Home' Greymouth Star : July 11th 2019 Contents $333,333 Lotto
win to Greymouth
Three is the luckiest number for
a Greymouth punter who collected
a cool $333,333 in the Lotto draw
last night. The winning ticket, sold
at Greymouth New World, was one
of three to clean out first division,
the other winnings going to
Auckland and Hamilton. Powerball
was not struck and has rolled over
to Saturday night, where the jackpot
will be $12 million. Strike also
rolled over and will be $300,000 on
Man breaks free
of electronic bail
A 39-year-old Greymouth man
was arrested overnight for breaching
his electronically monitored bail.
Police said the man had been
allowed electronic bail overseen by
the Department of Corrections.
He was in custody overnight and
was due to appear in court this
morning pending submissions from
Corrections on whether he should
resume electronic bail or be kept in
road’ section sold
A small section of unformed road
reser ve adjoining the south bank
of the Punakaiki River and just off
State highway 6 will be formally
stopped and sold. The Grey District
Council approved the road stopping
on Monday night following an
application from Frank and Lyn
O’Donnell ,whose residence
partly sits on the road reser ve. The
proposal was publicly notified and
drew no objections.
Rain easing by evening
As Europe continues to roast in
a heatwave, police were forced to
pull over a man who was riding
a scooter wearing nothing but a
helmet and sandals. The naked rider
claimed he was trying to cool down
and simply defended his nudity
by telling officers: “It ’s too hot ”.
The force in Brandenburg lander,
north-east Germany, shared images
of the naked man to Twitter and
wrote: “ We can’t disagree with what
he said.” They told the man to ‘put
some pants on’ and let him continue
his trip. German meteorologists
announced this week that the 1947
heat record for June was broken
in Coschen, where 38.6degC was
recorded. — Metro
Greymouth’s SPCA’s longest
resident seeks new home
Coast’s best axemen
by Janna Sherman
Hokitika has been rocked by
the death of a baby boy after
sustaining a serious head injury at
A 30-year-old local man charged
with the murder of the 10-month-
old wept almost constantly when
he appeared in the Christchurch
District Court yesterday afternoon
via video link from Christchurch
The violent death flies in the face
of stated aims to make Hokitika
Local group It ’s Not Hokitika,
was launched last year as part of the
Ministry of Social Developments
It ’s Not OK campaign.
Co-ordinator Stephen Brassett
said as the alleged attack was an
ongoing police investigation there
was little he could say at this stage.
“O ur sympathies go out to
family and greater whanau for
their tragic loss.”
Champion and anti-violence amb-
assador Mike Keenan said it was
“a disgrace and a shame”.
“This poor, innocent 10 month-
old was just starting out in life.”
Mr Keenan wrote an opinion
piece in the Guardian only weeks
ago about similar crimes elsewhere
in New Zealand. He was shocked
to find it now happening “in our
“It suddenly feels very real. Why
are we like this? Why are we doing
this to young, innocent kids? It’s a
disgrace and a shame.”
A neighbour, who had only
recently gone to police with
concerns for the welfare of the
child, said it was too close to
“Having to explain to my kids
what is happening and that the
little baby is not coming home
has been hard. Through no choice
of my own I’ve had to show my
kids the worst part of this sh..ty
Police had spoken to her and
others in the neighbourhood
about alleged drug activity at the
property in the months leading up
to the alleged murder.
The baby was taken by
ambulance from the house in the
early hours of Tuesday morning.
He was airlifted to Christchurch
Hospital in a critical condition but
died at 11.45am yesterday.
A 30-year-old man was originally
charged with intentionally causing
grievous bodily harm to the child,
but later in the day that was
upgraded to murder.
The man’s name has been
suppressed for now, and his
connection with the baby.
reported the man appeared by
video-link from the cells, and wept
almost throughout the 30-minute
hearing late yesterday.
Judge Alistair Garland remanded
him in custody for an appearance
in the High Court in Greymouth
on July 30.
The judge refused media
applications to film or photograph
the court appearance. The defence
and police both sought interim
name suppression because the
inquiry was still in its early stages,
and some family members were
still being told.
Judge Garland declined an
application to release the man on
bail and remanded him in custody
until he appears in the High
“Police are providing support
to the baby’s family, who have
requested privacy at this difficult
time,” police said in a statement.
Police staff who attended
the incident have been offered
A neighbour said the baby was
carried to the ambulance lying flat
and appeared to be on a ventilator.
The accused also travelled in the
ambulance, but as a passenger in
The death is the second of its
type on the West Coast in recent
Four years ago, 15 month-
old Greymouth toddler Leith
Hutchison was taken to Grey Base
Hospital in cardiac arrest and not
breathing. He died two days later
in Starship Hospital in Auckland.
Leith’s father, Dane Blake,
manslaughter of his son from
PICTURE: Brendon McMahon
A small crowd bustled in Guinness Street this morning as eager book buffs lined up for a bargain at the three-day Greymouth Bookarama. About 40 intrepid
bargain hunters were there early as the doors opened to the Coastwide Honda venue at 9am. Within 20 minutes the entire display was being well combed over by
young and old. The popular annual second-hand book sale has been a Greymouth institution for decades. Bookarama is open until 7 o’clock tonight, from 9am to
7pm tomorrow, and ends on Saturday at midday.
