Home' Greymouth Star : August 13th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 3
$NZ KIWI DOLLAR ($NZ1)
$$$$NZ KIWI DOLOLLAR ($NZ1)
source: interest.co .nz
OLOLOLONNN ODODODONNN (((UUUS$/S$/S$/S$/OOOOUNUNUNCCCCE)E)E)
PRPRPRPR CECECECEC OIOIOIOIO SUSUSUSUS MEMEMEMETTTTAAAATTTT LLLLSSSSS
source: interest conz
NEW YORK (US$/OUNCE)
source: interest.co .nz
mark tet move t
As at 4pm August 12, 2014
a2 Milk Company
0.68 +0.01 304.5
1.94 -0.005 13.26
0.99 +0.005 296.5
Auckland Intl Airpt
3.76 +0.005 55.41
ANZ Banking Gr
1.73 -0.005 7.92
5.40 -0.05 2.85
Diligent BM Services
DNZ Prop Fund
9.35 -0.02 1.82
4.79 -0.02 10.56
8.95 +0.05 474.9
Fonterra Shldrs Fnd
1.82 +0.02 124.4
Goodman Prop Tr
1.065 -0.01 1002
Guinness Peat Gr
2.425 +0.01 18.16
Kiwi Prop Tr
1.17 +0.005 567.2
14.59 -0.01 5.58
4.23 +0.01 27.68
Mighty River Power
2.37 -0.005 25.22
1.23 -0.02 40.00
Prop For Ind
3.25 +0.03 13.06
7.84 -0.01 97.79
1.59 +0.01 8.00
Sky Network TV
6.50 -0.01 26.24
2.75 -0.025 605.7
Steel & Tube
2.90 +0.01 16.70
Summerset Gr Hldgs
2.91 +0.01 78.77
3.07 -0.03 4.62
7.10 -0.05 0.80
Vital Hlth Prop Tr
22.85 -0.37 16.29
3.77 +0.01 15.18
Trading to 10:30am,
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
DECLINERS: 27 TRADED: 87
Aluminium High Grade
Police Commissioner Mike Bush has
arrived at Te Rewarewa marae in the eastern
Bay of Plenty to apologise to the people of
Tuhoe for armed raids on their community
nearly seven years ago.
Mr Bush was flanked by Bishop Kito
Pikaahu of the Anglican Church and a large
contingent of police and representatives
from other iwi ias he walked on to the marae
in Ruatoki to a thunderous haka.
Mr Bush will deliver the apology to iwi
inside the marae’s Anzac Memorial Hall.
The proceedings are closed to media.
The raids took place almost seven years
ago, when armed police searched properties
in the Eastern Bay of Plenty, Auckland,
Hamilton, Wellington and Palmerston
The police campaign labelled “Operation
8”, took place on the belief that some Tuhoe
had collaborated with terrorist training
camps in the Urewera ranges.
On October 15, 2007 dozens of people
including the elderly and schoolchildren
were stopped at checkpoints in Taneatua
The operation resulted in 17 arrests for
firearms offences nationwide.
The Independent Police Conduct
Authority found the Tuhoe raid was justified
but police acted unlawfully detaining
occupants at five properties.
The Human Rights Commission received
31 complaints about police actions in the
raids, and found innocent people had their
human rights contravened when they were
illegally searched and detained.
Late last month Mr Bush personally
apologised to six Tuhoe families affected
by the raids including the family of veteran
activist Tame Iti, who ser ved 30 months on
firearms offences following the raids.
Mr Bush said the visits were to
acknowledge the fear that the people of
Tuhoe experienced, the situations they were
placed in and the damage that was caused.
— APNZ-New Zealand Herald
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Police commissioner Mike Bush walked on to the marae in Ruatoki to a thunderous haka.
makes apology to Tuhoe
A three-year-old boy has been found
dead in a river 200m from his home by his
father and a neighbour.
The boy was reported missing to police
about 20 minutes before his body was
found in the Ohinemuri River, Waihi,
yesterday afternoon, police said today.
Senior sergeant Peter van der Wetering
said police arrived about 3.30pm.
He said the death was not being treated
as suspicious and the coroner had been
Police named the boy as Ezra Tapp.
