Home' Greymouth Star : August 18th 2014 Contents Greymouth Star
2 - Monday, August 18, 2014
Batter y theft arrest
A 28-year-old Greymouth man
was locked up at the weekend, and
charged with burglary following the
theft of a number of car batteries
from a North Beach Road, Cobden,
property. The batteries had been
removed from old cars that were
destined for the scrap heap.
Fifth hopeful for forum
A fifth candidate has been
confirmed for the Greymouth Grey
Power meet the candidates forum
tomorrow. In addition to Damien
O’Connor (Labour), Maureen Pugh
(National), Kevin Hague (Greens)
and Claire Holley (Conser vatives),
Peter Salter will represent the Ban
1080 Party. The forum opens at
1.30pm at the Holy Trinity hall and
is open to the public.
Pukekura man Pete Salter has
been confirmed as the West Coast-
Tasman candidate for the Ban 1080
Party. Mike McClunie, of Hokitika,
and party founder Bill Wallace,
of Nelson, are list candidates. Mr
Wallace is co-leader of the party
with Mike Downard, who is
standing in Coromandel.
Port of Greymouth. — Arrivals:
Nil. Departures: Tawera, two
Greymouth vessels. In port:
Galatea II, Remus, 22 other vessels.
Expected departures: Galatea II,
today. Expected arrivals: Jay Elaine,
Thursday; Cook Canyon, Friday.
New Zealand Transport Agency files reveal
that only one brief mention was made of a new
Taramakau Bridge in the six months prior to the
National Government ’s surprise announcement
for a new bridge, on June 29.
Criticised by opposition MPs as an election
lolly, the Greymouth Star requested under the
Official Information Act, copies of all e-mails,
correspondence, file reports and file notes
between Kiwi Rail, the NZTA and Transport
Minister Gerry Brownlee’s office, over plans for
the existing road-rail bridge and any plans for a
new road bridge.
Prior to Mr Brownlee’s announcement, a
replacement bridge had been off the radar for
about 10 years.
Kiwi Rail communications co-ordinator
Louise Jago said they would have to decline the
Official Information Act request because the
information “does not exist ”.
“There has been no communication between
Kiwi Rail and Minister Brownlee’s office
regarding the Taramakau Bridge between
January 1, 2014 and July 31, 2014.”
After the announcement, Kiwi Rail, which
owns the 125-year-old road-rail bridge, said it
was committed to the current structure, after
having only recently completed a $9.8 million
Mr Brownlee touted a new bridge as costing
between $10m and $15m.
Meanwhile, the NZTA turned up a solitary
file note for the minister’s office, dated April 30.
At little over 50 words, the document
suggested a new bridge could be proposed
instead of a clip-on for the current bridge.
“The estimated cost of the clip-on is $1m. The
construction of a replacement bridge is being
considered by your office as part of a package of
regional projects which may be accelerated,” the
“A replacement bridge could negate the need
for the clip-on as it would likely be designed as
two road lanes plus cycling-walking facilities. ”
Yet on May 16, Mr Brownlee told the
Greymouth Star that they had the NZTA
looking at the clip-on options “very seriously”.
Then, after the new bridge was announced,
NZTA said they were reviewing a clip-on to act
in the interim until the new bridge was built.
A clip-on had been proposed as a means for
cyclists to get safely over the bridge, notorious
for accidents involving riders negotiating the
Little mention of
new bridge before
A Westport man involved in the
decapitating and gutting of sheep
to feed his dog was sentenced in the
Westport District Court on Thursday to
Brad Colin Kerr, 24, pleaded guilty to a
charge of theft of animals.
Police prosecutor Steven Greer said
that on July 29 Kerr and an associate
entered Patterson Park, where some
sheep were being kept.
They caught a sheep and used a sharp
knife to cut its throat then decapitate it
and sliced into its stomach, gutting it.
They also gutted another sheep removing
an unborn lamb.
Police located one of the carcases in
Kerr’s garage. He said he had taken it to
feed his dogs.
Defending, Doug Taffs said Kerr
apologised for the offending. It had not
been his idea and he had not taken part
in the slaughter but he went along with
He had been co-operative with police
and since the offending had been to
see the victim personally. Mr Taffs said
that would not have been a comfortable
meeting and it showed moral strength.
Kerr had also tried to help locate his
co-offender who was from out of town,
Mr Taffs said.