Coast sceptical of 80kph plan
A template from the Government to
possibly lower open road speed limits
would put “a handbrake” on the West
Coast economy, the regional council
heard this week.
Councillors described the new policy
direction as another example of “the
green agenda” impacting on the region.
A proposed variation to the 2015-21
West Coast Regional Land Transport
Plan to include a template for a
speed management programme was
put before the West Coast Regional
Council meeting on Tuesday.
It follows a Government push to
review “appropriate operating speed ”
for all roads, with lowering the open
road limit to 80kph on the cards.
The West Coast Regional Transport
Committee presented the variation,
with a view to incorporating the speed
review in the transport plan.
A staff report before councillors said
that when the plan was first published
the national speed management
programme was being developed.
“The NZ Transport Agency has
now formalised the approach to speed
management and seeks to include
regional State highway activities in all
regional land transport plans.”
Associate Transport Minister Julie
Anne Genter, a Green Party list MP,
recently stated the Government ’s
intention to lower open road limits
to 80kph, due to “high benefit”
opportunities to lower road crash risk.
Cr Peter Ewen said his concern was
the lack of detail in the proposed plan
variation and the economic implications
of dropping the open road limit.
“If that is the case, it will be a
whole handbrake on the West Coast
economy,” Cr Ewen said.
Cr Neil Clementson, who sits on
the transport committee, said the
committee was certainly worried about
“Central Government are not dumb
enough to say, right, it’s 80kph right
across New Zealand. They ’d be gone by
lunchtime — so they ’ve got this speed
management guide ‘template’,” he said.
Cr Allan Birchfield said it appeared an
indirect way to push a certain agenda.
“I don’t trust this. I’m like Peter, it’s
the green agenda to get everyone on
bikes and walking. They don’t like fuel
Cr Clementson said the policy relied
on urban realities.
“It relies a lot on bike transport.”
Chief executive Mike Meehan said
he was unsure what might happen if
the council rejected the template as
Cr Clementson likened it to the policy
dilemma faced with the introduction of
the significant natural areas covering
private land, and if the council did not
address the proposed variation now the
issue could be taken out taken out of
“It would go out to public
Cr Birchfield said the council should
be cautious given the previous history
of government policy announcements
suddenly impacting in a consultation
direction that did not account for the
West Coast economy.
“I would draw a parallel when they
were consulting on the West Coast
Accord. They had (former Green MP)
Jeanette Fitzsimmons running the
committee. They had no intention of
As it was any variation could
immediately have huge implications on
West Coast travel times, Cr Birchfield
Cr Terry Archer said the problem
was that in agreeing to the variation
the council could find itself agreeing in
principle to a policy direction and “the
outcome is the whole West Coast is
“They will turn around and say, ‘oh,
council has already approved it’,”
Cr Archer said.
Mr Meehan said the council could
request further detail from the
committee, to buy time.
“I’m not sure how the committee will
feel about council rejecting it based on
Less than half the assistance sought
for dump fees by community groups
will be funded by the Grey District
Council in the coming year.
The council this week approved
the allocation of a $5000 budget for
2019-20 as a support fund for landfill
fees for sporting, community and
It received requests equating to nearly
50 tonnes for dumping, although the
budget allocation equates to only 17.7
councillors detailed requests from
18 organisations, including charity
opportunity shops, local reserves and
other volunteer organisations.
“The $5000 budget equates to a mass
of rubbish of approximately 17.7 tonnes
able to be allocated within budget.”
However, applications received, when
broken down to volume of waste,
totalled 49.35 tonnes.
Council staff noted that some
materials could be disposed of at no
charge, such as recyclables and green
“The intention was to encourage
applicants to think about the
alternatives that are available, and as
with all users, reduce the volume of
waste into the landfill.”
The council approved an approach
where each successful applicant would
be given a voucher, which would in turn
be presented to the council to apply the
cost against the allocation made to each
“Any shortfalls will then be recovered
from the applicant and any balance will
be retained for their credit,” staff said.
The report said the allocations were “de
facto funding” of some organisations,
while also noting they were “delivering
key ser vices” to the district.
Council falls short with dumping help
Bookworms chase a bargain
$1.50 (Home Delivery $1)
$1.50 (Home Delivery $1)
Phone 769 7900
Phone 769 7900
The most read newspaper per capita in New Zealand
Readership of 11,000
THURSDAY, JULY 11, 2019
THURSDAY, JULY 11, 2019
* Need finance for a vehicle on our yard?
We can help!
* Need finance for a vehicle not on our yard? We can help!
* No need to e-mail, scan or send documents away. We can do it all for you!
* You might be surprised what we can finance ..... Call in and see us!
Westland Lawnmower Services
ON THE SUNNY NORTH SHORE, COBDEN
Setting the Standard
Newcastle St, Cobden
Phone (03) 768 5771
A TRIO OF JULY CHAINSAW DEALS!
Links Archive July 10th 2019 July 12th 2019 Navigation Previous Page Next Page