“O ur deepest sympathy goes out to the
family because of this tragedy, Mr van de
Wetering said. — APNZ
dead in river
A woman and young child
were carjacked in Manurewa by
two armed men who had just
robbed a sports bar and forced
the woman to drive them away
from the crime scene.
Police said two men entered
the Sports Bar on Great South
Road near the Southmall
shopping complex on Monday
One of the men stood at the
entrance holding a weapon and
stopped patrons from leaving.
The second offender went
behind the bar area and stole
Both offenders ran from the
Sports Bar through Southmall
and across the overbridge
of the Manurewa Train Station.
“After they fled the shopping
complex, the two offenders
forced a member of the public
to stop her car,” detective
senior sergeant Ross Ellwood
“There was a young child
in the front seat and the two
offenders got in the back.
They then forced the driver to
drive them to the intersection
of Wordsworth Road and
Weymouth Road, Manurewa. ”
The men then got out and
were last seen running across
Weymouth Road towards
Friedlanders Road, Manurewa.
“This is a particularly
frightening experience for a
member of the public who was
inadvertently caught up in this
crime,” Mr Ellwood said.
“ While the victim was very
shaken by the experience,
thankfully she was other wise
One of the men was wearing
a black hoodie with the words
West is Best in white writing.
Police were appealing for
information about the people
involved in the aggravated
robbery or to anyone who saw
the two offenders running
through Southmall, the
Manurewa Train Station
area, or near the intersection
of Weymouth Road and
Friedlanders Road, Manurewa.
Woman and child carjacked by armed men
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
One of the suspects.
An offender who invaded the
home of an elderly stranger, beat
him in bed with a broom handle
and robbed him, was on bail and
subject to intensive super vision at
the time, the Gisborne District
Tutawake Rangituahia Paniora
Karaitiana Ngata Maxwell, 24,
was jailed for six years and three
months after pleading guilty to
On May 9 Maxwell smashed
his way through a sliding door
into the bedroom of a 74-year-
old man who was alone and
recovering from heart surgery,
and demanded his car keys and
The sentence also covered two
breaches of a protection order,
the circumstances of which bore
similarities to the later home
invasion, Judge David Ongley
On that occasion Maxwell
entered the home of the
complainant — his former
partner — during the early hours
of the morning.
He woke her up and scared her
with threatening language.
In a victim impact statement the
woman described Maxwell as an
“awesome” person when he was
sober. He needed counselling for
alcohol abuse, she said.
“It is difficult to understand that
intoxication could make so much
difference to your character and
conduct,” the judge said.
Maxwell was on bail for the
protection order breaches and a
breach of community work when
he committed the home invasion.
He was also subject to intensive
The judge noted Maxwell had
26 convictions for a range of
offending “but nothing at this
level of seriousness”.
The home invasion was at night,
there was actual violence and
threats of kidnapping. The victim
was vulnerable by age, being alone
and having ill-health.
“ You were drunk. The man was
a complete stranger to you. He
was a widower, living alone and
recovering from major surgery,”
the judge said.
“You went on to the deck of
his home and threw a piece of
firewood through the ranch slider
of his bedroom to gain access.
“ You beat him with the broom
handle as he lay in bed — until
“He fell out of bed.
“ You grabbed his walking stick
and followed him to the kitchen
to get the items you demanded.
“He tried to flee but you chased
him and began to hit him with
the stick until it broke into pieces
across his shoulder,” Judge Ongley
The psychological consequences
of the offending were “very
The man now suffered constant
anxiety for his safety, the judge
prosecutor Fiona Cleary that
there could be no discount for
While discount for his guilty
pleas would acknowledge some
remorse, there would be no
further discount for a letter
Maxwell wrote to the court, the
Ms Cleary said the victim was
significantly out of pocket in
relation to the offending. But
the judge said reparation would
be impractical due to Maxwell’s
Counsel Mark Sceats said he
had advised Maxwell to carry the
letter with him in future and refer
to it should he ever feel at risk of
As Maxwell left the dock, his
supporters in the gallery yelled
Black Power gang slogans.
Maxwell could be heard shouting
the same slogans as he was led
downstairs to the holding cells.
— APNZ-Gisborne Herald
When Antoine Dixon severed
ex-girlfriend Simonne Butler’s
hands with a samurai sword, it was
“just one more day” in a life of sex,
drugs and violence.