He had paid $360 in reparations, which
also covered his co-offender’s share of
He had needed the meat for his dog at
the time of the offending because he was
on the benefit but he now had full-time
employment at Landcorp.
He had an application to convert his
community work to fines before the
court but Mr Taffs appreciated the
latest offending would not help that
He would be working additional hours
with the calving season coming up and
community work on top of that would be
too much for him physically.
Judge Jackie Moran said she
was not prepared to cancel Kerr’s
community work but she could defer its
commencement for four months until
the end of the calving season.
She said Kerr was well aware of the
abhorrence of what he had done and that
it was “utterly inhumane”.
The court had no sympathy if the victim
had given Kerr a hard time when he
went to see him. The victim was entitled
to be angry.
She convicted him and sentenced
him to 80 hours of community work
cumulative on his current hours. The
work would be deferred until December.
— Westport News
Stockton stress led to attacks
Monday August 18
Urgent cases only
Phone 769 7493 first
5pm - 8pm
John. — Passed away at
Greymouth on August
16, 2014, in his 60th
year. Dearly loved son
of the late Colin and
Violet (late of Kaiapoi),
loved brother and friend
of Keith and Wendy,
Grant and Bruce, and
Helen and Eric, and
a loved nephew, and
cousin. “Now at Rest”.
Messages C/- PO Box
417, Greymouth 7840.
A Service for Malcolm
will be held in the
Memorial Chapel, 134
Tainui Street, Grey-
mouth tomorrow (Tues-
day) at 11am followed
by cremation at the
Services Ltd. FDANZ.
Phone (03) 768 0250.
Monica. — January 31,
1952 - August 18, 2004.
May those many souls
who she cared for in life,
be with her now
FDANZ Funeral Home
Ph 768 0250
Formally NZ qualified
National Cert. Funeral
Directing Reg. FD (FDANZ)
Providing professionally set
Standards, Values & Ethics
Code of conduct
Premises and facilities
Ensuring you get Expertise
and Qualified Funeral
August 14, 2014, peace-
fully at Allen Bryant
Lifecare, Hokitika. Aged
88 years. Mother of
Craig, Glen and Janet
Ornsby and Cocoa.
Loved Grandma of
Jason and Daniel, Kelly,
Steven and Nathan,
Adam and Georgia.
Loved great-grandma to
Savanna and Rose, also
loved by Hollie and
Lachlan. Dear friend to
Connie. Thank you to
staff at Allen Bryant
“Grandma you will be
Messages C/- 111
Revell Street, Hokitika
7810. At Alison's
request a private service
FDANZ. Phone (03)
PICTURE: Laura Mills
Musician Dean Thomas warms up at the first Buskers Festival and Night Market, held in Greymouth on Friday. Organised by the
Grey District Youth Trust, pictured, it included a variety of food and craft stalls as well as performances. The trust timed the event
to coincide with the simultaneous opening of the Left Bank Art Gallery’s latest exhibition entitled ‘Greymouth 150 years, Then and
Buskers enter tain at night market
A Westport man under stress over
restructuring at Solid Energy’s Stockton
Mine attacked four people with a steel
poker in April.
Stuart Leslie Menzies, 40, pleaded
guilty in the Westport District Court on
Thursday to four charges of assault with a
Police prosecutor Steven Greer said
Menzies ran out of his Brougham Street
house early on the morning of April 27 and
hit four people passing by with the steel
The victims yelled that they did not do
anything. One grabbed the poker and threw
it across the road.
Three of the victims suffered scratches and
grazes and the fourth had no injuries but
suffered anxiety as a result.
“In explanation the defendant said he was
tired of people damaging his letterbox,” Mr
Menzies had not known any of the
Defending, David Holloway said the
offending had been out of character for
Menzies. That was supported by a letter
from his doctor, which also provided some
reasons as to why he might have committed
Mr Holloway said Menzies, who works at
Solid Energy’s Stockton Mine, was under
significant work stress due to the current
local mining situation. Recently, 184 jobs
have been cut at the mine.
Mr Holloway said Menzies’ hours had
been reduced putting him under financial
Menzies was remorseful for what had
He had offered to make contact with
medical ser vices at the time of the incident
for the victims. The offer was not taken
up and none of the victims were seriously
Mr Holloway said a conviction would be
a penalty in itself as it would put a stain
on Menzies’ record, which was essentially
unblemished to date. He had one previous
conviction from a long time ago.
