does not change, Christians
will be left with just a symbolic presence
in Iraq,” Sako, who is based in Baghdad,
said. “ If they leave, their history is
The lightning seizure of the northern
city of Mosul last month by Muslim
Sunni militants sent many residents
fleeing. They wanted to return, Mouche
said. “But when they did, they found
no water, hardly electricity. There’s only
fear,” he said.
Even in Kirkuk, in the safer Kurdish
zone, Christians are leaving at a rate of
several hundred a day, Mirkis said. “O ur
presence was a symbol of peace, but
there’s so much panic and few Christians
see their future in Iraq,” he said.
Christianity in Iraq dates back to
the first century, when it was said the
Apostles Thomas and Thaddeus brought
the Gospel to the fertile flood plains of
the rivers Tigris and Euphrates.
Iraq is traditionally home to many
different eastern rite churches, both
Catholic and Orthodox, and their
presence was once a sign of Iraq’s ethnic
and religious diversity.
But many have been displaced
inside Iraq or forced to emigrate by
conflicts ranging from the Iran-Iraq
war to sectarian attacks. Unlike their
Sunni, Shi’ite and Kurdish neighbours,
Christians have no militias to protect
Christian leaders across the Arab
world, alarmed by the rise of hardline
Islamists in the wake of Arab Spring
uprisings, have tried to emphasise their
long histories in the region and have
urged their communities not to leave.
Sako said Christians were not being
persecuted for their beliefs by the
militants, who were once known as the
Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant
but are now called the Islamic State, an
offshoot of al Qaeda.
Still, two Chaldean nuns and three
children were abducted on Monday in
Mosul in broad daylight and churches
have been closed in the city, he said.
Smoke and flames are seen following an Israeli air strike in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip.
Israeli air strikes shook Gaza every
few minutes overnight, and militants
kept up rocket fire at Israel’s heartland
in intensifying warfare that Palestinian
officials said has killed at least 47 people
in the Hamas-dominated enclave.
Missiles from Israel’s Iron Dome
defence system shot into the sky to
intercept rockets launched, for the
second straight day, at Tel Aviv, the
country’s commercial capital. Some were
also aimed at Israel’s Dimona nuclear
plant, 80km from Gaza, but were either
shot down or landed in open country.
With cries of “Allahu akbar” (God is
great), Palestinians in the Gaza Strip
cheered as rockets streaked overhead
toward Israel, in attacks that could
provide a popularity boost for Islamist
Hamas, whose rift with neighbouring
Egypt ’s military-backed government has
deepened economic hardship.
Dimona, desert site of a nuclear reactor
and widely assumed to have a role
in atomic weaponry, was targeted by
locally made M-75 long-range rockets,
militants said. The Israeli army said Iron
Dome shot down one and two others
caused no damage; it was unclear how
close they came to the town or the
nuc lear site.
Communities near coastal Tel Aviv
and in the south, c loser to Gaza, were
also targeted. In the longest-range attack
since Tuesday, when Israel stepped up
its offensive, a rocket hit near Zichron
Yaakov, a town 115km north of Gaza.
At least 41 civilians, including 12
children, were among the 47 Palestinian
dead in two days of fighting, and some
300 people have been wounded, hospital
No Israeli deaths or serious injuries
were reported and Israeli news reports
hailed as heroes the military crews of the
Iron Dome batteries, which are made in
Israel and partly funded by the United
States. The military said 48 rockets
struck Israel overnight, and Iron Dome
intercepted 14 others.
With frequent explosions from air
strikes echoing through Gaza City,
its main shopping street was largely
deserted. Local residents reported
hundreds of attacks.
The Israeli military said it had
bombarded 550 Hamas sites, including
60 rocket launchers and 11 homes of
senior Hamas members. It described
those dwellings as command centres.
Palestinian officials said at least 25
houses were either destroyed or damaged
and not all belonged to militants.
Violence building up to the most
serious hostilities between Israel and
Gaza militants since an eight-day war
in 2012 began three weeks ago after
three Jewish students were abducted in
the occupied West Bank and later found
killed. Last week, a teenage Palestinian
was kidnapped and found killed in
Cairo brokered a truce in the conflict
two years ago, but the current, military
government ’s hostility toward Islamists
in general and to Hamas, which it
accuses of aiding fellow militants in
Egypt’s Sinai peninsula, could make a
mediation role more difficult. Hamas
denies those allegations.
Palestinian rocket barrages have sent
Israelis racing for bomb shelters, with
radio stations constantly interrupting
broadcasts to announce where sirens
have sounded. But the Tel Aviv Stock
Exchange seemed untroubled, ending
the day with shares slightly higher.
Israeli leaders, who seem to have wide
popular support at home for the Gaza
operation, have warned of a lengthy
campaign and possible ground invasion
of one of the world’s most densely
populated territories, home to nearly
two million Palestinians.