The shocking P-fuelled crime
spree, in which Dixon also cut off
the left hand of girlfriend Renee
Gunbie before driving to Auckland
and shooting dead James Te Aute,
happened 11 years ago.
Now Ms Butler has written a
“gory” book about that life based
on journals dating to 1997, with
the intention of using her ordeal to
“A lot of people would come
across me who had way less crap
in their lives and they ’re letting it
drag them down and nothing drags
me down, nothing ever has, and
that is very helpful to people.” The
yet-to-be published book, called
Recalibrate, features the January
2003 attacks by the late Dixon,
Ms Butler’s brave recovery and her
study of shamanic healing — a
spiritual healing process involving
an intermediary to the supernatural
The 39-year-old is open and
frank about her life before Dixon,
saying she was “young and
dumb”and that she comes off
looking “pretty stupid” at times in
“It’s full of sex and drugs,” she
“It’s full of violence. My hands
getting chopped off was just one
bad day in my life.
“I was getting beaten up every
other day. For everyone else that
was this really bad thing, but for
me it was just one more day in my
life.” During the attack at Pipiroa
near Thames, Dixon bilaterally
amputated both Ms Butler’s
hands, which had to be surgically
She has almost no use of her left
hand and about 65% use of the
Ms Butler was in hospital for a
series of operations, which she said,
in hindsight, changed her life.
“It gave me a lot of time to slow
down and look after myself and
figure out what I wanted to do
with my life.” Reaction to the book
from family and friends had been
positive, she said.
Asked about Dixon’s other
samurai sword victim, Ms Gunbie,
she said she had not spoken to her
former friend in 10 years.
Ms Butler, who recently became
a sur vivor spokeswoman for
Women’s Refuge, launched a
Pledge Me fundraising page
yesterday to raise the $75,000 she
needs to publish the book.
She hopes to raise the money
through the crowd-sourcing
website in two months, and last
night held a project launch party in
Auckland, where she now lives.
Last night there had been 14
pledges donating $805 which Ms
Butler was “rapt with”.
She hopes to hire a ghost-writer
to polish the book and to learn
how to write professionally.
“I ’ve probably got a good 15
books in me and maybe 10 novels,
but let ’s hope they don’t all take 11
years to get out.”
— APNZ-New Zealand Herald
Antoine Dixon sword victim writes book
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Simonne Butler, inset, Antoine Dixon.
Police have seized items from
the Gold Coast apartment where
a young New Zealand woman
plunged 14 storeys to her death
from a balcony.
Forensic investigators yesterday
completed an examination of
the Avalon apartment in Surfers
Paradise where Warriena Rrie
Wright, 26, fell about 2.30am on
Police have also been trawling
through on-line comments and
CCTV footage for clues to her
death, which is being treated as
Ms Wright, who was on the Gold
Coast for a wedding, had been at
the apartment with 28-year-old
bodybuilder Gable Tostee. He was
questioned by police and released
It was revealed yesterday that
Mr Tostee had logged back on to
Tinder — the dating app where he
met Ms Wright — only days after
He checked in on his Tinder
profile on Monday morning, the
Gold Coast Bulletin reported.
Police have taken copies of Mr
Tostee’s on-line posts, including
boasts on a bodybuilding forum
about 150 sexual encounters and
He also posted
that he was
“devastated” by Ms
and denied he had
told APNZ that
police were aware
of the on-line posts,
but were not making
any comment on
“O bviously we will
look at whatever
is presented, but
whether it forms
a part of any
the track is debatable. But certainly
for intelligence and information
purposes, we’re looking at them.”
A forensic examination of the
apartment was completed yesterday.
Mr Hutchinson said police had
seized some items during the
search, but he would not go into
A post-mortem examination
of Ms Wright ’s body was also
completed yesterday. It would be
some time before toxicology results
Arrangements to return Ms
Wight ’s body to her family were
“ We’re hoping that the family
might be able to get over later in
the week,” Mr Hutchinson said.
Police had not inter viewed Mr
Tostee since he declined to answer
questions last week.
“ He exercised his right to silence,
which he’s entitled to do, so that ’s
where we are at this stage. ”
Asked whether police would
be talking to him again, Mr
Hutchinson said: “ We’ ll see how
the investigation unfolds.”
It emerged yesterday that Mr
Tostee allegedly had two run-ins
with police earlier this year.