Judge Jackie Moran told Menzies people
were entitled to walk past his home or
anywhere else “without being attacked by
someone wielding a poker”.
She convicted him and sentenced him to
100 hours of community work and ordered
him to pay each of the victims $300 in
emotional harm reparations.
Menzies is not the first person to put his
offending down to stress about the current
mining situation in Westport.
Job losses at Stockton were cited in two
drink-driving cases in the Westport District
Court last month. — Westport News
of the Hokitika Guardian
The Westland District Council
has granted itself retrospective
consent for the newest pensioner
housing block in Hokitika.
The $750,000 development of 10
motel units in Tudor Street into
residential flats was completed
by the council-owned property
company last year. The complex
has been fully occupied since.
However, it was only given
full consent last week after a
Commissioner Martin Kennedy
heard from submitters who were
mostly concerned about the size
of the dwellings and outside space.
The transformed former Aneden
Motels are non-compliant, with
the density requirements of the
council’s own District Plan, which
sets a minimum of 300 square
metres per dwelling.
The size of the outdoor areas of
each flat were also questioned by
independent consultant planner,
Stewart Fletcher, who initially
said consents for the flats should
be declined. He only changed
that ruling during the hearing
after adjustments from Westland
District Property Ltd proponents
were put for ward.
In his findings, Mr Kennedy
noted the changes, which included
increasing the size of the smallest
unit by adjoining it with the one
Landscaping was also to be
carried out to define individual
outdoor areas from car parking,
and residents in units one to five
were also to be provided with
bench seating for the front of their
To address concerns that
neighbours may be affected in the
future by any change of use of the
site away from pensioner housing,
a covenant to ensure it remained
as over-60s accommodation was
Mr Kennedy also noted a
precedent in the size of pensioner
housing had already been set by
other council-owned units in
Sewell and Tancred streets, which
were also under the square metre
requirements of the District Plan.
In summary, he said the overall
development filled a need in the
“The proposal will provide for
the well-being of the community
through the provision of pensioner
housing accommodation, which
is in demand in the district. The
proposal makes use of existing
built resource and has progressed
through a thorough process which
has seen the proposed use of the
site clearly defined and amended
to ensure that is appropriate to the
site and location,” Mr Kennedy
stipulated as part of the consent
relating to the future use of the
site, including subdivision, and
timeframes for the identified
Retrospective consent for pensioner flats
A lawyer has argued an Inangahua man
who drove while suspended last month
did so to protect his job.
William Frank Robinson, 26, pleaded
guilty in the Westport District Court
on Thursday to a charge of driving while
Police prosecutor Steven Greer said
police stopped Robinson driving on
State highway 6 near Inangahua on
July 22. He was stopped because he
had no trailer light and his vehicle was
unwarranted and unregistered.
Robinson told police he knew he was
suspended but was travelling between
farm blocks and could not avoid the
Defending, Alan Heward asked that
Robinson receive community work
rather than a further disqualification.
He said the farm Robinson had
been working on was sold and he was
unofficially working for the new owner
while he waited for his employment to
The new owner had to travel to
Christchurch in a hurry and asked
Robinson to feed the calves.
Mr Heward said Robinson drove to the
next paddock to help his future employer
and to make sure he would regain his
Robinson was already complying well
with a community work sentence for a
It would be difficult for him to be
without his licence for more than the
Judge Jackie Moran said what
Robinson did was foolhardy and he must
have known he was not allowed to drive.
Considering his circumstances she
substituted 80 hours of community work
for a disqualification. — Westport News
A man who blew almost twice the
legal breath-alcohol limit when police
stopped him in Reefton last month says
he thought he would have been under
the drink-driving limit.
Representing himself, Lawrence
Petra George Friedlick, 30, labourer, of
Reefton, pleaded guilty in the Westport
District Court to a drink-driving charge.
Police prosecutor Steven Greer said
police stopped Friedlick driving on
Sinnamon Street on July 27. He blew
700mg and told police he had had five
stubbies and half a glass of wine.
He said he thought he would be under
the drink-driving limit.
Judge Jackie Moran said Friedlick
would be walking for a while.
She said he had thought he was below
the limit but he was almost double it and
must have known that he should not
have been behind the wheel.