“ We have decided to step up even
more the attacks on Hamas and terrorist
organisations in Gaza,” Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement.
“The Israel Defence Forces are prepared
for every option. Hamas will pay a heavy
price for firing at Israeli citizens.”
Netanyahu’s security cabinet has already
approved the potential mobilisation of
up to 40,000 reser ve troops.
Netanyahu’s office said he had
discussed the situation with United
Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-
moon, German Chancellor Angela
Merkel and United States Secretary
of State John Kerry and that he would
speak to other world leaders later.
Washington backed Israel’s actions in
Gaza, while the European Union and
United Nations urged restraint on both
US President Barack Obama, in
a German newspaper article to be
published today, said: “At this time of
danger, everyone involved must protect
the innocent and act in a sensible and
measured way, not with revenge and
Life appeared deceptively normal in
Israeli cities, where shops were open and
roads clogged with traffic. But questions
were being asked on radio talk shows
about an exit strategy and a timeframe
for the offensive.
At a sidewalk cafe on a fashionable
avenue in Tel Aviv, patrons seemed
to take an air raid siren in their stride,
staying in line for their coffee as joggers
and cyclists passed.
Some 80km away in Gaza, there were
scenes outside homes hit by air strikes of
panicked neighbours, including mothers
clutching crying children, running into
the street to escape what they feared
would be another attack.
But at one convenience store, which
had remained open, customer Abu
Ahmed, 65, said he was pleased by the
militants’ resolve: “I am fine, as long
as Tel Aviv is being hit,” he said, as he
Israeli strikes on militants’ homes,
local residents said, are usually preceded
by either warning fire or a telephone
call telling its inhabitants to flee, in
an attempt by Israel to avoid civilian
casualties. But such bombing sometimes
injures or kills people in neighbouring
houses. — Reuters
PICTURE: Getty Images
The Iron Dome air defence system fires a missile to intercept a rocket over the
city of Ashdod in Israel.
Palestinian president Mahmud
Abbas has accused Israel of
committing “genocide” in Gaza
during its military campaign which
has so far killed 43 Palestinians.
“ It’s genocide — the killing of
entire families is genocide by Israel
against our Palestinian people,”
he told a crisis meeting of the
Palestinian leadership in the West
Bank city of Ramallah.
“ What ’s happening now is a war
against the Palestinian people as a
whole and not against the (militant)
“ We know that Israel is not
defending itself, it is defending
settlements, its main project,” Abbas
“ We are moving in several ways
to stop the Israeli aggression
and spilling of Palestinian blood,
including talking to Egyptian
President (Abdel Fattah) al-Sisi
and UN Secretary General Ban
Egypt overnight urged Israel
and Hamas in Gaza to halt their
spiralling conflict but played down
hopes of a Cairo-mediated truce.
“There is no mediation, in the
common sense of the word,”
Egyptian foreign ministry
spokesman Badr Abdelatty said.
“ Egyptian diplomatic efforts are
aimed at immediately stopping
Israeli aggression and ending all
mutual violence. (Egyptian) contacts
have not yet achieved a result.”
On the second day of Israel’s
Operation Protective Edge, Israeli
warplanes have so far hit 550 targets
in Gaza, and Hamas militants have
hit back with 165 rockets, some of
which struck Jerusalem and Tel Aviv
and as far away as Hadera, 116km
to the north of the coastal enclave.
Palestinian fatalities include
militants but also women and
children. More than 370 people
have been wounded. — AFP
Israel committing genocide: Abbas
China’s official news agency has
slammed Prime Minister Tony
Abbott for praising Japan’s World
War Two military prowess in his
welcome to Japan’s Prime Minister
Xinhua believes Abbott ’s admiration
of Japanese war skills was appalling
and “insensible” (sic) to victim
“ He probably wasn’t aware that the
Japanese troops possessed other ‘skills’,
skills to loot, to rape, to torture and
to kill. All these had been committed
under the name of honour almost
70 years ago,” Xinhua said in a
commentary on its website.
The agency is regarded as reflecting
the views of China’s government.
This comes amid growing Chinese
assertiveness in regional territorial
disputes. Japan is also shrugging off
the pacifist foreign policy it has had
since its defeat in World War Two.
More than any other nation, China
suffered under Japan’s 14-year military
occupation with as many as 20 million
In his address to the parliamentary
sitting attended by Abe, Abbott cited
the bravery of Japanese submariners
killed in the 1942 raid on Sydney
“ We admired the skill and the sense
of honour that they brought to their
task although we disagreed with what
they did. Perhaps we grasped, even
then, that with a change of heart the
fiercest of opponents could be the best
of friends,” Abbott said.