Australia’s Nine News reported
Mr Tostee was charged with public
nuisance offences, assaulting police
and obstructing police after an
incident on January 27.
He was also charged after a high-
speed police pursuit, in which he
allegedly drove drunk at speeds of
up to 200kph, on July 27.
Mr Tostee was due back in court
on August 27. — APNZ
Police seize items from Gold Coast apartment
Warriena “Rrie” Wright, left, and Gable Tostee.
A protesting prisoner has come back
down to earth after spending two days
and one bitterly cold night on a roof at
The inmate agreed to come down
yesterday following negotiations with
Northland Region Corrections
Facility manager David Pattinson said
there was no possibility of the prisoner
escaping, nor was the community in
danger at any stage.
No one was injured during the stand-
Mr Pattinson said Corrections staff
were trained to deal with such situations
and did an excellent job of resolving
it. An investigation into the incident
would be held, he said.
The department has said it will make
no further comment on the incident. It
is not known how the inmate got on
to the roof or what he was protesting
A source told the Northern Advocate
the man was a remand prisoner who
managed to get on to the roof on
Monday. Monday night was cold —
the mercury dropped to 3degC in the
Mid North — with thunderstorms,
rain and winds strong enough to fell
trees near Okaihau and Kerikeri.
— APNZ-Northern Advocate
Protesting prisoner spends
cold night on roof
A wealthy Hong Kong family have
bought three office towers in Auckland’s
CBD for $65.5 million in one of the
biggest property deals of the year.
The sale involves two buildings on
Fort St, including the 13-level Walker
Wayland Centre, and the Shortland
Chambers building at 70 Shortland
Street owned by the Shortland Street
A variety of businesses, including law,
accounting, technology and consulting
firms are housed in the buildings.
Ima Bistro, which serves traditional
Mediterranean and Israeli cuisine, and
Ben Cafe are on the ground floor of the
14-storey 57 Fort St tower.
According to Kevin Richards, capital
markets senior broker for Savills, the
family were attracted to the sale because
of the relatively high return on New
The office towers had sold at a yield
“ In Hong Kong and Singapore, prime
properties change hands at yields as low
as 2.5 to 3%,” Mr Richards said.
“ Prime yields in Sydney have recently
fallen as low as 5.2%.”
manages Shortland Trust, said it would
continue to oversee the buildings until
the end of the year.
Nadeem Ali, chief financial officer
of Shortland Management, said the
organisation wanted to create a stable,
long-term client base within the
buildings it managed.
“The new owners have indicated
their desire to take a similar long-term
News of the sale had contributed to
a decision to put the General Building
at 29-33 Shortland St on the market,
The building, which accommodates a
number of well-established professional
businesses, brings in $1.77m in rent
each year and is also owned by the trust.
— New Zealand Herald
Hong Kong buyers pay $65.5m
for three office towers
PICTURE: New Zealand Herald
Walker Wayland Centre at 53 Fort St
(left), Shortland Chambers Building
at 70 Shortland St (above) and 57 Fort
St (right) which have all been sold to a
Hong Kong based family.
Legendary actress Lauren Bacall, an
icon of Hollywood ’s golden age who
lit up the silver screen in a series of
classic movies opposite her husband
Humphrey Bogart, has died aged 89.
“ With deep sorrow, yet with great
gratitude for her amazing life, we
confirm the passing of Lauren Bacall,”
the Bogart estate confirmed in a brief
statement on Twitter today.
United States media reports said
Bacall had died after suffering a massive
stroke at her home in New York this
Born Betty Joan Perske — “a nice
Jewish girl from the Bronx,” as she later
put it — Bacall electrified Hollywood
in her 1944 screen debut To Have and
Have Not, when she famously met
Bogart and “taught him how to whistle”.
She was just 20.
With her smouldering gaze and deep,
husky voice, she soon became a hot
property both in Hollywood and on
Bacall spent much of the rest of her
life coming to terms with her early
superstardom, which grew into a seven-
decade screen and stage career.
It would include wartime dramas and
film noir with Bogart, action movies
with John Wayne, a romance picture
with Gregory Peck and a comedy with
When Bogart died from throat cancer
in 1957, Bacall placed a whistle in his
coffin. — AFP
Lauren Bacall dies aged 89
Alleged home invader was on bail
Links Archive August 12th 2014 August 14th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page