He had a previous under-20 conviction
from 2003 and that should have been
the only warning he needed.
She convicted him and fined him $800
and disqualified him from driving for six
months. — Westport News
Coasters get chance
for SNA consultation
The Greymouth Salvation Army has been
granted funding to use the Macleans Pit landfill
despite missing the cut-off period.
Last month the Grey District Council
considered requests for financial assistance for
community groups towards landfill fees. The
budget of $5000 was then fully distributed to
The Sallies made a late application for
assistance to the amount of 12 tonnes, which
equates to a cost of $2870.
A staff report to the council meeting this
week pointed out that the organisation was
occasionally used as a dumping site.
“Unfortunately, their premises are used after
hours by a minority to dump worthless goods.
“The more they publicise the issue the more it
is advertised to those that are looking for a ‘free
Waste management councillor Cliff Sandrey
approved the funding, but recommended the
Salvation Army be notified of cut-off times in
The council acknowledged that the Salvation
Army was delivering key ser vices to the
community, deciding to use money from the
land sales reser ve fund to pay for the extra
Sallies get dump fees help
The West Coast public will soon have the
chance to comment on the controversial and
long-running issue of ‘significant natural areas’
declared over private land.
Grey District Council environmental ser vices
manager Steven May said that after a 10-year
process, the council was only months away from
The Resource Management Act requires
councils around New Zealand to protect
significant natural areas (SNAs) on private land,
essentially confiscating it from the owners.
The council encountered problems in 2007
when three Candlelight farmers mounted a
legal challenge after an ecologist identified
potential SNAs over most of their properties.
The argument was resolved when the
Department of Conser vation agreed some
of that land was not significant, given other
protected bush and swamp in the area, finally
allowing it to be struck off the list.
The West Coast Regional Council had also
previously been taken to the Environment
Court by DOC and Forest and Bird over the
Mr May said what began with a data matching
exercise had been followed by approaching
landowners with a regional liaison officer.
That process had been helpful to “de-mystify
the debate” around the subject and inform
landowners just how much land was being
There were people on both ends of the scale,
The conflict was between areas that needed
to be preser ved for the district, and landowners
who wanted to use the land for farming
The council was now at the stage of putting
all the information together to go to a
A public consultation round would be
held, and people would be able to make their
“Everybody will get their opportunity to have
a say,” Mr May said.
The issue was about six months away from
going before the council.
When the issue came up for discussion at
the council meeting, Mayor Tony Kokshoorn
once again opposed it, saying that private land
was being confiscated and owners should be
Mr Kokshoorn said he had heard of one
landowner who stood to lose 70% of their
property as a result of SNAs.
One of only a handful of commercial eel
fisherman on the West Coast says he is being
forced out after losing a High Court case.
Bruce Reay has been a self-employed
commercial eel fisherman for about 30 years.
Although he was awarded eel quota, he
claimed the Department of Conser vation was
using his concession application to manage the
fishery, so he took his complaint to court.
Mr Reay said last week he won some minor
points, but lost the major one. He now needs
permission to cross the marginal strip. He
questioned what would happen if that was
enforced beyond eel fishing.
He said he had hoped the ruling would see
him through to his retirement in five years.
“I wanted to leave the industry on my own
terms but I’m being forced out,” Mr Reay said.
The judge did find DOC was wrong to require
separate applications to be filed with different
conser vancies, and also its ‘acknowledgment
of payment of costs form’ dated in 2010 was
It also agreed that DOC did not process
Mr Reay’s concession application within a
Eel fisherman ‘being forced out’
Pair arrested after drugs found in car
A man wanted on arrest warrant was found in
a car pulled over by police in Greymouth at the
weekend, and while officers were inter viewing
the driver, a 30-year-old woman, they got a
whiff of cannabis.
A subsequent search of the vehicle uncovered
cannabis and a glass methamphetamine pipe
for smoking ‘P ’. The woman was arrested and
charged with possession of the drugs, and her
27-year-old passenger was also arrested.
Speedster caught with cannabis
A speeding motorist pulled over by police
near Karangarua yesterday was also caught with
Police recovered about 15g of cannabis, 80
cannabis seeds and cannabis oil from the vehicle.
The 50-year-old man, from Southland, will
answer a number of drugs related charges in the
Greymouth District Court later this month.
Links Archive August 16th 2014 August 19th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page