Xinhua said Abbott showed how
“ insensible” he is towards people
who suffered greatly as a result of
the “advanced” war skills of Japanese
troops and their sense of honour
during their aggression.
“ While Japan has earned the
reputation of a good international
citizen, how much does it owe to its
pacifist constitution, of which Abe
and his cabinet are trying to change
by re-interpreting its key article,” it
said. — AAP
Abbott praises Japanese war skill
PICTURE: Getty Images
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott with the Prime Minister of Japan,
Shinzo Abe, on a tour of the Rio Tinto West Angelas iron ore mine in
Pilbara, West Australia, yesterday.
Escort accused in Google
executive’s drug death on yacht
Santa Cruz (California)
An alleged high-end prostitute
accused of injecting heroin into
a Google executive on his yacht
in Santa Cruz and leaving him to
die when he overdosed appeared in
court overnight on manslaughter
and heroin charges.
Alix Tichelman, 26, in handcuffs
and red overalls, did not enter a
plea and was appointed a public
defender. She is being held on
$1.5 million bail.
Sur veillance footage from the
yacht shows Tichelman gather her
belongings, including the heroin
and needles, step over the 51-year-
old victim’s body to finish a glass of
wine and then lower a blind before
leaving the boat, Santa Cruz police
Police said Tichelman did not
provide first aid or call emergency
authorities as the man, identified
as Forrest Timothy Hayes, suffered
medical complications and became
unconscious during the November
overdose aboard his 15m yacht,
Escape. His body was discovered
the next morning by the boat ’s
captain, police said.
Police are also investigating
Tichelman in connection with a
similar incident in another State,
Santa Cruz deputy police chief
Steve Clark said. He did not
“There’s a pattern of behaviour
here where she doesn’t seek help
when someone is in trouble,” he
August, did not immediately
return a call seeking comment.
Assistant District Attorney Rafael
Vazquez said authorities are still
investigating the case and may file
more serious charges.
Tichelman was arrested on
July 4 after police said a detective
lured her back to the Santa Cruz
area by posing as a potential client
and reaching agreement on a price
of more than $1000.
Police said Tichelman, who
boasted she had more than 200
clients, met her clients through the
which purports to connect wealthy
men and women with attractive
companions. Her clients included
other Silicon Valley executives,
Clark said. — AP
It was one of the greatest love stories
in history and now the marriage
certificate that sealed the union of
Napoleon and his first wife Josephine
is to be sold at auction in September.
The document, dated March 8, 1796,
was signed by the future Napoleon I
and his fiancee Marie Josephe Rose
Tascher de La Pagerie, or Josephine,
the Viscomtesse de Beauharnais.
The wedding itself took place
the next day and the contract was
registered in Paris on March 18.
Despite history recording their
passionate love affair, the document
shows that the star-crossed lovers
could also be very practical.
The marriage certificate states that
the pair will “in no way be responsible
for the debts and mortgages of the
other” and that there will be “no
common property” between them.
The document is expected to fetch
up to 100,000 euros ($154,652),
when it is auctioned on September
21 by Maison Osenat, at a sale in a
suburb west of Paris.
The auction, which will feature a
number of other manuscripts and
items from the era, will also feature
two documents related to Bonaparte’s
arrest in 1794.
At a previous auction in 2007, a
love letter to Josephine written before
they were married, sold for more than
five times the pre-sale estimate.
In the letter, sold at Christie’s in
London, the future French leader
had written: “I send you three kisses
one on your heart, one on your
mouth and one on your eyes.”
The marriage was annulled in
1810, after the couple failed to have
children. — AFP
Napoleon’s marriage certificate up for auction
Mountaineers have made a grisly
discovery in the Mont Blanc range
of the Alps — the body of a young
climber preser ved in ice for 32
The body of Patrice Hyvert, who
had been training to be a guide,
was found last Thursday by two
mountain climbers, local newspaper
Dauphine Libere and other media
Hyvert was last seen alive on
March 1, 1982, when at 23, he
took off on a solitary climb up the
western side of the Aiguille Verte
mountain, part of the Mont Blanc
massif that straddles the French-
Italian border, before bad weather
set in in the afternoon.
Another climber was evacuated
from the same mountain two days
later, but Hyvert was not found.
Local police confirmed to
newspapers that the frozen body
was that of the missing climber,
finding his identity card still in his
The discovery came as a shock to
Hyvert’s 82-year-old father, Gerard.
“ I’m a mountain man, and I would
have preferred him to stay up there,”
he told RTL radio. “He was better
on a mountain than in a coffin. He
was in his element.”
The dangerous terrain, and
inclement weather, of the Mont
Blanc range results in scores of
deaths of mountain climbers each
year. The bodies of the missing are
often discovered the following year
after the ice thaws. — Reuters
Mountaineer’s body found 32 years on
Links Archive July 9th 2014 July 11th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page